• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

257 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2024 at 2:32 AM, Krydel4 said:

Since AC1 is considered the start of the GA, How about AC101 as the start of the Atomic Age... for synergy purposes...

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjE4NTgxYTEzLWVmNjctNGIwNC05YTA0LTRkY2E1YmEyMGJlNi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6W119.webp

Just to get back on track here, this is a TERRIFIC example of a transitional cover for the start of the Atomic Age, and it would be great to see stories / covers before and after this one to provide a visual reference for how that transition looked.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:05 PM, CGC Mike said:

I made a few corrections.  As far as a poll regarding the title change, anyone can start one.  Or ask @Domo Arigato

Mike is correct. Anyone can start a poll.

Unfortunately, my Tourette syndrome flare ups prevent me from making them anymore.

MONKEY PECKERS ! ! !

On 9/5/2024 at 2:17 PM, Professor K said:

To me I suppose the Atomic Age is basically the 2nd half of the Golden Age. A sub category.  Starting after the war was over or definitely by January 1946. When Cap, Sup, and all the others had stopped fighting Japanazis, Archie had completely taken over Pep Comics putting the Shield and Hangman out to pasture,  and books like this came out at the end of 45/beginning of 46 when clearly the times had changed in the world and in comics. 

Atomic Comics, January 1946. Seems like they literally spelled it out for us. 

atomic1.jpg

The term of "sub category" is the most significant for me.

The line is blurry, as it is on many ages. A lot of personal preference is at play. For me, and your mileage may vary, the Atomic Age begins, relatively, with EC and the end of the GA fatties in the early 50's. SA begins with SHOWCASE and ends with SS 18. BA begins with Conan, Fourth World, and GA/GL 76. CA begins with New Teen Titans 1 and Byrne's FF, a whole lot of rebooting going on with top gun artists ruling the roost. MA begins with the McSpidey 1 polybag and 10 billion XMEN 1's and then IMAGE. That's me and is based, with the exception of GA, on my impressions and experiences as the events were actually unfolding. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 9/5/2024 at 8:17 AM, Professor K said:

To me I suppose the Atomic Age is basically the 2nd half of the Golden Age. A sub category.  Starting after the war was over or definitely by January 1946. When Cap, Sup, and all the others had stopped fighting Japanazis, Archie had completely taken over Pep Comics putting the Shield and Hangman out to pasture,  and books like this came out at the end of 45/beginning of 46 when clearly the times had changed in the world and in comics. 

Atomic Comics, January 1946. Seems like they literally spelled it out for us. 

atomic1.jpg

I like the sub-category idea... they're all Golden Age to me.  Though if we do want to separately categorize the post-war period, I think "Gothic Age" or "Pre-Code Age" or perhaps even "Post-War Age" is more fitting than "Atom Age".  The sci-fi books were certainly "a thing" of the period, but dwarfed by horror, crime and teen humor genres.   

When I was a kid and found comics from the 1950s or before they were “10 centers” and a spectacular find no matter what they were.

My first exposure to actual GA was when a friend of my dad’s brought me and my brother a box full of war time comics. They were very special and we were the hit of the neighborhood. Started me on a lifetime search for more. 

I think if we're going to be purely tied to the rise and fall of superheroes as defining "ages" then Detective Comics #1, and every other pre-Action #1 comic wouldn't be golden age.  For me, the whole period through 1955 is golden age... with the post-1945 comics simply being "post-war golden age". 

On 9/5/2024 at 11:02 AM, EastEnd1 said:

I think if we're going to be purely tied to the rise and fall of superheroes as defining "ages" then Detective Comics #1, and every other pre-Action #1 comic wouldn't be golden age.  For me, the whole period through 1955 is golden age... with the post-1945 comics simply being "post-war golden age". 

Agree with all of this.

I don't understand why the forum title was changed when most people seem to NOT want the title changed. 

A sub-category is more appropriate than a title change, but frankly I don't think it's necessary either. It's not like this is Comics General and the real estate on the 1st page is so crowded that threads are disappearing daily off the page. 

Heck, even Comics General isn't that busy anymore, although it used to be. 

On 9/5/2024 at 11:35 AM, shadroch said:

Someone suggests we break with fifty-plus years of tradition. Almost 90% of the people who respond are against it, but somehow, the change is made.  

I haven't gotten a strike this month yet, so the job is not quite yet complete. :D

On 9/5/2024 at 11:17 AM, Robot Man said:

Frankly, I don’t care what this category is called. Those of us in the know, know where to go to find what interests us…

Yeah, they should just call it "that era with the most fish face covers". Everyone'll know what that means. 

On 9/5/2024 at 11:39 AM, Robot Man said:

We now have the wheel, electricity and Ai roll with it folks. It really doesn’t matter…

Of course it matters. Things matter. Words matter. Actions matter. Decisions matter.