• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic pressing worth it
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I have a comic that was graded by CGC about 10 years ago that was unpressed.  I recently sent it into CGC to it get pressed since there was only slight staining on the back cover and small spine creases.  The comic still has the same stain and small creases.  

Edited by matt83ho

Pressing will not help stains or color-breaking creases. CCC probably was tougher on the stains this go around hence the lower grade. 2c

Remember too that grading is subjective and one grader may be harsher on particular flaws than another.  There's always a risk of a lower grade when resubmitting a previously graded book.  

If you feel like it, post pix in the "Please Grade My" section and get some honest opinions from your peers. Based on what you described I tend to agree with the previous posts. Things have changed in 10 years and grading has always had the subjective element to it. I am sorry to hear about the grade drop.

1. You talked yourself into believing that pressing will always raise the grade of an "unpressed" book

2. You used CGC's high temp assembly line quick press to press the book (instead of a trusted third party)

3. You didn't do your research (see #1) and are now looking for answers because of the difference

This is a tough lesson to learn the hard way but it is very valuable and something you can build on in the future.

On 8/16/2024 at 10:16 AM, matt83ho said:

I have a comic that was graded by CGC about 10 years ago that was unpressed.  I recently sent it into CGC to it get pressed since there was only slight staining on the back cover and small spine creases.  The comic still has the same stain and small creases.  

Why did you edit your post? IIRC, you initially said the book went from an 8.5 to an 8.0 and that you spent $300.

All the advice so far has been spot-on. CGC has always hammered stains, and pressing and dry cleaning will not remove them or color breaking creases. Dropping to an 8.0 from an 8.5 is not huge a disparity, although it could feel that way if it's a big-ticket book. Pictures would be helpful too, everybody is working in the dark. There's no way to tell if CGC was super strict, on the money or too generous with a grade without seeing what you're talking about. If you're not well-versed in CPR, you might want to post potential resubs here https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ to see if you're on the right track before sending any more books off.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

On 8/17/2024 at 8:27 AM, dick pontoon said:
On 8/16/2024 at 10:16 AM, matt83ho said:

Why did you edit your post? IIRC, you initially said the book went from an 8.5 to an 8.0 and that you spent $300.

I was wondering the same thing.