• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stay Safe
3 3

56 posts in this topic

This storm is nightmare fuel for Tampa and the state. 180mph now. Surge and flooding are monster villains. Heed the warnings. We've got pasture land in Ashe County NC. It was creekside, it's now riverfront. I'm either related to, or know, about 80% of that county. I've never seen that level damage over a wide corridor of land like I've seen in upper S.C, all of western N.C., Tennessee and Virginia from Helene. It's surreal. Bridges gone, my Grandma's old home obliterated. My old hometown was under 4 feet of water. It'll take years if not a decade + to recover.  :(

On 10/7/2024 at 6:14 PM, David-Lance Roten said:

This storm is nightmare fuel for Tampa and the state. 180mph now. Surge and flooding are monster villains. Heed the warnings. We've got pasture land in Ashe County NC. It was creekside, it's now riverfront. I'm either related to, or know, about 80% of that county. I've never seen that level damage over a wide corridor of land like I've seen in upper S.C, all of western N.C., Tennessee and Virginia from Helene. It's surreal. Bridges gone, my Grandma's old home obliterated. My old hometown was under 4 feet of water. It'll take years if not a decade + to recover.  :(

I have a friend (a former comics pro, actually, and now comics podcaster) that lives in Asheville. Fortunately his home and his wife's studio was spared, but they were without power, and it seems like it's going to be a long while before the power and water service are restored.

I hope all of cgc is taking a week off to brace for the storm and batten down the hatches. I wonder what contingencies and protections they have for the facility and books inside.

Always wondered why a comic grading service decided to have their base of operations in the most humid, flood prone and hurricane prone area of the US.  I get there's tax incentives but wouldn't a more arid and centrally located place like Colorado be better?

On 10/7/2024 at 10:51 PM, justafan said:

I hope all of cgc is taking a week off to brace for the storm and batten down the hatches. I wonder what contingencies and protections they have for the facility and books inside.

Always wondered why a comic grading service decided to have their base of operations in the most humid, flood prone and hurricane prone area of the US.  I get there's tax incentives but wouldn't a more arid and centrally located place like Colorado be better?

Or Arizona. Hot and dry most days

On 10/8/2024 at 10:44 AM, joeypost said:

I am in the path of the storm, and we hope it is a category 1 by the time it hits us. I will do my best to document the changes in weather and take pictures of the aftermath once it is safe. 

Good luck man. Stay safe.

On 10/8/2024 at 8:55 AM, comicstock said:

I was there a few years after it opened.  It's a fortress.  :manhero:

Did you ever go to the old one in Sarasota?  That place looked like a gust of wind could have knocked that place down.  lol

this was in the "ask cgc" forums, thought it would be of comfort.

image.thumb.png.7ca2ebbc3f5288161044920c7a1cdf0c.png

On 10/8/2024 at 2:41 PM, MattM CS said:

Great question!

Rest assured our teams have taken most of yesterday and all of today to prepare our multiple offices for this storm and secure all collectibles for the coming storm. The offices are not in a mandatory evac zone nor in a flood zone at all. Thanks for checking! 

Regarding any submissions or signings in house, we do not expect signings to be delayed because of this storm. That said, please note, the cut off date does not reflect the signing dates. These dates are scheduled weeks or months in advance to allow time for the processing of the signing submissions to the event. Thanks for your patience. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM