• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2024 at 11:22 AM, comicwiz said:

The second part of that quote is what clinches this as something closer to the truth, and at a time period where you can't really reach for him being too old to remember accurately, memory decline, etc.

This is 1969, 8 years after the creation of FF #1. And it's literally from the horses mouth.

In previous posts, I mention how there are ways to see this in the original art borders/margins of works where he's stuck his signature on, even though he didn't contribute in any meaningful way.

There's a lot of articles on the margin notes. I've seen OA with notes. But The notes came later as the Marvel method was slowly implemented, probably starting with Kirby then Ditko, across the line for all artists. In fact, the earliest notes are by Lee, reflecting that when the art was dropped off he'd have a conversation with the artist to clarify what unclear action might have been about. Margin notes by Lee, Kirby, Ditko, etc. survive on OA. What they show is that they were just literally "notes." Often just a few words sketch to guide the dialogue - not dialogue at all - even for Lee's notes.

The dialogue is a full blown painting compared to the sketch provided by the notes. It really makes you appreciate what Stan was doing when you look at those notes. An Example: 

A-H-FF12-pg14.jpg

On 10/2/2024 at 2:44 PM, KCOComics said:

Stan fills in the dialog.  Everyone agrees. And it's pretty incredible that Stan was doing that for 12 - 16 stories at once, while running a business and doing marketing and being Funky Flashman.  

Larry Hama
"I was an editor at Marvel, and I always understood that if I created stuff as a staff employee, it belonged to the company. No editor should get further renumeration for coming up with material for their freelancers to work on. That is part of the job. They got a salary for that."

On 10/2/2024 at 2:50 PM, comicwiz said:

Larry Hama
"I was an editor at Marvel, and I always understood that if I created stuff as a staff employee, it belonged to the company. No editor should get further renumeration for coming up with material for their freelancers to work on. That is part of the job. They got a salary for that."

What is the argument? Jack's family shouldn't have gotten anything for Jack helping to create these characters? Because they belonged to the company? 

That is the argument Jack used against Joe Simon in 1966.  

I disagree with Jack on that. 

On 10/2/2024 at 11:50 AM, comicwiz said:

Larry Hama

With all due respect to Larry, who was twelve years old in 1961 and not working at Marvel, the scope of Stan's work for Marvel and the deal he had was between him and Marvel and probably unique to him for a lot of reasons. The issue is not what Stan got paid or why. Neither Stan nor Marvel ever complained about that. 

Not sure what Hama's opinion can add to the analysis given that he didn't start work at Marvel until into the 1970s when Marvel was owned and run by different people.

On 10/2/2024 at 11:55 AM, KCOComics said:

What is the argument? Jack's family shouldn't have gotten anything for Jack helping to create these characters? Because they belonged to the company? 

That is the argument Jack used against Joe Simon in 1966.  

I disagree with Jack on that. 

Sadly, legally, Jack was right in 1966 and wrong thereafter when he changed his position. And that was not the doing of Jack Kirby or Stan Lee. It was the courts.

On 10/2/2024 at 2:55 PM, KCOComics said:

Jack Kirby was a freelancer. Big difference.

I posted that quote in the context of Flashman doing his job as an editor, he didn't need to take anything other than his salary as editor. No credit or pay for writing, which he didn't even do.

That quote has context here, even though it was said at the time Houseroy was trying to take co-creator rights for Wolverine. It's the same tactic being reused over and over again.

Edited by comicwiz

On 10/2/2024 at 12:02 PM, comicwiz said:

Jack Kirby was a freelancer. Big difference.

That's not the way the legal issue turned out. The Kirby's will never wrest control of FF or anyone else from Marvel. That ship sailed. I hope that's not news to you, but the statutes and case law came out unfavorable to creators in Kirby's position. 

@Prince Namor

In your research endeavours, do you remember a quote from JC where she describes either being or wanting to be an artist, but she was afraid someone was going to steal her ideas and or art? I remember it being in an article on Stan Lee and/or their family. It was the weirdest thing I think I'd ever read, and I couldn't actually believe how oddly out of place it was for the time, because of all the controversy over Stan stealing credit from artists. 

This probably could have been something timed to a tell-all book being written on Marvel or Stan Lee, or something of this nature. Just wondering as that's one article that I knew I'd jotted down for reference and my own research, but kind of got lost in the shuffle.

On 10/2/2024 at 12:06 PM, KCOComics said:

This is why I've been so silent on this thread. 

Everyone digs into their position and it turns into - you can't support Stan without disparaging Jack. Or you can't support Jack without disparaging Stan (and Joe Simon apparently).  

I'm going to humbly bow back out. I love Jack.  Love everything he's done for comics and fully acknowledge he is the king and all collectors owe him a debt of gratitude. 

I also love Joe. He's drawn many of my favorite covers. I don't buy signature series comics as a rule, but Joe is one of 2 artists I really wanted to own a signature of. The other being Bernie Wrightson. 

And I love Stan. Whatever credit you want to give him as a writer, he is a cultural icon.  I've talked to creators who have told me about how incredibly hard he worked. Around the clock.  No one worked like Stan. And I really admire those people who move mountains to achieve something.  

For what it's worth,  I really love all the arguments both ways. I can read Chaz's book and appreciate it,  even without agreeing.  I have no mud to sling. I'm just really appreciative people like Stan, Jack and Joe existed,  so we can have these silly little arguments. 

Reading it is the key...even if you agree to disagree...still there is a great value in reading it an can change your opinion over time....after digesting it fully!

On 10/3/2024 at 1:27 AM, sfcityduck said:

It's a flip but accurate description of what was happening in 1969. And by the end of the 1960s my personal view is that both Stan and Jack were on the decline. The only writing credit Stan had that year was Spider-Man according to GCD. It's not how Stan would and did describe 1961. 

It really doesn't impact my view of Stan. I evaluate his writing based on the words on the page. And I always enjoyed his dialogue and his editorial content. It was great for its time. And some has passed the test of time which few comics do.

Stan had more than one 'writing' credit in 1969.

On 10/3/2024 at 2:33 AM, comicwiz said:

@Prince Namor

In your research endeavours, do you remember a quote from JC where she describes either being or wanting to be an artist, but she was afraid someone was going to steal her ideas and or art? I remember it being in an article on Stan Lee and/or their family. It was the weirdest thing I think I'd ever read, and I couldn't actually believe how oddly out of place it was for the time, because of all the controversy over Stan stealing credit from artists. 

This probably could have been something timed to a tell-all book being written on Marvel or Stan Lee, or something of this nature. Just wondering as that's one article that I knew I'd jotted down for reference and my own research, but kind of got lost in the shuffle.

LOL yeah I remember. I'm not sure where I read but... I know someone who will...

On 10/2/2024 at 3:14 PM, Prince Namor said:

Stan had more than one 'writing' credit in 1969.

What books was he writing in 1969? GCD has failed me in the past. Could be my mistake.