• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

381 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2024 at 2:59 PM, thehumantorch said:

Joey, have you ever sent in a customer’s submission that hit this percentage of 9.9s?

I've been watching Greegy post books that he recently got back and I don't think I've ever seen him get more than 1 for even a handful of submissions.  That is a crazy amount of 9.9 books for a 500 copper age book submission let alone a couple dozen.

Edited by 1Cool

RMA has been crushing 9.9s lately.  He is a fantastic grader and has a killer amount of stock. I am certain he has become an excellent paper mechanic as well. However, his postings and this video make me think that there has been a significant change in the philosophy of finishing and final grading books at 9.9. 

On 10/17/2024 at 12:38 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Scam. 

On 10/17/2024 at 12:24 PM, seanfingh said:

RMA has been crushing 9.9s lately.  He is a fantastic grader and has a killer amount of stock. I am certain he has become an excellent paper mechanic as well. However, his postings and this video make me think that there has been a significant change in the philosophy of finishing and final grading books at 9.9. 

Sorry I wasn’t commenting on your note just a general comment. This 9.9 stuff is nothing but a money printing scam. 

On 10/17/2024 at 2:59 PM, thehumantorch said:

Joey, have you ever sent in a customer’s submission that hit this percentage of 9.9s?

I have not. One got 5-6 on some of those modems with card stock covers, but that was many years ago. I have gotten some 9.9’s and 10’s over the years, but they have been far and few in between. 

On 10/17/2024 at 5:37 PM, joeypost said:

I have not. One got 5-6 on some of those modems with card stock covers, but that was many years ago. I have gotten some 9.9’s and 10’s over the years, but they have been far and few in between. 

I was hoping you were the new Heisenberg. There goes that theory.:(

It's crazy to me how we don't see more 9.9s with modern books.  I submitted one of those giant size books, with hard stock cover, never opened and it came back a 9.6.  Corners were sharp and everything.  Also, I have no idea how they grade those without looking inside the book and thereby damaging the binding.

On 10/17/2024 at 4:12 PM, ExNihilo said:

And despite that, people will continue to pour money into slabbing books.

I would tend to agree - however, there will be some people who say "Enough is enough." Eventually the latter will outnumber the former.

/My slabs are all gone - I'm just here for the conversation.

On 10/17/2024 at 6:08 PM, comicwiz said:

When I posted about the CGC Rule, I had a very bad feeling (lets call it a premonition) about something like this happening. 

Uh oh...