• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic-Link Featured Auction 8/15-9/5
1 1

117 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2024 at 9:44 PM, MAY1979 said:

29K. I'm shocked! That's a 2014 price. I expected no less than 40K

I'm gobsmacked. I would have taken the over on all of the guesses that people were presenting here. :fear: 

Whoever won that Super Friends cover for $4808 got a steal. I was on a shoot or else I would have bid it up. Really nice cover.

I did try my best to get the Dazzler #4 half-splash, but had to tap out. $5100 is a strong price, but that's a really nice page from an early Dazz issue.

On 9/6/2024 at 1:13 PM, delekkerste said:

I'm gobsmacked. I would have taken the over on all of the guesses that people were presenting here. :fear: 

I think quite a few people wrote that one off as "Gonna go for $60-75k" and never looked back at it.
Had the regular suspects been paying attention and not assumed the ending you'd likely have seen $50k+ as a floor. 
I even mentioned it a couple hours before the end on a text with a few friends that this is just the kind of lot in just the kind of auction that could fall through the cracks. 
Then I went and watched the football game and didn't see where it ended and one of them texted me when they looked back and saw the number with almost exactly what you posted here. 

On 9/6/2024 at 1:47 PM, comix4fun said:

I think quite a few people wrote that one off as "Gonna go for $60-75k" and never looked back at it.
Had the regular suspects been paying attention and not assumed the ending you'd likely have seen $50k+ as a floor. 
I even mentioned it a couple hours before the end on a text with a few friends that this is just the kind of lot in just the kind of auction that could fall through the cracks. 
Then I went and watched the football game and didn't see where it ended and one of them texted me when they looked back and saw the number with almost exactly what you posted here. 

Yep. I got distracted and forgot to bid even though I was well aware of it. Hopefully it went to one of the other big IM fans.

On 9/6/2024 at 11:05 AM, Lucky Baru said:

Thanks for the detailed reply!

You are seeing more Lady Death art at action.  However, the Steven Hughes pieces still perform when I’ve seen them in auctions.  He defined the character.

i dug the Bloodstrike cover.  There were several people that wanted that, I guess.  hm  I hope that the result drives more of Karl’s Bloodstrike pieces to market.  I think he and Richard Horie are overlooked in the hobby.

I agree on Karl's and Richard's work - I had a Karl Bloodstrike interior page, and he really has great compositional skills for action. I've still got my Richard Horie Glory cover, his work is always very clean and reminds me a lot of Panosian's X-Men run around the same time. It's uniquely dynamic, but also a great representation of the style everyone wanted at the time.

Yeah, that Steven Hughes stuff is not nearly as common to show up, and when it does - it seems to do well. I think I'm priced out of a big Hughes piece, so I'll probably always admire those from afar.

On 9/7/2024 at 10:35 AM, Matches_Malone said:

The Simon Bisley painting going for $1600 was highway robbery.

That was a really atypical Bisley painting - with a neat classical Realism feel to it, but very different from his other work:

RADAA909202482_83746.jpg

On 9/7/2024 at 6:22 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Lol...do people want to consign with CLink after disastrous underwhelming results :frown:

This auction had a lot of 90's mid-level representation (nothing monumental, but plenty in quantity), whereas the typical auctions have loads of other eras and very little 90's - the standout 90's pieces did pretty well. I'm sure it looks underwhelming if you're not into that era, because it sounds like they didn't have a lot of big time art to really get people talking. I was hoping I'd do better since it didn't have that buzz other auctions have, but it was enough to blow my "previous sales" bids out of the water.

I was only interested in the Kaluta zombie cover, which went for $15K+.  A Kaluta House of Mystery cover went for 10K on Heritage in June, so this was a bit more ... although this was arguably a better cover.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:50 AM, Aahz said:

I was only interested in the Kaluta zombie cover, which went for $15K+.  A Kaluta House of Mystery cover went for 10K on Heritage in June, so this was a bit more ... although this was arguably a better cover.

The Kaluta cover that sold on clink is indeed quite a bit nicer, and 5 years older (78 vs 83) than the one that sold on HA.  It’s closer to Kaluta’s peak period, with better composition and subject matter

On 9/8/2024 at 5:13 PM, Matches_Malone said:

$1600 it's an amazing price. Congratulations to the buyer. 

Its a nice image, but what were people's expectations for it?    I could see 3k, I have trouble seeing much more.   

unpublished and you have no clue its a bisley unless you're told.   

As an aside and FWIW, I think the lower 1/3 of the painting is better painted than the top 2/3.

On 9/12/2024 at 7:18 AM, Bronty said:

Its a nice image, but what were people's expectations for it?    I could see 3k, I have trouble seeing much more.   

unpublished and you have no clue its a bisley unless you're told.   

As an aside and FWIW, I think the lower 1/3 of the painting is better painted than the top 2/3.

It reminds me of that Brom Lord of the Rings commission HA sold earlier in the year. Not clearly Brom and not the best composition, that did 15-16k though. 

I got my CL catalog yesterday, BTW.