• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
9 9

1,142 posts in this topic

I'm through the prologue and the first chapter. 

I have to say - your writing style is very digestible and enjoyable. 

Having read a number of self published books - I was nervous reading it would be a strain. 

I don't think I'll make major progress until next week. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 9/23/2024 at 8:16 PM, KCOComics said:

I'm through the prologue and the first chapter. 

I have to say - your writing style is very digestible and enjoyable. 

Having read a number of self published books - I was nervous reading it would be a strain. 

I don't think I'll make major progress until next week. 

Thank you!

On 9/23/2024 at 12:01 AM, Chip Cataldo said:

I had a nice spaghetti dinner with Byrne and Austin in a little restaurant in Connecticut back in 1995 after Terry and I spent several hours visiting John at his home. It was an amazing day for this comic nerd, let me tell you.

Lots of laughing and great conversation. :bigsmile: John is a great guy and Terry has always been an amazing friend. 'Nuff said.

Ok. I am glad it worked out with him. Good to hear. I must have caught him on a bad day. 

On 9/22/2024 at 9:16 PM, Prince Namor said:

With all due respect, Joe Simon didn't start making that claim until Kirby was dead.

I think Joe Simon's post-Kirby comic book career pretty much says it all.

And Joe Simon claiming HE hired Stan Lee is more BS - Simon tells his story differently here:

“Robbie had a sister named Celia Lieber, and one day brought in this sixteen-year-old kid* who was her son, Stanley. Martin wants you to just keep him out of the way,” he said. “Put him to work.” So young Stanley Lieber became my assistant and gopher.”

- Joe Simon from his book ‘Joe Simon: My Life in Comics’ (Titan Books, June 21, 2011)

(*Actually he was about a week or two from his 18th birthday)

And even after reading as many lies that Stan told in the OoMC, I still can chuckle at other BS he says in other places. (Like that article):

LEE: Well, I applied for a job in a publishing company... I didn't even know they published comics. I was fresh out of high school, and I wanted to get into the publishing business, if I could. There was an ad in the paper that said, "Assistant Wanted in a Publishing House." When I found out that they wanted me to assist in comics, I figured, "Well, I'll stay here for a little while and get some experience, and then I'll get out into the real world." In those days, it just didn't seem like comics was the kind of field that anybody would want to make a career in. They were the absolute bottom of the cultural totem pole. Nobody had any respect for comic books in those days.

Spot On!

On 9/23/2024 at 8:31 PM, Prince Namor said:

No one's questioning what he obviously wrote.

On 9/22/2024 at 4:58 PM, PopKulture said:

After his creator/artists brought him fully-fleshed out story pages! He didn’t write the stories: he sometimes edited their dialogue and, as you insist, may have added an insight or story element here or there.

Edited by namisgr

On 9/24/2024 at 9:36 AM, namisgr said:

On 9/23/2024 at 3:58 AM,  PopKulture said:

After his creator/artists brought him fully-fleshed out story pages! He didn’t write the stories: he sometimes edited their dialogue and, as you insist, may have added an insight or story element here or there.

He didn't write the stories. His artists did. 

And he sometimes edited their dialogue. We know this from original art pages where he took what Kirby wrote and altered it slightly.

He even says, "may have added an insight or story element here or there", which is true.

Which part are you saying is wrong?