• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

egerber mylite 2 quality control issues
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Has anyone else had a problem with E. Gerber mylites2 bags being produced too long?

Some packs will be fine. Some packs will be significantly shorter than a board. Some packs will be significantly longer than a board. Some packs have bags that vary wildly. The longer bags can't fold over to close properly so they're garbage. I've ended up throwing out half of a 2000 bag order.

E. Gerber support told me there is variance and I could return them for credit but the shipping cost nearly as much as the bags. If this is a widespread issue, I'd love to approach them with that information.

bagsizingissue.thumb.jpg.f17fa9f952ea1fef261f8690903df86e.jpg

I have noticed that as well.  I get the Standard size with Full-backs for all my books.  I wasn’t sure if it was the boards that were varying in length or the bags. Either way, I noticed what you are talking about. 

Edit: Mine have not been that short though.  I feel like they have ranged from slightly longer beyond the fold to being even with the fold.

Edited by DanJD

On Magazine size the .35's greatly reduce protection.  When I can, I use a .24 + a .35 combined on the same Mag. But if the Mag is too thick it wont work thus need a larger size Mag Mylite and boards.

Cole no longer has the old Time-X-Tenders. Their current Mylar/Plastic type cost whole lot more and not as simple or fast to use. You have to peel the coating off of both sides which takes more time when doing a bunch of books then you have to dispose of pile of coatings. Not to mention I found only way not to get my prints on the boards was to wear gloves (I use Venom) that limits dexterity which makes the process even slower. I gave up on the new X-Tenders after my first order.

Not easy to be an "old school collector" in the hobby anymore. By "old school collector" I mean one who just wants to go back to 2019 or very early 2020 :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/5/2024 at 6:27 PM, milk_man said:

Has anyone else had a problem with E. Gerber mylites2 bags being produced too long?

Some packs will be fine. Some packs will be significantly shorter than a board. Some packs will be significantly longer than a board. Some packs have bags that vary wildly. The longer bags can't fold over to close properly so they're garbage. I've ended up throwing out half of a 2000 bag order.

E. Gerber support told me there is variance and I could return them for credit but the shipping cost nearly as much as the bags. If this is a widespread issue, I'd love to approach them with that information.

bagsizingissue.thumb.jpg.f17fa9f952ea1fef261f8690903df86e.jpg

Not sure if this is a recent issue. I've had "too long" bags going back at least 10 years. I just fold them at the top of the main body of the bag (the red line in your pic) and live with the extra space. Haven't ever had bags that were too short.

On 8/6/2024 at 12:25 AM, buttock said:

Comicproline has improved their 2 mil mylars and I'm using them more than Gerbers.   

I had no idea these were a thing and they're very Canadian friendly. Thanks!

On 8/5/2024 at 9:56 PM, milk_man said:

I had no idea these were a thing and they're very Canadian friendly. Thanks!

They tend to split at the side seam, but that's much better than it used to be.  Maybe 1/50-1/100.  I use them with a Gerber half back and slide one of the comicproline 56 pt boards behind.  It's bulletproof. 

On 8/5/2024 at 6:48 PM, Domo Arigato said:

E. Gerber has gone in the toilet.

Their "Full Backs" were a 42 point thickness.  Now they're a 35 point thickness....which means they're not really Full Backs any more, and don't offer the same level of protection.

They further cheaped out by making only one side of them white......leaving the other side an unfinished brown, so now they look like any other cheap crapola on the market.

This all happened during the Covid supply chain problems.  As for the boards, they were out for a long time and when they finally got them back, they were the brown/white version.

I don't put everything in Mylar/Full Backs so thankfully the 3 1/2 packs left-over from before Covid will probably be enough for the rest of my collecting life.

On 8/6/2024 at 1:02 AM, buttock said:

They tend to split at the side seam, but that's much better than it used to be.  Maybe 1/50-1/100.  I use them with a Gerber half back and slide one of the comicproline 56 pt boards behind.  It's bulletproof. 

I gave up on comicproline after half the graded mylar comic bags I bought split down the side. Glad to hear they have improved their quality control but still iffy about giving them more of my money after being burned the first time. 

On 8/6/2024 at 10:59 AM, Stefan_W said:

I gave up on comicproline after half the graded mylar comic bags I bought split down the side. Glad to hear they have improved their quality control but still iffy about giving them more of my money after being burned the first time. 

I've never used their mylars for graded books, I don't like how it scuffs.  Their graded bags, which are OPP, are really nice. 

I was thinking about ordering 1000 Mylites2 here pretty soon from Egerber too, but now I might hold off. I haven't used Comics Pro bags but love the 56-point boards. They are nice IMO. I use those with Mylite2 bags from BCW currently. I ordered a pack of Egerber Mylite2 from ebay to see how I like them with the 56-point boards before I buy a bunch of Egerber Mylars. 

Has anyone used Comic Clear bags? I have used them for over a year now for my "Main" stock of comics instead of Poly bags. They are kind of a in between of Mylar 2 Mil and the basic Poly bags. They are a 2mil biaxially-oriented polypropylene (OPP). I ordered 800 of them and although I did get a few to split, it was a 1 or 2/100 rate. 

On 8/6/2024 at 11:59 AM, Stefan_W said:

This is basically why I haven't ordered them.  I've seen reddit posts from around 4 or 5 months ago say the same thing, so I don't know.  I have a lot of Mylites2's left over that I bought a couple of years ago for my raws, but need more for slabs.  Thought about going with the Comic Pro Lines to check them out, but I was reading about 40/100 or something being split which would be asinine.  I think out of all the Mylites2's I've used (probably around 2100 so far), I've had 2 split on me that I recall.  I was hoping to find some that fit slabs better than the E Gerber 914M's, but it's not a huge concern.

Anybody know if there is a US source for them that doesn't charge out the wazoo?  Or is shipping from Canada the only way?  Not even sure how much that would add to the cost or inconvenience, tbh.

Edited by Telegan

On 8/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Telegan said:

This is basically why I haven't ordered them.  I've seen reddit posts from around 4 or 5 months ago say the same thing, so I don't know.  I have a lot of Mylites2's left over that I bought a couple of years ago for my raws, but need more for slabs.  Thought about going with the Comic Pro Lines to check them out, but I was reading about 40/100 or something being split which would be asinine.  I think out of all the Mylites2's I've used (probably around 2100 so far), I've had 2 split on me that I recall.  I was hoping to find some that fit slabs better than the E Gerber 914M's, but it's not a huge concern.

Anybody know if there is a US source for them that doesn't charge out the wazoo?  Or is shipping from Canada the only way?  Not even sure how much that would add to the cost or inconvenience, tbh.

Free shipping with orders over $100 from Proline.

I like the Pro Line poly bags and 28 pt boards but the mylars were splitting the bottom seams.  I'm on my last pack of E Gerber bags and boards.  I'm check them out at the LCS to see if the owner has had any issues with the cut of the bags/boards.

On 8/5/2024 at 5:48 PM, Domo Arigato said:

E. Gerber has gone in the toilet.

Their "Full Backs" were a 42 point thickness.  Now they're a 35 point thickness....which means they're not really Full Backs any more, and don't offer the same level of protection.

They further cheaped out by making only one side of them white......leaving the other side an unfinished brown, so now they look like any other cheap crapola on the market.

Weren’t they originally measured in mils?

On 8/8/2024 at 8:03 PM, glockwookie said:

Weren’t they originally measured in mils?

Correct.  Pt and mils are interchangeable, but I'm not sure why they don't just stay consistent in which one they use. 

They list the mylars (bags) on their website by mil thickness.  The fullbacks on their website are currently listed as being a 35 pt thickness. 

Some of their old fullbacks I have lists them as 42 mil thick on the package.