• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best symbolism in a WWII cover
3 3

112 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2024 at 6:09 PM, Robot Man said:

I thought about posting my copies of this as well as Exciting 49 (poison candy). But, I felt they were actually more “horrific” than symbolic…

I agree.  I vacillated over including Cap 46, but it is just so powerful an image that I couldn't resist.

I also considered Thrilling #41, but while that's a humorous cover, I don't consider it iconic.

On 8/20/2024 at 6:13 PM, kent allard said:

I agree.  I vacillated over including Cap 46, but it is just so powerful an image that I couldn't resist.

I also considered Thrilling #41, but while that's a humorous cover, I don't consider it iconic.

Are we talking “iconic” or ”symbolic”? Iconic opens up a whole new can of worms…

I see this cover as symbolic. It shows a puppet Anerican soldier battling a puppet Japanese soldier along with other puppet characters from the stories.

It shows that soldiers are regular people who are essentially powerless—manipulated by governments and other forces beyond their control.

The way the puppetmasters are grinning shows that the trials and tribulations of these regular people are of no import compared to the capricious whims of the powers that be.

The African-American boy is positioned down in the corner, motionless, to show that African Americans and other minorities are forgotten by society and forced to live in the shadows.

The ghost on the cover is part of the story involving the old man—the Ghost Doctor—yet the ghost is watching the soldiers in order to remind us that one of them will die. We don't know which one, but the ghost, who represents death, doesn't care. Death will be satisfied either way.

The nurse's horrified reaction symbolizes the horrors people close to the war are forced to confront—horrors that most people are content to put out of their minds.

1109211748001.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/20/2024 at 6:15 PM, Robot Man said:

Are we talking “iconic” or ”symbolic”? Iconic opens up a whole new can of worms…

Up to you guys (and gals, if there are any out there :shiftyeyes:)

I'm thinking primarily symbolic, that have become iconic.  There is lots of symbolism in covers, and there are lots of iconic covers.  We could get swamped unless we tighten the criteria.  I admit, Cap #46 doesn't belong in the group.  I recant :wavingwhiteflag:

On 8/20/2024 at 6:16 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I see this cover as symbolic. It shows a puppet Anerican soldier battling a puppet Japanese soldier along with other puppet characters from the stories.

It shows that soldiers are regular people who are essentially powerless—manipulated by governments and other forces beyond their control.

The way the puppetmasters are grinning shows that the trials and tribulations of these regular people are of no import compared to the capricious whims of the powers that be.

1109211748001.jpg

It's a neat cover, and I like your interpretation, but I can't see it as iconic.  You need to think too deeply :).  A 13 year old should be able to 'get it' immediately for it to be iconic.

On 8/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, kent allard said:

I'm just the guy that started the topic, I don't own it.

Great point @sfcityduck.  There is a difference between a patriotic cover, and a iconic cover that symbolizes something.

I don't own this thread, I just started it, but I feel that including patriotic covers like these broaden the scope too much.  My idea was more along the lines of abstract conceptual covers that are more fantastic, then prosaic patriotic ones.

As a fine art guy, I view symbolism and abstraction as two different things. A "prosaic" image can be very symbolic. An abstract image is something different. I also collect, in small doses, WWII propaganda posters, and there are a lot of very cool battle type scenes that are symbolic of international unity. They would, I think, fall into your definition of prosaic as they definitely are not trippy or surreal. Some folks can't quite grasp the history they represent given present day politics, but they are really cool pieces of art which present the actual history of the day (not my images but I own them all):

Primary view of object titled 'United we are strong : united we will win.'.

United - The United Nations Fight For Freedom - Vintage WWII Reprint Poster

Original WWII poster - THE UNITED NATIONS FIGHT FOR FREEDOM by Broder

The concept of "United We Win" was probably the single biggest theme of WWII propaganda, but with eyes abroad and at home:

United we win. War Manpower Commission, Washington, D.C. / O.W.I. photo by  Liberman. | Library of Congress

Here's the only WWII propaganda poster I know of by a Timely artist. Others company's artists did some fantastic WWII work, but Paul G. stands alone for Timely, doing the very prevalent arm in arm unity symbolism (not mine yet):

Moviegoers! Join the Fighting Fifth, Fight by his side! - Gustavson, 1944.  27.5'' x 41'' / 70 x 104 cm. Lithograph and Offset | Backed on Linen. ID#  ...

On 8/20/2024 at 4:54 PM, IngelsFan said:

Best WW2 Timely, and my personal favorite WW2 overall:

image.jpeg

This one is really hard to beat. I do not buy restored, usually, but for this book I would sure consider it! Fantastic copy!

On 8/20/2024 at 6:51 PM, sfcityduck said:

But, if you want trippy (definitely not mine), the anti-Hitler covers may work for you:

great_comics_3.jpeg

super_duck1.jpg

power_comics_2.jpeg

real_life_comics_3.jpg

bomber_comics_4.jpg

These go on and on. Something that's not a comic but fits the genre and the characters (I sold this one and have a much better looking copy):

IMG_1701.jpg.2400ed6122c085587a287722bf762256.jpg

Wow!  All strong candidates.  I'd forgotten about the Real Life.#3.  I personally think it trumps the All Winners #8.

On 8/21/2024 at 6:01 AM, Joseph Ragno said:

Use of a symbol of the Revolutionary War to lead both superheroes and servicemen to a new "revolution"

tec78.webp

That's got to be very hard to find in high grade!  

Edited to ad: Very impressive only your 9.4 and one 9.2 above 8.5! 

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/21/2024 at 8:40 AM, Limited66 said:

This my favorite Supes of the period and the lightly outlined tanks and artillery in the background seem symbolic to me of American mobilization after Pearl Harbor the month before 

Now I'm embarassed. I never noticed that detail. Thanks for pointing it out.

On 8/21/2024 at 12:11 PM, sfcityduck said:

Now I'm embarassed. I never noticed that detail. Thanks for pointing it out.

I love this book and cover. One of my grails, so I’ve studied it in a little more detail than necessary.