• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic-Link Featured Auction 8/15-9/5
1 1

117 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2024 at 4:17 PM, Bronty said:

well, the Iron Man image is spot on.   Exactly the sort of thing you want on a cover from exactly the vintage you want.

The rest of it could be a B'wana Beast cover.

It doesn't matter.    Someone will be proud to own it and rightly so.

The central image is very good. Nice critique.

On 8/19/2024 at 8:04 PM, Matches_Malone said:

These? I don't know this market.  How much were you expecting?

image.thumb.png.5ff5c12e136814e0f293c776df8a12b2.png

The market for these has never been that high. So far, this early, they seem okay. Last time I looked a few grand could get you a nice piece.

On 8/20/2024 at 4:59 PM, Xatari said:

Still such an archaic system to have to place a big in order to track.  (:

And here's another thing: maybe a year ago or so the janky site deleted ALL my history of bids, so every one of those f**king tracking bids (a couple of which I'd sweated over) was lost in the ether!

On 8/21/2024 at 7:59 AM, Xatari said:

Still such an archaic system to have to place a big in order to track.  (:

Even though Heritage has a tracking option, I still put tracking bids on every item I'm interested in.  I personally find it much easier to track everything on just one screen rather than two different screens.

On 8/20/2024 at 12:55 PM, Rick2you2 said:

The market for these has never been that high. So far, this early, they seem okay. Last time I looked a few grand could get you a nice piece.

This early? The auction's over. Those prices are atrocious. 

On 8/23/2024 at 8:02 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:
On 8/21/2024 at 12:55 AM, Rick2you2 said:

This early? The auction's over. Those prices are atrocious. 

The winner should be able to flip those pages on Heritage and make an easy profit.

On 8/23/2024 at 10:41 AM, tth2 said:

The winner should be able to flip those pages on Heritage and make an easy profit.

The one that sold for $334 would easily go for double to 2.5x that on Heritage. 

On 8/23/2024 at 11:14 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:
On 8/23/2024 at 10:41 PM, tth2 said:

The one that sold for $334 would easily go for double to 2.5x that on Heritage. 

I really need to start following Comiclink's Focused Auctions.  There be bargains!

Edited by tth2

A quick question, what is the responsibility of the auction house in regards making sure the description is accurate?

Hypothetically, if you won a piece that you later found out it wasn’t as described in the listing, what would the auction house responsibility be to the buyer? 

I have always wondered how this is addressed. This is not in regards to a specific lot, just a general question.

Does this vary from auction house to auction house? 

On 8/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, gumbydarnit said:

A quick question, what is the responsibility of the auction house in regards making sure the description is accurate?

Hypothetically, if you won a piece that you later found out it wasn’t as described in the listing, what would the auction house responsibility be to the buyer? 

I have always wondered how this is addressed. This is not in regards to a specific lot, just a general question.

I think there is a certain expectation that the seller reviews the listings and verifies accuracy. Inaccurate listings tend to get lower sales numbers.
There have been a few auctions with incorrect descriptions and (especially) titles which have worked out well in my favor as a bidder.
Even one where the picture was wrong…!

Edited by -m

On 8/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, gumbydarnit said:

I think like many things, the answer is it depends (what aspect was inaccurate, what auction house, etc.)

I can cite one example though. Years ago I won an Alan Davis cover at an auction house. Right after I won, I realized that the artist posted that the art was a recreation. The details are fuzzy to me, so I think the original used for publication was lost and the artist re-drew it (and I can't remember if the re-drawn version was somehow published). In my situation, the auction house let me back out of purchasing it.

Malvin

On 8/24/2024 at 11:13 AM, gumbydarnit said:

This is all addressed in the Terms and Conditions of every sale.

If it's not, it should be (where are their attorneys, taking a nap?)

That's the legalese, you can always press actual company people for a more lenient resolution, which you may or may not get.

It only helps, the likelihood of extra-contractual leniency, if you been doing a lot of business with them for a long time.

That would be me, and on the few occasions there's been a problem, I've always prevailed.