• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC All In/Absolute
1 1

62 posts in this topic

Scott Snyder did a YouTube interview, a month ago, where he described Nick's style on this book as a cross between Mazzucchelli (one of my all-time favorites) and Manga.

Nick was on with Felix the other day discussing their trip to Japan and how it influenced his Batman design and informed all this crazy kinetic energy you get in the book.

I am not familiar with any of Nick's prior work so I can't speak to how this book/style compares to past projects, but I have to say I really enjoy the OA. Nick's choices in panel and page layout are very cinematic but more importantly he really owns the new Batman design.... the majority of the artists that did variant covers missed the mark. 

I will say this, the colors didn't help the art. By comparison here is Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth and then Nick and Frank.

Matt let's those speed lines breathe, you don't lose any of those inks and you keep that kinetic energy. 

I loved Scott on Batman New 52. His inspirations for those runs: Court of Owl, etc were all personal. Absolute Batman is no different writing a new Batman and drawing inspiration from fears/concerns he sees his own kids dealing with (ie school shootings).

I know it's outside DC continuity but some of the best Batman stories ever told have been. 

Time will tell.

Screenshot_20241012_054151_Kindle.jpg

New Doc 2019-10-08 14.50.33_7.jpg

Screenshot_20241012_055104_Kindle.jpg

101024204947pgPItlP6pD.jpg

On 10/11/2024 at 9:20 PM, Nexus said:

A Kirby collector complaining about anatomy. The internet strikes again.

Ow. That hurts. Stop.

I find it funny the slightest criticism of one of "your" artists causes you to crawl out from under your rock to throw snark. Let the other members defend the art, as they have here. They are far more effective advocates because they have the benefit of not being seen as paid shills.

Was that too harsh? Gosh. Sorry!

On 10/12/2024 at 5:05 AM, Stefanomjr said:

Scott Snyder did a YouTube interview, a month ago, where he described Nick's style on this book as a cross between Mazzucchelli (one of my all-time favorites) and Manga.

Nick was on with Felix the other day discussing their trip to Japan and how it influenced his Batman design and informed all this crazy kinetic energy you get in the book.

I had not heard that before but it makes complete sense looking at the final product. You can really see those influences both in style and depiction of movement. 

On 10/12/2024 at 4:52 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Ow. That hurts. Stop.

I find it funny the slightest criticism of one of "your" artists causes you to crawl out from under your rock to throw snark. Let the other members defend the art, as they have here. They are far more effective advocates because they have the benefit of not being seen as paid shills.

Was that too harsh? Gosh. Sorry!

I'm not defending the art. People can love it or hate it. I just find it funny that the chip on your shoulder makes you blind to your own hypocrisy.

Not just about this art, either. I've got 8X as many posts here. I've met many boardies here in person. I don't hide my identity. And yet I'm the one who's under a rock...?

tumblr_mt3ix0ua7I1qgqj2zo1_500.gifv

On 10/11/2024 at 8:25 PM, Nexus said:

It is a very big deal, especially for Nick, as he’s been almost entirely digital for the past 10 years. I don’t do “artist’s proofs” so this is his only significant income from art sales in that time.

He’s going to be doing more on paper now.

Hard to blame him. lol

It was dec.

On 10/12/2024 at 11:54 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Darnit. I was all ready to see what the fuss was about BUT it was already sold out! Maybe I’ll be able to snag the second issue.

Congrats to Nick and Felix on the hugely successful art drop. 

It went to third printing today. Can always buy digitally

On 10/11/2024 at 9:25 PM, Nexus said:

It is a very big deal, especially for Nick, as he’s been almost entirely digital for the past 10 years. I don’t do “artist’s proofs” so this is his only significant income from art sales in that time.

He’s going to be doing more on paper now.

330k is just isanity. And this is just issue 1. 

If I'm a big shot comic artist I'd be seriously considering going all traditional.(of course I myself do all of my own art traditional already but I have to imagine they are thinking about these numbers)

Considering future issues are almost guaranteed to have villains making their debuts in this universe I imagine they'll all go for decent rates. If I were in a higher tax bracket I'd be itching for one for sure.

On 10/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, KirbyCollector said:

$70,000 for a drawing with some of the worst rendered anatomy I've ever seen. And boring, to boot.

1929 vibes

One would think you'd be happy for a living artist who got a payout, an art rep who helped them get it, and interest enough from collectors to scoop up so many pieces. I find it exciting and fascinating, and only bodes well for the longevity of the hobby. Throwing shade instead of keeping your opinion to yourself just makes you look like a cynical jerk -  food for thought.

Isn't it easier to make the comparison, that if we're just to talk about the Batman property...the 2011 Batman #1 cover by Capullo sold for 50k some years back.  And as far as I know, he did sell it and posted that he personally had a drink with the buyer the day he handed it off.  That book had the same writer, Scott Snyder, as in this new series.  Weren't his 2011 page prices on par with what we are seeing here with Dragotta's pages.  And Capullo had his pages inked by Glapion at the time, not to diminish his work...but it wasn't all Capullo on the pages like with Dragotta's work.  If you wanna collect Batman...you gotta pay Batman prices.

On 10/11/2024 at 8:40 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

Not sure how many board members are listening but Adam Kubert was on Mark Millar's podcast recently and briefly mentioned that he started drawing pencil again because he was missing out on art sales by going digital. Hopefully more artists trend this way! 

I guess we’ve come full circle from the days of “:butbutbutemoji:going digital helps me get the art done faster” and collectors bemoaning that artists are leaving money on the table. doh!