• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading shenanigans at CGC?
9 9

381 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2024 at 9:23 PM, CGC Mike said:

I will pass this along, and mention that there is a census error with 2 books. 

Gee....thanks @CGC Mike. Thanks for "passing this along". And that will do what exactly? I don't believe this was a mistake. Really? TWO 9.9's in a single submission "accidentally" logged as 9.8's? If, by some small chance this is the case, what kind of Mickey Mouse operation is CGC running? A random Boardy has to post about a whopper "mistake" that was missed by CGC for it to be detected? Just like the community detected Swapgate and Bananagate and you "passed that along" too? You say these things just to throw everyone a bone, knowing full well it means nothing.

Yea, you're just the messenger right? Sorry, not sorry. As far as I'm concerned, you're a part of this racket. This latest 9.9 submission is terrible. CGC = Enron 2.0.

On 10/17/2024 at 3:05 PM, 1Cool said:

I've been watching Greegy post books that he recently got back and I don't think I've ever seen him get more than 1 for even a handful of submissions.  That is a crazy amount of 9.9 books in a 500 copper age book order. 

I will also wait to pass judgement, as I have not seen the books in question. 

On 10/17/2024 at 8:31 PM, joeypost said:

I will also wait to pass judgement, as I have not seen the books in question. 

I looked through the scans pretty carefully in prep for the video I did on this a few days ago, and the books themselves are gorgeous. The caveat is that it is tough to see minute differences (like between a 9.8 and 9.9) in a scan. I will say that when I looked through them the thought that crossed my mind is that it looked as though someone brought a stack of comics to a show or something and asked the grader to pull the best ones. Not saying that actually happened, but they are consistently awesome copies. 

On 10/17/2024 at 9:48 PM, comicwiz said:

In 2021, there were a series of record sales that occurred which allowed Marvel Universe, and other super-hero related trading cards (1991 Impel Deadpool promo comes to mind) to achieve a sudden and almost unexpected increase in submissions. In February 2021, I checked the PSA's population on Marvel Universe cards, and of the near 3000 submitted in a very short time (2,937 to be exact), 1.981 graded as 10's. That's roughly 67% of the population of cards graded being 10's.

As one might expect, that market plummeted very soon after, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why. 

In this instance, what we see is someone batting at roughly 57% on the total 21 books, with 12 getting 9.9's. And like the exploding population of 10's we saw with PSA, and a general perception that it wasn't as hard to crack a 10, there is the added twist in this situation where several of the 9.9's are actually showing up as 9.8's on the census.

I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing these occurrences as being troubling. 

There are definitely a lot of very valid concerns. 

The biggest red flags for me were the X-Men Annual 3 ( 1 of 2 hit) and the X-Men 174 9.9s that both the single highest graded copies of those books. The flag (for me) is that those books are barely worth grading with values of about a hundred bucks give or take even if they hit 9.8. 

On 10/17/2024 at 9:07 PM, Stefan_W said:

There are definitely a lot of very valid concerns. 

The biggest red flags for me were the X-Men Annual 3 ( 1 of 2 hit) and the X-Men 174 9.9s that both the single highest graded copies of those books. The flag (for me) is that those books are barely worth grading with values of about a hundred bucks give or take even if they hit 9.8. 

Can you imagine sending in X-Men Annual 3's and X-Men 174's under high value/unlimited tier and not getting a 9.9? That would be crazy!

On 10/17/2024 at 9:54 PM, Timed said:

Can you imagine sending in X-Men Annual 3's and X-Men 174's under high value/unlimited tier and not getting a 9.9? That would be crazy!

Definitely this. Why on earth would anyone be inclined to proactively submit these two common books under a higher level tier unless they had some data point that would lead them to do so?

Edited by J Bill

On 10/17/2024 at 10:02 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Is it possible that books got submitted under the normal tier then got bumped up to the high value/unlimited tier? 

I could be wrong here, but since this order was sent in as a mix of silver/bronze/copper, I think they would all have to be submitted under a higher level tier? Anything else and they'd have to be separate orders.

Edited by J Bill