• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Houseroy has officially lost his mind
3 3

58 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2024 at 11:41 AM, AlterEgo2024 said:

From the article.

"... with myself as editor-in-chief quite content to let Len, John and Herb handle things once I gave out general marching orders."

And then demand primary credit afterwards. Sounds like Roy learned a valuable lesson from his mentor.  :50849494_winkemoji:

Yes, that comment immediately bothered me.  Doesn't sound like there's any 'roy' in team and he's gonna push for as much credit as possible and as little for everyone else involved.

Also from the article...

"He is known for his work as the co-creator of numerous popular characters, including Vision....."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Vision already a character in the 1940's Timely comics?

Roy certainly deserves credit for reviving and updating the character in Avengers #57, but in no way did he a co-create the character unless he was writing comics in his playpen.

On 8/1/2024 at 12:04 PM, AlterEgo2024 said:

Also from the article...

"He is known for his work as the co-creator of numerous popular characters, including Vision....."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Vision already a character in the 1940's Timely comics?

Roy certainly deserves credit for reviving and updating the character in Avengers #57, but in no way did he a co-create the character unless he was writing comics in his playpen.

In the 1940s, there was a character named The Vision, just as there was a Human Torch, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, Thor, etc.  The Vision Roy created had more in common with the GA Torch than the era's Vision.   He didn't revive the 1940s character, he invented a new character that shared the same name. 

On 8/1/2024 at 3:14 PM, shadroch said:

In the 1940s, there was a character named The Vision, just as there was a Human Torch, Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman, Thor, etc.  The Vision Roy created had more in common with the GA Torch than the era's Vision.   He didn't revive the 1940s character, he invented a new character that shared the same name. 

Thomas along with John Buscema created a "new" character who has a strikingly similar appearance to the 1940's Vision. The details of the "new" character are absolutely different than the 1940's character, but would the "new" character have existed at all if not for the original? Thomas has often said that he wanted to revive the 1940's Timely characters in some way. The obvious example of this is Avengers #97.

Do you think Thomas would have have chosen the name "Vision" for the "new" character if the original 1940's Vision didn't exist?

Do you think Thomas/Buscema would have come up with the existing visual design of the silver age Vision if the 1940's character didn't exist?

IMO the only way Thomas deserves co-creator credit is if he and Buscema had created an entirely new character with an entirely new look, origin and name. He did half of that, and basically had Buscema copy and update the original 1940's visual design of the character.

On 8/1/2024 at 7:17 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

:50849494_winkemoji:

Thank you for highlighting my post :headbang:

Simply trying to show an example of a topic discussion that not everyone in CG may be familiar with and the similarities of the splash to the cover of AV57.

The Vision is one of my all time favorite SA/BA characters. Love the merging of the GA Vision & Human Torch into the origin story in AV58.

-bc