• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

387 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2024 at 8:04 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I haven't commented on what they should do.  I'm saying this wasn't a mistake.  

Something you do knowingly for 20 years isn't a "mistake".

If they want to correct what you call their "mistake".....then I imagine they'll be accepting all of the CGC 9.8 books back for a free evaluation and upgrade to those books that deserve it.  Just let me know when that happens.

This isn't something they're doing for altruistic reasons to correct a wrong.  They're doing it to make more money.  Period.

Who gives a flying rats you know what about what the reason is they are doing this. They are a for profit corporation so yes I would expect that it's a business decision that will help revenue. All I care about is the end result, not the reasons behind it. The end result is favorable and unlike some of the boardies here, like you apparently, I have no delusions about CGC being some sort of altruistic for the betterment of the hobby organization. 

On 10/19/2024 at 8:06 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I think I remember seeing something about that in their early advertisements.

Tell me something... when was the last time you chased a 9.9 or 10? For that matter how many 9.8 moderns and coppers do you have in your collection? Are you invested in this discussion or are you here to whine about corporate evil and greed? I get it, capitalism bad. Cool!

On 10/19/2024 at 8:14 PM, COI said:

Again, it wasn't a mistake initially, it was a strategy, and now they've changed their strategy. 

As with any change, some will benefit, others won't. You stated as much, so I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me. You see it as a win going forward, others will see the losses looking backwards. It's a difference of perspective, so you answered your own question. You can disagree with those looking backwards, but it shouldn't be hard to understand the frustration.

I do understand the frustration because I share it however it seems that you and others are suggesting they should just continue the sins of the past because... well then there won't be as much butthurt. If that's not what you're suggesting, I apologize, that is what I took from your post.

On 10/19/2024 at 10:13 PM, LordRahl said:

Tell me something... when was the last time you chased a 9.9 or 10? For that matter how many 9.8 moderns and coppers do you have in your collection? Are you invested in this discussion or are you here to whine about corporate evil and greed? I get it, capitalism bad. Cool!

Can you fit the whole Tootsie Roll in your mouth at once?  

I'm talking about a full-size one.....not those little minis.

On 10/19/2024 at 7:58 PM, LordRahl said:

The amount of butthurt in this thread over 9.9s is astounding and really kind of funny. Especially funny when you consider that I'm pretty sure most of you don't play in the modern/copper 9.9 space so honestly WTF do you care? (shrug)

Maybe we would play in the modern/copper 9.9 space, if they didn't hold back on those grades and graded books what they should be.

Maybe... they decided to do it because... the competition has been doing since Day One and it gave them a small opening in the marketplace.

Sort of like how they now do signature authentication on cards... you KNOW that's eventually going to expand to comics....

It's a business. Sooner or later somebody high up is going to say, "Why are we limiting our earning potential?"

Because that's what it is. 

Not giving a VALUE JUDGEMENT on it, just stating the obvious. 

On 10/19/2024 at 8:29 PM, COI said:

My position is that if 9.9s and 10.0s are assigned as a matter of policy and not solely based on the quality of the book, then the designation of the grade is arbitrary. It's arbitrary now with the changed policy, just as it was arbitrary for the last 20 years when they were constraining the 9.9. Doing anything other than grading the book to the best of their ability, in accordance with set standards, is arbitrary. It's not a correction of a mistake, it's a change of strategy.

I agree with you that they're in this for profit, and I'm not surprised or even outraged by any of it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to point out that I think their policies are nonsense. I'm not upset about it because it doesn't affect me, but I find the conversation interesting and so I threw my 2 cents in. 

Let me be clear on my position. I absolutely agree with you that they should be grading the book in front of them to the best of their ability. That wasn't happening in the past. My take on it is that it will be happening in the future, not that their grading standards have changed and it will now be easier to get a 9.9 or 10 because they've loosened up the standards. If they have actually loosened their standards and books that are not deserving of a 9.9 or 10 start getting them, I will not be happy with that.

On 10/19/2024 at 11:00 PM, LordRahl said:

Let me be clear on my position. I absolutely agree with you that they should be grading the book in front of them to the best of their ability. That wasn't happening in the past. My take on it is that it will be happening in the future, not that their grading standards have changed and it will now be easier to get a 9.9 or 10 because they've loosened up the standards. If they have actually loosened their standards and books that are not deserving of a 9.9 or 10 start getting them, I will not be happy with that.

We can only hope.

Also, I would like to formally request that you take me off of your ignore list.

I feel that I've served my time like a man and think I deserve that much.

Greggy can vouch for me if he's extremely drunk.

Just don't listen to what he says about me when he's not drinking.....he's a filthy liar when he's sober.

Edited by Domo Arigato