• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golly were you folks right or what?

40 posts in this topic

All in all, I lost $60. Which could be worse. But I bought before I found this site .................. however, I'll certainly make a point of paying very close attention to the advise that I've found here from now on. I'll check out the marketplace forum, and I'll be MUCH more careful in the future. Because my mistake could have been a LOT worse. (Although, I'm still annoyed at getting ripped off in such a blatent way. *glares at an ebay seller*)

What I purchased was supposedly a "very fine" X-men #17 in "perfect" condition. (I dunno if this link will work ........... ebay ) What I received is a book that is barely what I'd call 'good'. Frankly many of the comic that I had as a kid and banged up as a kid are in better condition, and I consider them as 'poor'. I'd put up a scan, but I don't have a scanner.

So when I ask this person for a refund, they not only refuse but claim that all their books are in "good condition". Except that I didn't lay out sixty bucks for a "good condition" book! I am so sick to my stomach that I don't even know if it's worth leaving a negative feedback. For all I know, they'll play a game of payback and leave me a negative comment in return ........... even though I paid within minutes of the auction and all I did was ask privately for a refund. I can see someone who would refuse a refund after sending out such an obviously poor book doing just that -- leave a negative comment for me because I left one for them.

sorry for the rant. The more I typed, the angrier I got. I need to go eat, turn off the computer and remind myself that all in all $60 is fairly cheap for a lesson about ebay sellers. AND to be fair to myself and my buying skills, out of the five books that I've received, four have been either pretty darned close or exactly what I expected. Frankly, one worries me a bit because it seems too good. lol

8.5 <> perfect

Although the scan of the book looks decent (although small)....did he do a bait and switch? I don't see "good" listed in the auction...only 8.5 and perfect. ??

Sorry about this...although I suspect every comic collector here is shaking their heads while they recollect their personal eBay horror story.

Sterling

well, a low grade x-men 17 ought to be worth $5-$15 on ebay, depending on how the wind is blowing, perhaps more if you're being anal in your complaints and it's not really that beat up.

these complaints work better here with a scan of the mangled comic in question

Take a screenshot of the auction and save a copy of the scan before he takes it down.

Red

I was thinking the same thing but unless I'm mistaken it's part of eBay's image system (in which case he can't control the image disposition).

A good idea in any event.

The comic that I received is NOT what is pictured. So I don't know if it was a bait and switch or if he touched up the photo to remove the cover flaws.

And yes, I'll get a scan. But it'll probably be tomorrow and then I need to figure out how to get it on the net (I shut down my website a few months ago, so I don't have webspace to upload it to). I wish that I had one to show you that I am not being anal. This is not a 'very fine' book. Not even 'fine'. I barely have a clue how to grade books, but I will be shocked if anyone agrees that this is even 'fine'.

I didn't know that about paypal, though. Thanks, I'll check it out. I'll also check out if I have any options because I used my credit card to pay.

ohhhhh And yes, the first thing that I did was take a screen shot of the auction page. lol

btw, guys, I was stupid when I bought the book. Frankly, I'm half tempted to frame it to remind me to be a smarter consumer next time. Because if I'm not overreacting and if I was taken, it's my own fault.

btw, guys, I was stupid when I bought the book. Frankly, I'm half tempted to frame it to remind me to be a smarter consumer next time. Because if I'm not overreacting and if I was taken, it's my own fault.

I recall one of my first stupid ebay purchases....tomb of dracula 1-4 in "nm" condition. No pics. No returns. Paid $100. Books were no better than in FN condition each. 27_laughing.gif

We've all been there and done that (at one time or another)....for sure.

Here is a tip I use EVERY time. If I haven't bought from a seller before I go through at least a few of their other comic auctions (either past or present) to get a sense of their grading. If you had done that you would have come across this auction with a far from "perfect" comic and probably avoided all this trouble.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-4...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's also a good idea to request larger scans. If they refuse or don't write back it's probably best to avoid the auction.

Here is a tip I use EVERY time. If I haven't bought from a seller before I go through at least a few of their other comic auctions (either past or present) to get a sense of their grading. If you had done that you would have come across this auction with a far from "perfect" comic and probably avoided all this trouble.

It's also a good idea to request larger scans. If they refuse or don't write back it's probably best to avoid the auction.

If they sell raw books and don't have a clear return policy, it's best to avoid the auction.

I'd scan it/copy it and frame it.

The constant reminder may well yield a valuable return. My "learning opportunity" was a bit more expensive. 27_laughing.gif

If they sell raw books and don't have a clear return policy, it's best to avoid the auction.

I really haven't run into any problems with returns and it's not like I don't do it often. I just checked my spreadsheet and I have returned 18 raw purchases in the last eight months and they were all to separate sellers. I don't remember any of them outlining their return policy, but I had no problems.

In any case, buying raw on eBay is like walking through a minefield. Step carefully, use every tool at your disposal, and know how to spot the questionable areas.