• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

221 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2024 at 8:18 AM, MAR1979 said:

I recall Bob and others like him being dead set against CGG for multiple years at the start. They will waffle and flip flop on their opinions if the marketplace shows even a hint of being kind to PSA. B|

Have I flip flopped on CBCS?

I thought I was being very nice to the PSA Rep.  I did not get into Mark Wilson's character or past history.  I stuck strictly to the holder.

I didn't even get into the fact that a wall display of these holders would pretty much collapse most everything out there.

Holders don't fit into existing boxes.

Edited by blazingbob

On 8/7/2024 at 1:58 PM, blazingbob said:

Have I flip flopped on CBCS?

On CBCS you are correct as no reason existed to do so :) Thus my mention of CGC. BTW you were in the majority opinion at the time and there are still some dealers who have not budged. You were smart enough to flip flop early enough to not fall behind. Changing ones mind based on data is a positive thing. Did you interpret it differently?

Holders not fitting into Existing Boxes or being too large for 914M2 legal size Mylites actually is a big deal. Its the type of thing that may prevent folks from even testing PSA out. Time will tell, but as of now seems not to be a smart move

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/7/2024 at 12:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

On CBCS you are correct as no reason existed to do so :) Thus my mention of CGC

Holders not fitting into Existing Boxes or being too large for 914M2 legal size Mylites actually is a big deal. Its the type of thing that may prevent folks from even testing PSA out. Time will tell, but as of now seems not to be a smart move

There's boxes and bags for graded magazines and I thought someone mentioned earlier that the PSA slab is closer in size to a CGC magazine slab.  Would the storage products for graded magazines work for PSA comic slabs?

On 8/7/2024 at 3:13 PM, Number 6 said:

There's boxes and bags for graded magazines and I thought someone mentioned earlier that the PSA slab is closer in size to a CGC magazine slab.  Would the storage products for graded magazines work for PSA comic slabs?

I've never found Mylites proper for CGC Mags, seems not enough demand. I recall BCW may have had polypropolyne  for tem at one time.

Anyone have box reccomedation for CGC mags?

On 8/7/2024 at 1:13 PM, Number 6 said:

There are also the slab mailers to consider for those in the sales end of things.

On 8/7/2024 at 1:58 PM, blazingbob said:

I didn't even get into the fact that a wall display of these holders would pretty much collapse most everything out there.

My wall display would hold them. I have seen the types of walls that people who do shows a lot use and it boggles my mind. I do two shows a year and I use industrial stuff that can take many, many times the weight I put on it. 

Had no idea that these cases can't fit into existing boxes - that is a show stopper for me since I do not want to have to buy specific supplies if I do opt to try them out. This is my off-ramp. 

On 8/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, kcm54 said:

There are also the slab mailers to consider for those in the sales end of things.

MCS has nice CGC Mag size mailers, wonder if they custom made for them....

On 8/7/2024 at 3:17 PM, kcm54 said:

Yeah, exactly. I lump all of that into a general category of supplies that I do not want to have to re-buy. 

On 8/7/2024 at 12:17 PM, MAR1979 said:

I've never found Mylites proper for CGC Mags, seems not enough demand. I recall BCW may have had polypropolyne  for tem at one time.

Anyone have box reccomedation for CGC mags?

There's a seller on eBay that has "Mylar" bags for graded magazines.  I don't know if it's actual Mylar or not, but they are nice and clear, not cloudy like poly bags typically are.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:23 PM, Number 6 said:

There's a seller on eBay that has "Mylar" bags for graded magazines.  I don't know if it's actual Mylar or not, but they are nice and clear, not cloudy like poly bags typically are.

Polypropylene...and that seller knows it! Been going on for years.

I prefer mylar as it does have a bit of inherent UV protection. Currently I use tabloid mylites but there is an extra inch of space on each side which looks kind of bad.

Edited by MAR1979

so a question as to PSA'a handling of the book IN the slab.  Have they suggested their slab, while heavier, sturdier and etc, will better protect the comic inside it?  I find it hard to believe that theres a different, better way to do this given all the different shapes and sizes of comics that -- in more than 3 revamps of the CGC holder -- that they have not thought of or implemented..  

On 8/8/2024 at 6:13 PM, Aman619 said:

so a question as to PSA'a handling of the book IN the slab.  Have they suggested their slab, while heavier, sturdier and etc, will better protect the comic inside it?  I find it hard to believe that theres a different, better way to do this given all the different shapes and sizes of comics that -- in more than 3 revamps of the CGC holder -- that they have not thought of or implemented..  

Someone has already done sturdier and clearer with no Newton rings.

Surely someone else can improve even further.

On 8/6/2024 at 8:34 PM, Tom789 said:

Isn't that what "naturally" occurs with spine roll correction? 

Sort of. In the example you give of your Avengers #4, the revision entailed placing the fold of the spine back into the position where it was originally located. Due to the roll, the spine fattened and the pages fanned out, however, on the example I cited, and many more like it done by the same crew, the spine was completely re-located by pressing the book flat while opened up to the centerfold and refolding a new spine in a shifted location! This placed what was the spine to the right side of the back of the book! This was not done to correct a spine roll. The book was not rolled to begin with. This was done to reposition the wear on the spine, stresses and fractures to the spine area of the back cover, where it had a diminished effect of wear! 

Edited by Kirby_Fan

Regarding the recent influx of CGC 9.9s and 10s. I’ve seen many reasons suggested for this but does anyone think it’s possible that CGC was preparing for PSA’s market entry and the possibility they might apply their 9.0 -10 grading scale they use with cards to their comic grading, and thus increased 9.9 and 10s.  

One of the many factors that went into PSA burying Beckett in card grading was that Beckett had the Gem Mint 9.5 and reserved 10s for only absolutely perfect cards. PSA eliminated the 9.5 and liberally passed out 10s to cards that would have been 9.5s at Beckett. Beckett 9.5 cards are now well below PSA 10s in value. People just like getting 10s. It’s simply more aesthetically pleasing to see a 10 on your collectable than a 9.5 even when it is common knowledge that they are effectively same grade amongst serious collectors. And for the drooling masses who entered the hobby during Covid I’m sure many of them assumed the PSA 10 indicated a superior card condition than a Beckett 9.5. The Beckett 9.5 grade suggests that there is a flaw, however minor. The PSA 10 grade (falsely) indicates perfection.  Is CGC worried that their 9.8 will become the Beckett 9.5?

PS - I am aware that at the moment PSA has said they are going to use the CGC grading scale. However it remains to be seen how liberally they intend to dole out 10s

Edited by OJ Pimpson

On 9/3/2024 at 3:02 PM, MemorezGuy said:

Will the PSA Red Label be the new label of death? hm

I don't get why people have an issue with red on the label. If CGC had adopted that as the color for Restored, I could see that. (And CGC may have made a mistake by not having the foresight to do that.)