• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Real or Fake
2 2

36 posts in this topic

And while we're on the subject of potential trickery, don't forget the empty box scam.  Has been chronicled several times here on the boards to the tune of 4 and 5-figure cost books.  Where the seller sends an empty box (or at least something other than the purchased comic book) and gets a received acknowledged/recorded and Ebay or whoever can't or won't do anything.  Others have recommended for such a scenario of opening it at the post office in front of the postmaster general to assure receipt of an expensive book/item. 2c  Good luck.

On 9/1/2024 at 6:16 AM, trmoore54 said:

And while we're on the subject of potential trickery, don't forget the empty box scam.  Has been chronicled several times here on the boards to the tune of 4 and 5-figure cost books.  Where the seller sends an empty box (or at least something other than the purchased comic book) and gets a received acknowledged/recorded and Ebay or whoever can't or won't do anything.  Others have recommended for such a scenario of opening it at the post office in front of the postmaster general to assure receipt of an expensive book/item. 2c  Good luck.

About 14 years ago, that happened to me.  I bought a low grade AF15 on ebay, back when they were still going for less than $5k.  I had a PO address so the sender sent it to my PO box.  The post office worker had to get it from the back.  Once i received the package i knew something was off since it was so light.  I told the post officer that i would open the package in front of him.   I opened it and and it had newspaper in there.  Filed a claim with the post office worker as my witness.  Got my money back.  It would have been much harder if the post office was not a witness  

Edited by Spiderturtle

On 8/30/2024 at 8:21 AM, SDCOOKIE said:

There are so many fakes out there I just wanted a second opinion.

1. What are you basing this assertion on? How many times have you or your real life friends accidentally bought a fake book? I've been collecting for 25 years and have never seen a counterfeit book in real life.

2. You're talking about an internet sale where you're going to send someone (that you don't know and have never met) a bunch of money and wait for them to send the book. The risk here isn't that it's a fake, it's that you just won't be getting it.

3. You didn't provide nearly enough details for any of us to give you a meaningful opinion. Where did you find this guy? What price is he offering it for? How long has this guy been selling and what other books does he have for sale? All of these details are important when trying to predict whether or not the sale is going to be legit.

You're fixated on whether the book is fake but you should be more concerned with the transaction being fake.

Good luck out there!

On 8/30/2024 at 8:21 AM, SDCOOKIE said:

Thank you for the welcome. 

There are so many fakes out there I just wanted a second opinion. This is an Internet sale so wanted to be a 100% sure before I dropped a good chunk of change. 

Thanks, Steve

there are a lot of fake Af15's out there ? I'm not aware of this ......... any else can chime in ?

On 9/3/2024 at 12:44 AM, Mickey7 said:

Not sure what is going on, but the cover photo with the current date showing has the full building showing under Spider-mans right foot.  The 2nd cover photo without the date shows a chunk missing from the building.

So is the real question, "Am I going to get ripped off in this transaction" or " is this a fake comic book because I've heard there are so many fakes out there" ??

there's a few of these types of thread started by new users that eventually just disappear shortly afterwards.  asking us nerd experts for our "Expert" advice.  My conclusion: send it to CGC and all your worries will disappear 

On 8/30/2024 at 6:44 PM, SDCOOKIE said:

Thanks you for the great advice. I know the photos are legit as they were sent to me with a current date.

I believed it is legit, I just wanted to get a second opinion. 

As far as payment I always pay with a credit card through PayPal give me the option to reverse charges at 180 days. 

In that case, buy it.  Slab it at cgc and then you will know if it's real.  

On 9/11/2024 at 1:28 PM, fishbone said:

there are a lot of fake Af15's out there ? I'm not aware of this ......... any else can chime in ?

Personally, I haven't seen a counterfeit copy of this book (I'm not saying there aren't any floating around---it's always possible). But I have seen heavily and horribly restored copies, copies with missing pages, copies with the wrong back cover and other assorted gems. If I were in the market for one (I'm not) I'd at least do some serious comparison shopping of the certified copies available before jumping on a deal that looks suspicious right from the start... 

On 9/12/2024 at 5:14 PM, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I haven't seen a counterfeit copy of this book (I'm not saying there aren't any floating around---it's always possible). But I have seen heavily and horribly restored copies, copies with missing pages, copies with the wrong back cover and other assorted gems. If I were in the market for one (I'm not) I'd at least do some serious comparison shopping of the certified copies available before jumping on a deal that looks suspicious right from the start... 

Agreed.  Sure I can see a someone creating a counterfeit copy because if they can pass it the reward is significant but the odds of buying a copy with undisclosed problems is much more likely.  It's kinda like a house, tough to fake but easy to hide defects and problems.  That's why it's a good idea hiring a home inspector before closing on a house.  And that's a good way to look at buying a graded book of this magnitude that's been inspected by CGC.  

Screenshot_20240916-151030.thumb.png.d21408fef0be51c3b37bec82ad0dc9f4.png

Darker purple under the 12c

I'd want a pic of the interior front cover.

To see any cover bleed from color touch and the structural integrity of the front cover to the book.

If it's costing you ten thousand or more I'd want to buy a copy already slabbed.

And more so from a reputable dealer.

If I was selling this book I would not be selling it raw thru social media.

I'd be having it slabbed then flip it on a big auction house.