• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Comic Disney Variants
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I thought about starting this thread in moderns but they have been paying homage to covers across all eras.

Has anyone been collecting or even seen some of the Disney variants ?

Yes, I know they are a cash grab.  However, I have picked up a few of them published under the ASM title as some of them have been quite entertaining. 

amazingspiderman_17_disney100_cover.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

I have a few I got free from MCS at one stage. I love Disney comics and like ASM etc,  but the complete disconnect between the cover and contents leaves me cold. Maybe I just don't get variants?

On 8/26/2024 at 1:13 AM, Buzzetta said:

I thought about starting this thread in moderns but they have been paying homage to covers across all eras.

Yes, I know they are a cash grab.  However, I have picked up a few of them published under the ASM title as some of them have been quite entertaining. 

Don Rosa has been selling recreation covers with "duck" characters like this for years. I picked up an Avengers #4, Thor #112, and ASM #14 many years ago at a con in AZ.

On 8/26/2024 at 10:35 AM, AlterEgo2024 said:

Don Rosa has been selling recreation covers with "duck" characters like this for years. I picked up an Avengers #4, Thor #112, and ASM #14 many years ago at a con in AZ.

I am looking at some of them now.  Thank you. 

On 8/26/2024 at 1:13 AM, Buzzetta said:

Love this combo of characters (a new 'Amalgam' of sorts lol). The only thing that would drive me insane about this cover is Mickey's ears not matching up with Cap's wings on his mask...I mean there's gotta be symmetry (and I hate that when Mickey turns his head they make his ears follow in a non-sensical manner...but that's a disney thing and doesn't work for this art, IMO). Still love it in general, though!!!

On 8/26/2024 at 11:22 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

Love this combo of characters (a new 'Amalgam' of sorts lol). The only thing that would drive me insane about this cover is Mickey's ears not matching up with Cap's wings on his mask...I mean there's gotta be symmetry (and I hate that when Mickey turns his head they make his ears follow in a non-sensical manner...but that's a disney thing and doesn't work for this art, IMO). Still love it in general, though!!!

Yeah that was odd.  It seems 'off' because of it.  Like I said I have not been picking all of them up but just some of the ASM's here and there. 

On 8/26/2024 at 10:41 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

As someone with OCD, this cover bothers me. If Mickey is Ant-Man then Minnie should be Wasp, not Daisy.

There were some dumb clickbait articles at the time this cover was revealed that said something like "Mickey ditches Minnie.  Dating Daisy!"  Zero context until you clicked into the article to see what they were on about and turns out they were claiming that in some alternate storyline, Mickey was dating Daisy.  Completely brain dead take from Disney bloggers or some such.

I was a Disney fan long before I was comic collector (which is saying a lot since I started collecting when I was about 8 years old).  So collecting these was a no brainer.  It's a shame the ASM run has been so bad.  In fact, I actually stopped collecting ASM before these covers were announced so I was slightly peeved when they were exclusive to the title.  I still wish they had somehow made these variant covers for the actual book titled (ie the Fantastic Four What If cover as a variant on the main Fantastic Four title).  Whatever the case, I have each of the main covers (none of the black and white incentive variants).  I also included the new "What If Donald Duck..." issue as well as Uncle $crooge and the Infinity Dime.

Plus, special bonus, at the bottom are the D23 Fan Expo exclusive books that have been handed out at the Marvel Comics panel each of the last 3 Expos.  In order they were Marvel Comics 1000 (2019 D23 Expo), Amazing Fantasy 1000 (2022 D23 Expo covers A & B), What If Donald Duck Became Wolverine (2024 D23 Ultimate Fan Event covers A & B).  The very last book was handed out at this years Expo at the talent signing table and is signed by CB Cebulski, Jason Aaron, and Humberto Ramos; Uncle $crooge and the Infinity Dime (2024 D23 Ultimate Fan Event).  There are also black and white variants of the Marvel Comics panel books.  These are ULTRA rare and are personally handed out by CB Cebulski to fans either during the weekend with a COA included and the print number.  I believe the 2019 book only had 25 black and white copies, while the 2022 and 2024 books have 35.

Fun fact, Humberto Ramos was at a local convention the following week where I learned that as far as the D23 Expo exclusive books, Humberto Ramos apparently has a clause in his contract where he is the only artist that can draw covers with Disney characters interacting with Marvel characters.  Hence the reason why he's drawn all the D23 (Marvel Comics panel books) so far.  (It should be mentioned, Esad Ribic did the cover for the talent signing exclusive book.)  The original art for the 2024 covers were available for sale as a pair only and the price made a weeklong cross country trip to Walt Disney World for a family of four seem cheap by comparison.  On top of that, some dedicated fan with DEEP pockets offered Humberto a generous amount for the 2019 original art, but Humberto is keeping that in his personal collection.

Amazing Spider-Man variant covers

IMG_5979.thumb.jpg.3e9572cd1e52864e5f6e845d75d6a413.jpgIMG_5980.thumb.jpg.3e14b7527f5663da02f45bdf35799595.jpgIMG_5981.thumb.jpg.931392af23adaea69b5cc263a5d47136.jpgIMG_5983.thumb.jpg.1547678c374f0a18933cc1b467482662.jpgIMG_5984.thumb.jpg.8e48063abb64d65946d6dcc41912fba6.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man variant cover, What If Donald Duck..., and Uncle $crooge and the Infinity Dime

IMG_6483.thumb.jpg.e79a957eccb69cbf44a2c708acc51d00.jpg

2019 D23 Fan Expo Exclusive (Marvel Comics 1000)

IMG_6485.thumb.jpg.36a1444361a608296aa48fc0dee8c894.jpg

2022 D23 Fan Expo Exclusive (Amazing Fantasy 1000)

IMG_6486.thumb.jpg.116a53646fa4450237a39d0d9c3b20cf.jpg

2024 D23 Ultimate Fan Event Exclusives (What If Donald Duck...)

IMG_6417.thumb.jpg.d25b7f1db71f6358dc6637c4eed2c6ee.jpgIMG_6406.thumb.jpg.a341e4a299bd1806a0cf38c4e52e9bbb.jpg

2024 D23 Ultimate Fan Event Talen Signing Exclusive (Uncle $crooge)

image.thumb.jpeg.b0db128ab6c6efead6ae90a4eea0bdc9.jpeg

Original Art by Humberto Ramos for 2024 Covers

image.thumb.jpeg.98b8c3f5ca8277c311468e2c0e418b61.jpeg

Posted (edited)
On 8/27/2024 at 10:06 AM, iggykoopa said:

I have about 5 of these variants and will pick them up when I come across them. They're cool looking to me. I have been on the lookout for the FF #1 homage cover but no luck in my recent searches. 

Next time you put in an order with MyComicShop add ASM 19F to the list.  They are asking $4 for it.

Here is a link to all ASM 19's and it is more than halfway down the page. 

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?q=amazing+spider-man+19&pubid=&PubRng=

Edited by Buzzetta

I think they're kind of cute, but I think it's completely stupid to put them only on current ASM issues.  You get a cute Disney Avengers cover, then open up the book, and it's current ASM.  You get a cute Disney X-Men cover, then open it up and it's current ASM.

Why not just make them reprints of the comics they're copying?  Almost all of those comics have been released as True Believers or facsimile editions already.

Anything to pump up those ASM numbers and make people think you're still a viable company, I guess.