• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

🌕Tec 31🦇 or 🌟Cap 1🇺🇸?
2 2

🌕Tec 31🦇 or 🌟Cap 1🇺🇸?   

50 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose one (1), which book are you taking and why?

• Detective Comics #31 (August 10, 1939)
    • Captain America Comics #1 (December 20, 1940)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/2024 at 07:00 AM

29 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2024 at 12:42 AM, piper said:

Cap 1

First appearance trumps classic cover.

I couldn't care less about a first appearance, but I like both books.

I would go with Tec 31 because it's scarcer. I would have bought one 20+ years ago while it was still cheap, but I couldn't find one with nice pages. I think I was open to off-white back then, but I couldn't even find one with off-white pages. Every single copy that showed up had C/OW (or worse) pages.

TEC #31 easy. Sure the other one is a 1st appearance, but it's for a character whose popularity is explicitly tied to a specific country motif which I find limiting (yes, he is popular outside of America, but compared to the universal appeal of Batman it comes up short) and it isn't as scarce as this early Batman book.

I do own both and immediately thought it would be easy to say Cap 1 but I will go with Tec 31 if we're talking equal value.

It might be because my Cap is decent condition and my Tec 31 is ragged needing an upgrade that I don't see me doing at my age and prices.

I do believe the better long term investment is Cap 1.

Easy choice for me.  I'd rather have the Captain America, but then I'm not much of a Batman fan, so that probably has something to do with it.  I love Cap cover with him knocking the mess outta Hitler.  The Batman cover just looks like his tailor made a mistake and he'd have to duck through every doorway.  It's an ok cover to me, I guess, but the action and historical nature of the Cap cover makes me love it more.

*runs*

On 8/5/2024 at 2:15 PM, Larryw7 said:

Tec 31 easily. The best cover for the best comic book hero. For Cap, I would prefer 74 to most of the earlier books.

For me I would much rather have Captain America #3 over #1 - there is just more 'comic-book goodness' going on with that cover over the first issue (if that makes sense; Red skull nazi villianry, Cap using his ROUND shield, boy AND girl bondage, GIANT GUN!

Origin story, Kirby art, one of my favourite characters, classic Nazi Smashing cover 

More to Cap 1 for me.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Hi, Ben...that's a tough one. I think Cap 1 b/c it is an awesome cover AND a momentous first appearance. Judging only by the covers, I'd give 'Tec 31 the nod.  BTW: Congrats on your new 'Tec 31 my friend.