• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

Everyone wants disclosure, yet once disclosed, that disclosure is pointless unless the buyer turned seller discloses it to the person they are selling it to. (that is the tricky part)

Wow Kenny,

Are you channeling Matt Nelson with this comment? 893whatthe.gif

This statement always killed me when Matt said it and my opinion is no different now. Disclosure ALWAYS has to start with the person with the first hand knowledge of the work done to the book. Once it's left their hands the onus is on the new owner.

You can't sit around and worry about what the next guy is going to do. I can tell you for certainty what the next seller won't do if they don't know about any work done to a book...they won't disclose anything because they don't know makepoint.gif

Who did you send those emails to?

I sent an email to Brent and posted twice, both times in threads that YOU read.

Links? Sorry, but I've had you on ignore for months.

It was requoted several times by others in the thread, so don't act like you didn't see it. This is exactly the kind of "intentional" deception that I am talking about. You pretend like you didn't see it so that you can play innocent. Pathetic.

I'm not an authority. I just have a very clear position on all this. I am a long time collector, a commercial artist and an educator. I'm a strong consumer advocate. What else do you want to know?

Thanks bro. I've held my tongue long enough. There are plenty of others on the boards that feel the same way as I do about these guys. Plenty. Many of them have contacted me tonight to let me know. And contrary to their belief, I didn't even know most of the ones who sent me messages of support.

I'd wager that most folks tire of the tactics they employ and for the sake of civility have not fired back. I understand that, and was doing the same thing. I have just had my fill of it.

That's too bad, because you're going to keep getting more of it. And you're going to keep hearing more about it. Whether you like it or not doesn't make a whit of difference.

Have you actually read through the Manufactured Gold thread? Have you checked out the Gallery of Disclosure? I'm sure you haven't. Don't let the facts get in the way of your outrage.

Distort the opposition's arguments all you want. Act outraged. Act fed up.

It doesn't matter. My concern is for the buyer. Not for the dealers with an overblown sense of entitlement. Sorry to pisss in your little pond.

You're more than a day late on this. You're about a year late. If you have anything of substance, we're all still waiting. He's actually done a much better job of stating his position on these boards than you're obviously capable of doing. With friends like you, Matt doesn't need any detractors.

I do want to thank you for making me realize that there is a lot more work to be done to get the word out to the general public about the deceptive practices going on in the hobby. You seem to think that an attempt at a personal attack is a substitute for debate. It isn't. It simply reeks of desperation.

And who are you? I'm just asking as someone newer to the boards. You seem to talk alot and act with some kind of authority. I'm wondering how and where you got it.

That's what I want to know. When you say "We're still waiting," who is the "we" in that sentence? confused.gif

It was requoted several times by others in the thread, so don't act like you didn't see it. This is exactly the kind of "intentional" deception that I am talking about. You pretend like you didn't see it so that you can play innocent. Pathetic.

No, I honestly don't recall seeing it. Call it what you want. Here's your chance to pound NOD again!

Post the links or STFU already. hi.gif

I go for a nice weekend skiing and look what happens while I'm gone....

Thank goodness that I can't read, otherwise this thread would have driven me crazy.

Ya think? 27_laughing.gif

No, I honestly don't recall seeing it. Call it what you want. Here's your chance to pound NOD again!

What, I'm not on ignore anymore? OK, Mr. Self-important hypocrite, do your own homework.

I have to admit, I don't really recall it either. I remember you talking about some books that you didn't feel had definitive proof of being tampered with or being the same book, but I thought each time it was overwhelmingly obvious to be the same books to everybody else.

If this isn't what you are referring to, then I definately don't remember the posts.

What, I'm not on ignore anymore? OK, Mr. Self-important hypocrite, do your own homework.

Wait a minute, goofy. You were the one that brought up the references. Don't post 'em for all I care. I gave you a shot. screwy.gif

I'm not an authority. I just have a very clear position on all this. I am a long time collector, a commercial artist and an educator. I'm a strong consumer advocate. What else do you want to know?

How long have you been actively involved in the hobby, are you a member of any comic related groups (NOD, AACC, Overstreet Advisor etc.)? Which dealers have you had good and bad experiences with? I don't mean to sound like an inquisitor (though I am inquisitive!) I am really just curious how you formed your views on this segment of the hobby. They seem fairly strident to me and I wonder where they are coming from.

Wait a minute, goofy. You were the one that brought up the references. Don't post 'em for all I care. I gave you a shot. screwy.gif

Actually, by not fixing the Gallery of Misinformation the first three times I brought it up, you clowns already made my point for me -- that the Gallery is not about education; it's about leading people to believe that you're accomplishing something and it's also about dressing yourselves up as experts in an area in which you know next to nothing. Every day that it remains as is only cements the point further. Leave it like it is. They aren't my books, and I can think of no better evidence of your collective ignorance and presumptuousness than your Gallery. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have to admit, I don't really recall it either. I remember you talking about some books that you didn't feel had definitive proof of being tampered with or being the same book, but I thought each time it was overwhelmingly obvious to be the same books to everybody else.

If this isn't what you are referring to, then I definately don't remember the posts.

Here is one thread. He wasn't the only one to express some reservations...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...part=1&vc=1

There's nothing specific in that thread at all. And of course you'd have to buy the fact that Scott knows infinitely more about restoration than anyone else on the boards. But then, Scott knows infinitely more about everything than anyone else on the boards. That's why we love him. wink.gif

There's nothing specific in that thread at all. And of course you'd have to buy the fact that Scott knows infinitely more about restoration than anyone else on the boards. But then, Scott knows infinitely more about everything than anyone else on the boards. That's why we love him. wink.gif

Here is another. Normally I wouldn't bother, but I would rather hear a debate than bickering over who has to use the search function.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rt=251&vc=1

How long have you been actively involved in the hobby, are you a member of any comic related groups (NOD, AACC, Overstreet Advisor etc.)? Which dealers have you had good and bad experiences with? I don't mean to sound like an inquisitor (though I am inquisitive!) I am really just curious how you formed your views on this segment of the hobby. They seem fairly strident to me and I wonder where they are coming from.

Richard, while Brad and I have had our ups and downs lately. He is a stand up guy that says what is on his mind. While I do not agree with him and how he may voice it all the time. I still read what he has to say and add it to the mix. Rest assured, he is a real guy known by many for standing up for what he thinks is right.

Now I guess the next question is.. Who the f am I?

blush.gif

Ze-

That isn't the thread I was talking about. And I clearly know more about restoration than anyone who is deciding to put these books on the Gallery of Misinformation. Let me guess -- you're one of the committee members? You could fill Lake Michigan with what you don't know about restoration.

No wonder the CGC Insemeniation Committee got so much done. hail.gif

What I find funny about this and all threads related is this.

Untill CGC came around restoration was widely accepted and used, pressing, staple replacement, tear seals and other forms of conservation(resto) was used for two main reasons. The first was to save the book from further damage i.e. rusty staple, tear from getting longer, or even cleaning to stop the foxing from eating away pages. The second was to increase eye appeal and percieved value of book. Sure some still wanted untouched books, but many found these practices and I am really commenting on light things really more conservation than restoration to be standard and acceptable.

I think that the real issue is what is industry standard, so if pressing is not considered tampering by the same people who brought to us the Purple label and changed the market place, then shouldn't we accept this? Or should we find a new standard.

We are even seeing a swing back to consevation, more and more labels seem to come back with small tear seal, and blue label. Pressing is ok, so why not staple replacement, and cleaning and tear seals. Really all of these are conservation and are used in every other art form, or historical document protection.

I guess my point is this yes disclosure should be a normal everyday occurance. Should it pretain to pressing, well CGC says no and so do many others. Can I tell if a book is pressed? No!...do I care? No! Do I care if there is color touch or tear seals, or pieces replaced..Yes! So really full disclosure would be easiest, but not always relevant. I say full disclosure with in the market and industry standards, if you don't like them..change them. Ask questions, buy from people you trust, start you own network of disclosure if you arn't happy with current system.

It seems a lot of collecters have taken the purple label and turned it into their own witch hunt. Now that CGC is changing with the market, and let me explain something about business(which by the way CGC is a business), you either go with market or you get left behind. Some are not willing to move with them, yet because of CGC these people exist??? Strange dicotome, don't you think? So if pressing is market standard no need to disclosed, you should but why? Tear seals are still posted on label, or given purple depending on amount and severity, why market standard.....

So really the market determines what is disclosed and what isn't..I am not against full and complete disclosure, just the opposite, but I am also not interested in going against what the market experts say at least on this point as I see it as a non issue. I would like to always have complete info on a book, but if its pressed I wouldn't care one way or the other. Hell, my LCS has been pressing comics for 30 years, oh wait they are just in stacks..is that pressing? I understand the difference, but the result is the same. My two pennies.

Oh and one more thing, I live for the day that I can see a comic with a blue label and a 6.0 with replaced staple and a 1 inch tear seal, next to the same issue that is a blue 6.0 and no conservation and only see a small difference in price of 10 or 20% as opposed to what we see now. With out these little bits of conservation we won't even have some of these books in 50-75 years, at least not without serious damage...