• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

250 posts in this topic

After thinking about it a little more I would say GA is three main era's , all overlapping each other of course. Pre Hero, Hero, Atomic. I'll stick with Atomic because Post Hero wouldn't be accurate. Plus it sounds stupid. 

Just noticed that the description of the thread is bothering me from a formatting perspective:

A forum for discussing golden & Atomic age comic books

I admit I have OCD, but doesn't the inconsistent use of capitalization bother anyone else?

Back to the original question, Atomic is just a subset of GA and didn't need to be broken out in my opinion.

On 9/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, piper said:

Back to the original question, Atomic is just a subset of GA and didn't need to be broken out in my opinion.

If this was only a forum devoted to Golden Age, I can see why you'd want to get granular but it isn't. It's a general comics discussion forum with a GA sub-category.

Further, the same can be said for every sub-forum as you start to dissect them. 

For example, I can see wanting to even split previously accepted things like the Silver Age. There was a distinct change after 1966 when Marvel expanded it's publishing and this propulsed DC and Marvel into new ways of storytelling. Neal Adams came onto the scene and there was a distinct focus that led away from Superheroes again, as titles expanded and was the start of what would become the Bronze Age but it was really Marvel's publishing change that really changed the dynamic. 

People never talk about this, but Marvel not only expanded their titles, but also changed their paper and quality of production post 1966, so there was a very distinct change to the physical feel of the books, as well as the content. 

My central point being that you can forever get more fine and granular with your categories, but where do you stop?

To my 54 year old ear it just sounds strange splitting the GA forum or renaming it at this point.

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/5/2024 at 1:19 PM, VintageComics said:

If this was a forum devoted to Golden Age, I can see why you'd want to get granular.

But the same can be said for everyone forum as you start to dissect them. 

For example, I can see wanting to even split previously accepted things like the Silver Age. There was a distinct change after 1966 when Marvel expanded it's publishing and this propulsed DC and Marvel into new ways of storytelling. Neal Adams came onto the scene and there was a distinct focus that led away from Superheroes again, as titles expanded and was the start of what would become the Bronze Age but it was really Marvel's publishing change that really changed the dynamic. 

People never talk about this, but Marvel not only expanded their titles, but also changed their paper and quality of production post 1966, so there was a very distinct change to the physical feel of the books, as well as the content. 

My central point being that you can forever get more fine and granular with your categories, but where do you stop?

To my 54 year old ear it just sounds strange splitting the GA forum or renaming it at this point.

Marvel is a great example of how impossible it is.  1950 Timely/Atlas is completely different than 1952, which is completely different than 1954 in terms of the bullpen, paper, genres, titles, etc.  Then 1955 you have the code, 1957 the Atlas implosion, 1959 Kirby/Ditko monsters take over, 1961 FF is introduced, then by 1963 it's all superhero.  So every year or two you have a completely different "feel" in almost every aspect.  

On 9/5/2024 at 2:19 PM, VintageComics said:

What does your 72 year old ear tell you?

lol.  This discussion is kind of cracking me up.  If you guys really want your own specific sections of the comic universe, you could try doing how geologists/paleontologists have broken up the geologic time scale.  You could have eons, then eras, then periods and epochs, etc. all the way down to ages.

So instead of having Hadean eon, Mesozoic era, etc for geology/paleontology.  You'd have the Golden era, with the Atomic period as a subset of it, followed by the Silver era... etc.  Not sure what would be the "eon" in comic book terms, but I'm sure it would be figured out.

Yes, it would be cool, but spectacularly confusing, and that's what we want!

On 9/5/2024 at 9:10 AM, VintageComics said:

I haven't gotten a strike this month yet, so the job is not quite yet complete. :D

Yeah, they should just call it "that era with the most fish face covers". Everyone'll know what that means. 

Of course it matters. Things matter. Words matter. Actions matter. Decisions matter. 

I was of course referring to the topic at hand not the great mysteries of life…:roflmao:

On 9/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, buttock said:

Marvel is a great example of how impossible it is.  1950 Timely/Atlas is completely different than 1952, which is completely different than 1954 in terms of the bullpen, paper, genres, titles, etc.  Then 1955 you have the code, 1957 the Atlas implosion, 1959 Kirby/Ditko monsters take over, 1961 FF is introduced, then by 1963 it's all superhero.  So every year or two you have a completely different "feel" in almost every aspect.  

That's a great example.

It also shows to me about how desperate Marvel (Timely / Atlas etc) were to compete and stay relevant as the scrappy underdog. Impressive, even, that they were constantly reinventing themselves until they came to finally dominate the industry. It's a great lesson in perseverance. 

Edited by VintageComics

Just noticed that the description of the thread is bothering me from a formatting perspective:

I admit I have OCD, but doesn't the inconsistent use of capitalization bother anyone else?

I too suffer from OCD.......OCD OCD OCD. Like Mike said he can always change it back. But now that it's done I guess a poll would be in order. A public poll, none of this secret vote "stuff".

Ain't like we got nothing better to do. 

Edited by Professor K
naughty word changed to something more age appropriate. By age I mean around 4.

On 9/5/2024 at 4:05 PM, MrBedrock said:

What does your 72 year old ear tell you?

Get that prostate checked. 

On 9/5/2024 at 5:30 PM, VintageComics said:

Get that prostate checked. 

Whose?

• Administrator
On 9/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, grendel013 said:

Yup.:shy:

@CGC Mike:baiting:

I changed the capital A in atomic, and removed the caps in comic books, which have been like that for over 20 years.  

On 9/5/2024 at 8:36 PM, CGC Mike said:

I changed the capital A in atomic, and removed the caps in comic books, which have been like that for over 20 years.  

Golden & atomic Age comic books

A forum for discussing golden & Atomic age comic books.

The above is how the title and subtitle currently read.

Below is how I think it should read:

Gold & Atom Age Comic Books [the first letter of each word is capitalized] 

A forum for discussing gold & atom age comic books. [all lower case except for the 1st letter]

These changes reflect how it appears in other forums.

----------------------------------------

Also, I changed the word Golden to Gold and Atomic to Atom. In this sentence, I think that the word Gold sits better than Golden and I've never heard anyone refer to the Atom Age of comics as Atomic Age.

The OP is from Switzerland and English is probably not their 1st language, which is why they worded it as Atomic and not Atom Age.

Using the word Golden in this title just doesn't sound right to these 54 year old ears.

Any English majors out there that want to take a stab at this? 

Finally, I'm curious as to why is the title being changed when the majority of people have stated they don't agree with the change?
Edited by VintageComics

On 9/5/2024 at 10:09 PM, VintageComics said:

Golden & atomic Age comic books

A forum for discussing golden & Atomic age comic books.

The above is how the title and subtitle currently read.

Below is how I think it should read:

Gold & Atom Age Comic Books [the first letter of each word is capitalized] 

A forum for discussing gold & atom age comic books. [all lower case except for the 1st letter]

These changes reflect how it appears in other forums.

Also, I changed the word Golden to Gold and Atomic to Atom. In this sentence, I think that the word Gold sits better than Golden and I've never heard anyone refer to the Atom Age of comics as Atomic Age.

Using the word Golden in this title just doesn't sound right to these 54 year old ears.

Any English majors out there that want to take a stab at this? 

Finally, I'm curious as to why is the title being changed when the majority of people have stated they don't agree with the change?

It's Golden and Atomic. Both words should be capitilized in a title. Both are adjectives to describe the age so golden and atomic are correct. Gold age would also be correct but no one says that. Atom age is always wrong. 

Edited by Professor K
grammar correction