• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC needs to modify its slabs Please comment opinions!

120 posts in this topic

I think that would be both an impractical and impossible thing for CGC to do. No collector is going to permanantly entomb a book. You couldn't do it if you wanted. Let them work on SCS first.

Red

SCS is a huge problem in my opinion. I get very emotional when I see a really high grade book from 60 years ago get damaged from being in a slab. I mean damn, the book made it all that time and here it gets damaged just so people can make more money from it. mad.gif

Agreed. The Action #21 CGC 8.0 I have was in the last Hakes' auction. Didn't meet reserve. It was returned to me last week when I visited their offices, and they pointed out to me how the book slides every which way possible!! 893whatthe.gif I'm not talking a little bit of sliding, I'm talking wholesale movement up, down, and side to side!! This is a $3,000+ book. Not happy. tonofbricks.gif

Agreed. The Action #21 CGC 8.0 I have was in the last Hakes' auction. Didn't meet reserve. It was returned to me last week when I visited their offices, and they pointed out to me how the book slides every which way possible!! 893whatthe.gif I'm not talking a little bit of sliding, I'm talking wholesale movement up, down, and side to side!! This is a $3,000+ book. Not happy. tonofbricks.gif

I am guessing it was an old label?

Not sure of the #, but I know CGC created alot more innerwell sizes to seal the books in an attempt to try and size the holder to match the book size much more closely.

Is it perfect?...no way hoe-ssaaayy. But that was one of the improvements I was speaking of in my previous post.

If it is a new label, then I would indeed be pissed.

Ze-

I think that would be both an impractical and impossible thing for CGC to do. No collector is going to permanantly entomb a book. You couldn't do it if you wanted. Let them work on SCS first.

Red

SCS is a huge problem in my opinion. I get very emotional when I see a really high grade book from 60 years ago get damaged from being in a slab. I mean damn, the book made it all that time and here it gets damaged just so people can make more money from it. mad.gif

Only a $200 dollar book, but I assume your reaction was similar to mine when I saw this....

1111avatar.jpgIFSCSA.jpg

Mark. That's why you need to volunteer to help me resolve some of these issues. That 3K book, I am thinking you would be willing to pay an extra $30 for a slab, that will protect it forever. Send me a PM if you would like

Mark. That's why you need to volunteer to help me resolve some of these issues. That 3K book, I am thinking you would be willing to pay an extra $30 for a slab, that will protect it forever. Send me a PM if you would like

foreheadslap.gif

( gossip.gif ya might want to rephrase the word "forever")

I dont mean to ride ya CD. Your concern, and cause IS noble. But did you do a "search the forum" for this topic before you started this thread?

There are 1,000's of posts dedicated to just this topic. This has been discussed to death, many many times. I personally brought up the exact scenario of a SUPER holder that we could pay more for if we wanted better protection.

It was shot down lickity split.

But we have alot of new members, and with that comes new ideas..so you go girl!

Ze-

foreheadslap.gif

( gossip.gif ya might want to rephrase the word "forever")

I dont mean to ride ya CD. Your concern, and cause IS noble. But did you do a "search the forum" for this topic before you started this thread?

There are 1,000's of posts dedicated to just this topic. This has been discussed to death, many many times. I personally brought up the exact scenario of a SUPER holder that we could pay more for if we wanted better protection.

It was shot down lickity split.

Ze-

That was before all of the lates scandels I am willing to donate a lot of time to this. I just need some cooperation. I can make things that seem impossible happen.

Red

Only a $200 dollar book, but I assume your reaction was similar to mine when I saw this....

1111avatar.jpgIFSCSA.jpg

It just needs to find it's potential again. Great candidate for the crack/press/resub. Hmmm, maybe that's the whole idea behind not fixing the SCS problem.

Red

1111avatar.jpgIFSCSA.jpg

It just needs to find it's potential again. Great candidate for the crack/press/resub. Hmmm, maybe that's the whole idea behind not fixing the SCS problem.

Although easily dismissed as conspiracy, I believe that pressing has been CGC's 'fix' for the SCS problem since their inception.

But please...don't quote me on this. gossip.gif

I am guessing it was an old label?

Not sure of the #, but I know CGC created alot more innerwell sizes to seal the books in an attempt to try and size the holder to match the book size much more closely.

Is it perfect?...no way hoe-ssaaayy. But that was one of the improvements I was speaking of in my previous post.

If it is a new label, then I would indeed be pissed.

Ze-

Old label. I will have them reslab it in NYC.

I can't believe they didn't do a scan database. That would have solved a lot of problems. We all need to come up with a list of sugestions for changes in CGC and try to get them to do it.

I missed that one...although I feel it is too cost prohibitive for CGC to implement...implementing a scan policy for selective books (value, keys) may mitigate costs. I believe Steve even said that this technology will be implemented...although I'm not going to hold my breath on this one.

Look guys, this is ridiculous. Don't you think that if CGC had a better holder, they'd use it? screwy.gif I mean, they know that books get damaged with bad shipping. They know that books get destroyed. The whole reason most of these CGC guys do what they do is because they love comics (I believe). cloud9.gif

If they had a better holder, don't you think they'd use it? I've spoken to them about it, and they have spent $$$$ trying to come up with the best holder they could. I think that if one of us came up with a better design we'd be rich because of it. The best way to prevent slab damage right now is to package the book properly. I find bubble wrap around the slab takes up space in the event of an impact and prevents it from reaching the book. I find styrophoam packing peanuts around the slab great because they are light (for shipping costs), allow space for damage to the outer box, but also seem to absorb impact (ie inertia) so that if a box is dropped or banged around, force is not transferred to the book like it would if there was a more solid material around the book like newspaper or even bubblewrap.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roy.

Look guys, this is ridiculous. Don't you think that if CGC had a better holder, they'd use it? screwy.gif I mean, they know that books get damaged with bad shipping. They know that books get destroyed. The whole reason most of these CGC guys do what they do is because they love comics (I believe). cloud9.gif

If they had a better holder, don't you think they'd use it? I've spoken to them about it, and they have spent $$$$ trying to come up with the best holder they could. I think that if one of us came up with a better design we'd be rich because of it. The best way to prevent slab damage right now is to package the book properly. I find bubble wrap around the slab takes up space in the event of an impact and prevents it from reaching the book. I find styrophoam packing peanuts around the slab great because they are light (for shipping costs), allow space for damage to the outer box, but also seem to absorb impact (ie inertia) so that if a box is dropped or banged around, force is not transferred to the book like it would if there was a more solid material around the book like newspaper or even bubblewrap.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roy.

I think PGX's holder is better so they must have spent a ton of money on theirs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roy.

I think PGX's holder is better so they must have spent a ton of money on theirs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brent, CGC also uses this other type of holder when necessary (i've seen it on a few books). I've seen it used WAY back when CGC started and also recently. That said, I also heard (from credible sources) that this type of holder can be damaging to the book as well. Pressure on the cover of the book (but not the inside pages) can cause the interior to separate from the cover in large impact (ie mailman playing football on a Friday night with your JIM #86 CGC 9.6 ) 893whatthe.gif

I have also seen a PGX slabbed BIG DOLLER comic (more than what the JIM #86 hit in the auction....what a sweet book cloud9.gif ) with bad slab damage...worse than anything i have ever seen with CGC books. Pick your poison...these books are delecate... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roy.

Firestone thought they had some pretty good tires too. Point is, there is always room for improvement. I would expect them to recognize problems like SCS and begin to explore new ideas to help prevent it.

I don't believe any company comes up with answer to all answers in their first attempt. Take any object..the computer, automobiles, airplanes, guns, plastics in general and on and on, they are always evolving.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Roy.

Firestone thought they had some pretty good tires too. Point is, there is always room for improvement. I would expect them to recognize problems like SCS and begin to explore new ideas to help prevent it.

I don't believe any company comes up with answer to all answers in their first attempt. Take any object..the computer, automobiles, airplanes, guns, plastics in general and on and on, they are always evolving.

Studies found that in almost every Firestone incident, tire pressure were too low. I would say (and i am in the business) that 90-95 percent of cars come in with tire pressures that probably were not checked since their last service (ie 10-20,000 km ago). This is negligence. Just like not packaging a slabbed book properly. CGC does recognize SCS and like i said, if you can build a better mouse trap sell it to them....