• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did everyone else get their Heritage catalog yesterday?

169 posts in this topic

Nope. I don't bid on Heritage auctions.

Them being allowed to bid on their own auctions makes them bigger black-hearted dwarfs than I am. 893naughty-thumb.gif

True. But set your max of what you're willing to pay and leave it at that.

BTW - ALOT of SA bound copies in this auction. 893whatthe.gif

Is this what you'd do if you knew someone was shill bidding on an eBay auction you were interested in? confused-smiley-013.gif

I want to be bidding fairly against other bidders...not some Heritage employee or insider with an unfair advantage.

Ebay has specific rules against this, and they make sense:

"Shill Bidding is bidding that artificially increases an item’s price or apparent desirability, or bidding by individuals with a level of access to the seller’s item information not available to the general Community. Shill Bidding is prohibited on eBay.

Because family members, roommates and employees of sellers have a level of access to item information which is not available to the general Community, they are not permitted to bid on items offered by the seller -- even if their sole intent is to purchase the item. Family members, roommates or employees may purchase items from a seller without violating this policy simply by using purchase options -- such as Buy It Now -- which do not involve bidding"

I thought there were some really great GA books

Larson More Fun #52 & #53

Mile High More Fun #73

Two World's Fair 1939s and three World's Fair 1940s

Green Lantern #36 9.6

893whatthe.gif

What, Fox and the Crow #1 not good enough for you? poke2.gif

Yeah, you're right, there are some truly awesome big hero books as well thumbsup2.gif

i had no idea heritage did that, guess it's a good thing i haven't bid or paid that high commis err BP.

Don't sweat it.

Just look for deals.

I just won this item minutes ago!

Even with shipping and BP it's under half book for the pair. grin.gif

Even with shipping and BP it's under half book for the pair.

That's a nice pickup. I was referring more to the CGC high grade copies that some of the heritage "crew" might have their eyes on for various reasons. But the whole setup just rubs me the wrong way so I tend to just stay away.

No big deal though...less competition for you guys. thumbsup2.gif

Even with shipping and BP it's under half book for the pair.

That's a nice pickup. I was referring more to the CGC high grade copies that some of the heritage "crew" might have their eyes on for various reasons. But the whole setup just rubs me the wrong way so I tend to just stay away.

No big deal though...less competition for you guys. thumbsup2.gif

I wonder how they knew I needed both of those in a mixed lot?

I only needed 3 JIMs above issue 103 and 3 ASMs between 20-40.

crazy.gif

Is this what you'd do if you knew someone was shill bidding on an eBay auction you were interested in?

I want to be bidding fairly against other bidders...not some Heritage employee or insider with an unfair advantage.

Ebay has specific rules against this, and they make sense:

"Shill Bidding is bidding that artificially increases an item’s price or apparent desirability, or bidding by individuals with a level of access to the seller’s item information not available to the general Community. Shill Bidding is prohibited on eBay.

Because family members, roommates and employees of sellers have a level of access to item information which is not available to the general Community, they are not permitted to bid on items offered by the seller -- even if their sole intent is to purchase the item. Family members, roommates or employees may purchase items from a seller without violating this policy simply by using purchase options -- such as Buy It Now -- which do not involve bidding"

My view: Shill bidding is against E-Bay's policy but quite often it appears (based on a review of the bidding) you are bidding against shills. In addition I have observed some sellers who put their books up with no reserve and cancel their auctions on the final day if the price isn't achieving a high enough result.

I find it difficult to believe that shill bidding doen't occur on every auction site.

Regarding Heritage- I like their auctions. Their merchandise is first class and I fully understand their rules. I set a maximum price I am willing to pay and bid accordingly. Everyone sees the reserve by auction day. If the reserve is met and I am the highest bidder I win the book. I bid based on the worth of a book to me. I set my prices (and strategy) after receiving the catalogue. I rarely break my discipline and raise my bid based on the fact that someone will pay more than my maximum bid. Auction sellers prey on those with little self discipline. Are shills outbidding me? I don't really care.

I find it difficult to believe that shill bidding doen't occur on every auction site.

I'm sure shill bidding does occur on every auction site. But rest assured...if I notice someone shill bidding on their own auctions, I won't be bidding on their auctions anymore...I don't care how nice their merchandise is.

And sure, you might win auctions for less than the maximum amount you bid...but it's also possible you could have won them for even less if the shill bidding wasn't taking place to begin with.

Nope. I don't bid on Heritage auctions.

Them being allowed to bid on their own auctions makes them bigger black-hearted dwarfs than I am. 893naughty-thumb.gif

BTW - ALOT of SA bound copies in this auction. 893whatthe.gif

Yeah, I saw that. I have a bid on one of The House of

Secret Bound Volumes.

I'm sure shill bidding does occur on every auction site. But rest assured...if I notice someone shill bidding on their own auctions, I won't be bidding on their auctions anymore...I don't care how nice their merchandise is.

Shill bidding does not occur on every auction site but I agree with you on your second comment. I won't bid on some established sellers' auctions because of documented shill bidding. As for the Heritage Auctions, it looks like the sales will continue to be strong for the key books and quality material. I placed some very competitive bids on several items and have been outbid. This does not usually happen to me with 17 or so days to go. frown.gif

Shill bidding does not occur on every auction site but I agree with you on your second comment.

Are you saying there is an auction site where absolutely no shill bidding has taken place...ever? confused.gif

If so, I'm curious as to which one it is and how you can possibly know this.

I didn't say that it occurs on every auction at each site...but I'm sure that, most likely, every auction site has had at least some shill bidding taking place at one time or another on them.

Shill bidding does not occur on every auction site but I agree with you on your second comment.

Are you saying there is an auction site where absolutely no shill bidding has taken place...ever? confused.gif

If so, I'm curious as to which one it is and how you can possibly know this.

I didn't say that it occurs on every auction at each site...but I'm sure that, most likely, every auction site has had at least some shill bidding taking place at one time or another on them.

makepoint.gif

Actually I thought that overall the SA lineup was weak compared to the usual batch of books they have. confused-smiley-013.gif

GA is definitely the strength of this auction, although the 9.4 ST 110 and 115 are nice bookd not commonly offered publicly in this kind of grade.

But the GA is off the charts. The Flash #1 is already at $115K and the Marvel Comics #1 is already at $138K, each inclusive of BP. With the bidding yet to really open on the More Fun #52, there could very easily be 3 books breaking $100K, and maybe 2 breaking $200K. Plus, a bunch potentially in the high 5-figures, including the Superman #2, the Daring Mystery Comics #1 and the Human Torch #1.