• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC needs to modify its slabs Please comment opinions!

120 posts in this topic

I think a better solution would be for the slabs to be engineered so that the books can be removed safely, but anyone removing them would receive a strong electrical shock. That way, anyone who really really really needs to read the book can do so without harm to the book, but anyone who is only going to try to resub the book pays a small penalty for his actions every time. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

WHO'S WITH ME ON THIS?!?!?!?! yay.gif

You insufficiently_thoughtful_person.....that is ridiculous.... I have never heard of anything so stupid. insane.gif

What would be far more practical would be a hidden ink bomb that explodes all over the comic and the vile slab cracker. Just like the ones used on cash drops.

Whose with me on this one... yay.gifyay.gif

screwy.gif

Thats what I like about this forum. Nothing like a calm discussion to try to make changes that will protect all of our best wishes. People call people names on boards, just like road rage in a vehicle, but the same two people can run across each other in a store, usually without called each other an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or stupid. Believe me I am neither.

Thats what I like about this forum. Nothing like a calm discussion to try to make changes that will protect all of our best wishes. People call people names on boards, just like road rage in a vehicle, but the same two people can run across each other in a store, usually without called each other an insufficiently_thoughtful_person or stupid. Believe me I am neither.
Go back and see how sweet I was. thumbsup2.gif

I think a better solution would be for the slabs to be engineered so that the books can be removed safely, but anyone removing them would receive a strong electrical shock. That way, anyone who really really really needs to read the book can do so without harm to the book, but anyone who is only going to try to resub the book pays a small penalty for his actions every time. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

You insufficiently_thoughtful_person.....that is ridiculous.... I have never heard of anything so stupid. insane.gif

What would be far more practical would be a hidden ink bomb that explodes all over the comic and the vile slab cracker. Just like the ones used on cash drops.

screwy.gif

I like where your head's at on this. thumbsup2.gif If we can keep the ink bomb off the book, I'm all for it. Or maybe use acid instead of ink. It would make the crack-and-resub crowd a lot easier to pick out at a convention so that we could pelt them with rotten eggs and fruit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

screwy.gif

By the way.....I wasn't calling him a name I was actually continuing his sarcastic response to your original post.........

I think the cases should be made with some type of locking system that only CGC can undue. Then, if someone feels they got a low grade, they can simply resend the book in the case for regrading and it can be noted, and the census can be corrected if there is a change. This eliminates any work being done on the book to achieve this higher grade. Also, if one wants to crack the book out, they can send it in to CGC to have them perform this service for them.This seems like something they would consider, beings they would most certainly charge a fee for this service.

I think the cases should be made with some type of locking system that only CGC can undue. Then, if someone feels they got a low grade, they can simply resend the book in the case for regrading and it can be noted, and the census can be corrected if there is a change. This eliminates any work being done on the book to achieve this higher grade. Also, if one wants to crack the book out, they can send it in to CGC to have them perform this service for them.This seems like something they would consider, beings they would most certainly charge a fee for this service.
And they can have all of that info (on who's doing what) safely filed away in their vault where it belongs. smirk.gif

I do realize that someone who wanted to upgrade a book by pressing, can still buy the slab, send it to CGC to have it set free, then do the work and send it back, but atleast this causes them more money, time, effort, and keeps the census honest.

I think that would be both an impractical and impossible thing for CGC to do. No collector is going to permanantly entomb a book. You couldn't do it if you wanted. Let them work on SCS first.

Red

SCS is a huge problem in my opinion. I get very emotional when I see a really high grade book from 60 years ago get damaged from being in a slab. I mean damn, the book made it all that time and here it gets damaged just so people can make more money from it. mad.gif

You mean that it gets damaged when people crack it open and go to trimming pressing color touch need I go on. I just want books, in their original unaltered condition.

Hop in a time machine, set the dial for 1940, and buy as many as you want. You seem to forget all of those things you just listed could happen to a book before it gets slabbed. What's to prevent that?

Shawn

There is no question CGC's standards are going to have to get better. Grade the book once with 100% accuracy

screwy.gif

I like where your head's at on this. thumbsup2.gif If we can keep the ink bomb off the book, I'm all for it. Or maybe use acid instead of ink. It would make the crack-and-resub crowd a lot easier to pick out at a convention so that we could pelt them with rotten eggs and fruit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and then we can turn them all into newts...............

Go back and see how sweet I was. thumbsup2.gif
mica You are always sweet. I don't think their is a mean bone in your body. cloud9.gif

There really isn't any way you can keep trimmers away from all the books. Your only hope is to go buy as many as you can, and then lock them up. People will accuse you of hoarding but you will have PROTECTED a few innocent books in the meantime. confused-smiley-013.gif

I do realize that someone who wanted to upgrade a book by pressing, can still buy the slab, send it to CGC to have it set free, then do the work and send it back, but atleast this causes them more money, time, effort, and keeps the census honest.

Are these slabs made of Adamantium? Anything short of that....and I'm pretty sure I have the tools necessary to crack that puppy. grin.gif

Are these slabs made of Adamantium? Anything short of that....and I'm pretty sure I have the tools necessary to crack that puppy. grin.gif

Perhaps the inside of the slab can be laced with some form of deadly chemical compound. grin.gif

Nope, just solid lead..lol

They could do one of those color squirting security devices perhaps and make it known that to try to break the slab any other way than for them to remove it safely, you will damage the book. I don't know, we sent a man to the moon, I figure something could be worked out. confused-smiley-013.gif

<aside>Unlike the previous posts, these are my genuine CGC want list items...</aside>

I appreciate your candid feedback. I can understand and appreciate that sr. graders need to provide balance in the grading, although it may be an impactical one from a CGC perspective.

I personally think that CGC needs to address some fundamental concerns addressed here. In light of slabbed comic syndrome (SCS)-a clear and present danger to comics in CGC holders, this is a high priority item that should've already been corrected. They did correct it for Moderns, but I find the CGC service impractical if the very service destroys the product it is meant to preserve.

To CGC's credit turn around times (TAT) have improved dramatically, although I don't know if this was due to CGC or due to customer dissatisfaction.

I would like a consistent policy in regards to populating grader's notes, as they are not populated consistently and with relevant information. In addition, I am still awaiting a point in time where members can look up these notes online.

I'd like some communication in regards to future service and product changes. Board members were solicited to provide feedback in regards to proposed changes in recent months by CGC marketing, but we currently don't know where that stands. I understand that I can call (and I do) but CGC needs to publish important information such as this on the boards at appropriate times (or at least pointers to the information on CGC's main site).

I'm keeping the more controversial changes at bay for now.

<aside>Unlike the previous posts, these are my genuine CGC want list items...</aside>

I appreciate your candid feedback. I can understand and appreciate that sr. graders need to provide balance in the grading, although it may be an impactical one from a CGC perspective.

I personally think that CGC needs to address some fundamental concerns addressed here. In light of slabbed comic syndrome (SCS)-a clear and present danger to comics in CGC holders, this is a high priority item that should've already been corrected. They did correct it for Moderns, but I find the CGC service impractical if the very service destroys the product it is meant to preserve.

To CGC's credit turn around times (TAT) have improved dramatically, although I don't know if this was due to CGC or due to customer dissatisfaction.

I would like a consistent policy in regards to populating grader's notes, as they are not populated consistently and with relevant information. In addition, I am still awaiting a point in time where members can look up these notes online.

I'd like some communication in regards to future service and product changes. Board members were solicited to provide feedback in regards to proposed changes in recent months by CGC marketing, but we currently don't know where that stands. I understand that I can call (and I do) but CGC needs to publish important information such as this on the boards at appropriate times (or at least pointers to the information on CGC's main site).

I'm keeping the more controversial changes at bay for now.

Very well said. We certainly have the technology to corect SCS CGC would cease to exist, if it wasn't for us board members. If we don't step up, and take charge, their will be very few GA unrestored books left. If all of the effort that was placed into doug's scandel, was put into resolving the resub problem, we would be well on our way.