• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

257 posts in this topic

What a divergence between people on this era of comics history... Do you personally consider this age or is there gold, then silver and nothing else in between?

I just bought 8 new books to add to my collection this morning, all from this era and I'm really impatient to getting them!   these are my first books in this year range, I see them differently, it seems to be a different style, maybe more conventional and strict, less rude than GA and less crazy than SA, but I could be totally wrong, I don't know...

What do you think?

On 8/31/2024 at 3:33 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Dell didn't participate in the code; D.C. did, but D.C. books were fairly sanitary to begin with, so I doubt the code made much of an impact on D.C. Archie Comics was a cheerleader for the CCA, but it doesn't seem like the code really affected the innuendo that pervades the Archie titles. Horror, romance, war, and crime were defanged by the code, and those were important Atom-Age genres, so it makes some sense to call the end of the pre-code era the end of the Atom Age, but it's hard to say that the Silver Age started with the code because the Silver Age was all about the next generation of superheroes. Some people have argued that the Silver Age is really the Marvel Age and should start with Fantastic Four #1, which has a cover date of November 1961.

I generally see transitions on a spectrum or, as a phase in-out period, so while the "Golden Age of superheroes" started with Action #1 (1938), and books like Detective #27, Whiz #1 and Marvel #1 cemented the era, any comics pre Action #1 are still considered "Golden Age" books. it took the GA about 4-5 years to 'find itself' or figure out it's identity. 

In much the same way, the Comics Code came in 1954, and Fantastic Four #1 (1961) cemented the SA trend, but am I missing something? Isn't Showcase #4 (1956) historically considered the beginning of the Silver Age, or the seismic shift? It again took a few years for comics to sort out what they were going to be moving forward. 

On 8/31/2024 at 3:48 PM, adamstrange said:

I personally think the Atomic Age is best described as starting with the dropping of the Atomic Bomb and ending with the advent of the Code. These end points are not only historically significant and easy to remember but also happen to correspond with very dramatic publishing shifts.

The real significance is not how it looked to us historically, looking back but how it looked at the time, moving forward and the two are slightly different. Seeing things in hindsight doesn't look exactly the same way as they do when moving forward through it. 

We know what the transition looked like for Marvel SA. All the horror and fantasy titles became hero titles almost overnight, but before 1961, which titles changed significantly from the introduction of the code in 1954 to say when Showcase #4 came out in 1956?

What would that transition have looked like on the newsstand between those years?

Or between, say 1944 to about 1947?

The devil is in those details. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 8/31/2024 at 4:29 PM, VintageComics said:

[A]m I missing something? Isn't Showcase #4 (1956) historically considered the beginning of the Silver Age, or the seismic shift?

(shrug) Showcase #4 was the first specific book that I mentioned with respect to the transition from the Atom Age to the Silver Age.

Some people question the importance of Showcase #4, however. D.C.'s "big 3"—Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman—carried on business as usual throughout the 50s.

To those people, the spin that Marvel put on superheroes in the early 60s (the cheeky humor, the teen angst of Peter Parker, etc.) was what moved the needle.

On 8/31/2024 at 4:56 PM, jimbo_7071 said:
On 8/31/2024 at 4:29 PM, VintageComics said:

[A]m I missing something? Isn't Showcase #4 (1956) historically considered the beginning of the Silver Age, or the seismic shift?

(shrug) Showcase #4 was the first specific book that I mentioned with respect to the transition from the Atom Age to the Silver Age.

Apologies. I misunderstood the gist of your post. :foryou:

Some people question the importance of Showcase #4, however. D.C.'s "big 3"—Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman—carried on business as usual throughout the 50s.

To those people, the spin that Marvel put on superheroes in the early 60s (the cheeky humor, the teen angst of Peter Parker, etc.) was what moved the needle.

Gotcha. 

Because I'm not as familiar with the Atom Age as many here may be, it would be great to see what comics were actually doing 1944-47 and 1954-56, which provides a great opportunity for people to post their Atom covers so that you can actually see and discuss them chronologically. 

As if everyone needed a real reason to post comic covers. :blush:

On 8/31/2024 at 5:26 PM, adamstrange said:

This is one reason why I think that the dawn of the Comics Code is a clean break for the end of Atomic Age and start of Silver Age.  Virtually, overnight, horror, GGA, extreme violence vanished from the comic rack, as did many companies.  The struggle was to survive long enough to transition to an alternative creative vision that would be commercially successful.

That makes perfect sense.

So the evolution of the Golden Age percolated for a while, figuring itself out before starting with a bang with Action #1. Then, there was a distinct cultural shift from Golden Age to Atom Age around 1945, and then the Atom age ended abruptly with a seismic event, and the Silver Age took time to evolve out of those ashes. 

The most interesting thing to me is not what started each era, but rather the propellants at the start of each era that helped the big bang along as each ear got going. 

For example, you wouldn't have had a GA if you didn't have a Whiz #1, Tec #27 and Marvel #1 to challenge Superman and propel the story telling genre into a new arena. 

In much the same way, you wouldn't have a Marvel Silver Age in 1961 if DC didn't already start the shift in 1956-1960 because it's clear that Marvel was using DC's ideas (for example, the FF were a Kirby reimagining of the Challengers)

So what were the propellants in 1945?

It's those transitions that I'm most curious about. 

Edited by VintageComics

An interesting question is "why did it take so long for superheros to catch on in the Silver Age".  Industry adoption of the latest trend had been much, much faster in the 40s and early 50s.

Some thoughts:

• DC's "Big 3" were continuously published throughout the 50s so the addition of a few more wasn't as obvious an indication of success.
  • DC was so cautious that they waited for newsstand sales figures to arrive before putting out Flash "2" in Showcase 8 and waited again before Flash "3" in Showcase 13.
  • Other companies had published post-Code supes that failed (e.g. Atlas, ME, Prize), so enough time had to pass for them to be confident to try again.

Adamstrange's cutoffs are pretty on the money by me.  Like Bob, my main interests are in the atomic age. 

My fave genres all came into existence here.  Crime, romance, horror - the good stuff.  I think there's more sophistication in the art in this era, too, but no doubt opinions vary :yeehaw:

For simplicity, I don't mind everything getting lumped together as "golden age."  I get enough dumb looks when I use that phrase in mixed company, I often just refer to "ten-centers."

On 8/31/2024 at 5:47 PM, Darwination said:

For simplicity, I don't mind everything getting lumped together as "golden age."  I get enough dumb looks when I use that phrase in mixed company, I often just refer to "ten-centers."

The purpose of defining "Ages" is to simplify communications between fellow hobbyists. 

When talking with someone outside the hobby, I'm probably not mentioning Atomic Age unless the conversation goes longer than 30 minutes.

On 8/31/2024 at 5:37 PM, VintageComics said:

So what were the propellants in 1945?

It's those transitions that I'm most curious about. 

During the war, two additional genres sprang up alongside the Supers:  funny animal and violent "true" crime.  The funny animal phenomenon resulted in a significant quantity of titles proving that non-super hero titles were viable.  True crime, on the other hand, set a precedent for expanding the kind of topics and depictions that could appear in comics.  If someone were to say that these were "proto-Atomic Age", I don't think they are far from the truth.

The post-WWII collapse of war-happy superhero title sales freed up printing and artistic capacity which needed a new creative impulse to ensure commercial success.  The Atomic Age was basically the introduction to comics of additional genres (e.g. romance, horror, teen, etc.) that were already prevalent in other media, combined with a substantially increased freedom of expression, especially with respect to gruesome and s*xy imagery.

Note:  All of my comments ignore newspaper strip reprint comic books as there was nothing particularly original or creative about reprinting them in comics.

ComicGenreTimeline.jpg.b0cd323e60adcabe6

The ages of the modern American newsstand comic:

• Reprint Age of Syndicated Strips
  • Golden Age of Superheroes
  • Atomic Age of Awesome Everything for Everyone
  • Silver Age of Superheroes

If this is so, then the Silver Age should be renamed Space Age and the current age should be renamed the Information/Digital Age.

You don't name a comic book age after the broader world age.

Furthermore, the Atomic Age started in 1942 when Fermi almost nuked Chicago.