• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic creators would deserve a credit for a character they didn't create but molded them into what we know......
2 2

36 posts in this topic

Piggy backing off the Roy Thomas/Wolverine credit discussion. What creators do you think took a character and by their influence made the character into what we view the character(s) to be (visually,  personality, etc)...

Personally, I think Joe Kelly ( Deadpool), Claremont/Byrne (Wolverine), and Larry Hama (G.I. Joe) would deserve such a creator designation if we could. Thoughts?

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

Joe Kelly - Deadpool 

Simon Furman - The Transformers 

Claremont/Miller - Wolverine. 

Roy Thomas - whatever he chooses on any particular day. 

On 8/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

DC Detective Comics #395 starring Batman and Robin - Picture 1 of 3

Green Lantern #76-- 1970-- Neal Adams--1st Green Arrow Team Up--comic book - Picture 1 of 2

Batman: The Killing Joke 1988  First Edition 🔥🔥🔥 - Picture 1 of 5

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns #1 DC Comics 1986 Miller 3rd Printing UNREAD - Picture 1 of 2

Man of Steel 1 of 6 Series Alternate Cover (Variant) Never Opened 1986 - Picture 1 of 12

Thor #337 (1983) HIGH GRADE Newsstand | 1st Beta Ray Bill | Marvel Comics - Picture 1 of 7

THE PUNISHER 1 (1986) LIMITED SERIES FRANK CASTLE NICE HI GRADE SEE PHOTOS - Picture 1 of 14

Miracleman #1 Eclipse Comics Marvelman Alan Moore - Picture 1 of 8

NEW TEEN TITANS #1 [1980 VF-] GEORGE PEREZ & MARV WOLFMAN    DC COMICS - Picture 1 of 2

Steady on !

On 8/5/2024 at 3:46 AM, southern cross said:

What about Bernie on Swamp Thing?

giphy(7).gif.12710518c4ff300964b1e32a22cbc090.gif

And Bill Finger for the dark version of Batman before those young whippersnappers Adams and O’Neil got credited ? :preach:

More limited than one might think at first.

The best example I could come up with, about formerly non A-list characters getting elevated by creators at a later stage to comics stardom are the current generation Guardians of the Galaxy, and their Annihilation era re-imagining by Giffen, Abnett and Lanning, also the potential there, in the end, for the new team to be used as the inspiration for one of the best Marvel Studios films.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, AJD said:

Carl Barks with Donald Duck is going to be hard to beat.

large.FC_0199.JPG.85d29528e37f9cc2f082a4a454072115.JPG

That’s a good one.

Will all due respect to Byrne, I think much of Wolverine’s individual backstory comes from the Claremont/Miller series. I think Claremont and Byrne gave us the look and the persona; Claremont and Miller fleshed out the backstory behind the simple name “Logan.”

On 8/5/2024 at 9:41 AM, Readcomix said:

Will all due respect to Byrne, I think much of Wolverine’s individual backstory comes from the Claremont/Miller series. I think Claremont and Byrne gave us the look and the persona; Claremont and Miller fleshed out the backstory behind the simple name “Logan.”

I’m not taking away anything from Miller’s significance on Wolvie’s character development.  However, it was Byrne & his contribution to the character that made him interesting enough as the loner-member of The X-Men to warrant the first mini-series.

Prior to Byrne, Cockrum liked/wanted to focus on Nightcrawler, which was his favourite.

so, if it wasn’t for Byrne’s contribution towards focus/evolution of Wolverine and his mysterious loner persona, I don’t think we would have even had the Claremont/Wolvie mini-series, right?  (shrug)

On 8/5/2024 at 10:28 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I’m not taking away anything from Miller’s significance on Wolvie’s character development.  However, it was Byrne & his contribution to the character that made him interesting enough as the loner-member of The X-Men to warrant the first mini-series.

Prior to Byrne, Cockrum liked/wanted to focus on Nightcrawler, which was his favourite.

so, if it wasn’t for Byrne’s contribution towards focus/evolution of Wolverine and his mysterious loner persona, I don’t think we would have even had the Claremont/Wolvie mini-series, right?  (shrug)

Agreed; I read us saying pretty much the same thing. Byrne Claremont moved him center stage and flavored him. Claremont Miller fleshed out the rich details. Fully formed wolverine is very much an ensemble character.  He didnt come out of the gate fully formed.