• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Platinum Age DC Comics pre-dating Action #1
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2024 at 7:14 PM, Frisco Larson said:

The only book I have a pic of at the moment that fits this thread is the one below. A humble first offering to be sure, but it's what I have for now. 

3001822_Full_Obv.jpg

That..... is a cool cover!  First appearance of Ivy League hostilities on a comic book cover?  Could be a "Classic Cover".

On 10/11/2024 at 9:18 PM, Telegan said:

That..... is a cool cover!  First appearance of Ivy League hostilities on a comic book cover?  Could be a "Classic Cover".

Thanks! That probably IS the first Ivy league hostilities cover! Might be tough to get the hobby to embrace is as a "classic" but I'll go along with it! The first 14 humor style issues of this run are almost completely overlooked, so anything to create awareness is cool with me!  (thumbsu

On 9/30/2024 at 8:31 PM, ThothAmon said:

IMG_6633.jpeg

IMG_4055.jpeg

IMG_5777.jpeg

A "super" man.. with the ability to lift an automobile overhead.. say, that's a little far fetched, but it I like it.  This character may have an audience.."    - Random conversation in 1938 after seeing this

Edited by Shazam500

On 10/16/2024 at 7:32 AM, Shazam500 said:

A "super" man.. with the ability to lift an automobile overhead.. say, that's a little far fetched, but it I like it.

Ironically, Flanagan himself thought very little of comic books.  In a 1953 newspaper feature he explained how he had been approached to draw Superman shortly after the character’s creation.  Flanagan said, “[Jerry Seigel] wanted me to do the artwork for the strip.  I thought he was crazy, and I still do.”  Flanagan did not want to draw characters that “pick up ocean liners with one hand and throw passenger trains across the continent.

On 10/19/2024 at 9:09 AM, mwotka said:

New Fun 2, pretty rough alas but super rare, some say the rarest DC book.  And then New Fun 5

I have not been able to get any clean scans of NF2 content.  (worship)

NF5 - first appearance of Bob Merritt!!  :whee:

On 10/19/2024 at 12:17 PM, Yorick said:

I have not been able to get any clean scans of NF2 content.  (worship)

NF5 - first appearance of Bob Merritt!!  :whee:

I would love it if DC would reprint New Fun beyond issue #1.  Although I'm also very glad they did finally reprint #1....

On 10/19/2024 at 12:20 PM, OtherEric said:

I would love it if DC would reprint New Fun beyond issue #1.  Although I'm also very glad they did finally reprint #1....

They did a really nice job with the NF1 Famous Firsts.  So happy to have a copy.