• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

V for Vendetta....what'd you think?

71 posts in this topic

Who is going to "buck the system" in 2008, anyway? It's going to be one "side" or the other, both of whom happen to be working for their own best interests, not those of the American people.

True. That's the same point I made to a friend after the movie. People are complacent until things get so bad that they are stirred into action. That happened in a minor way in 1992, and possibly again in 2008. A regime change, but nothing too radical. Things are going too well for most of American for there to be much of a revolution.

Agreed. The current situation in the U.S. isn't as extreme as the situation presented in Engand in the movie. We don't need a revolution, just a nudge back in the right direction.

It isn't?

I know that most will make easy leaps to seemingly simple conclusions about that seemingly simple question... but it's far more complicated than many will acknowledge and most will be aware of, no?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed. The current situation in the U.S. isn't as extreme as the situation presented in Engand in the movie.

are you sure?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't resist. You people are in some guilt-ridden fantasy-land of an alternate reality. A local medical professional will be glad to assist you.

It isn't?

I know that most will make easy leaps to seemingly simple conclusions about that seemingly simple question... but it's far more complicated than many will acknowledge and most will be aware of, no?

I'd respond, but I'm unwilling to acknowledge that it's complicated, and completely unaware of it. yeahok.gif

I do know one thing for sure. The popcorn was damn good.

Saw this earlier today. Not bad at all, but not great either (and I felt it could have been great in better hands). Parts of the flick I could rename "V For Verbose," and I'll admit to cringing more than a couple of times at the dialogue and storytelling. Other parts, though, are truly inspired and thought-provoking, with the "terrorist" subject matter really making the story relevant to our times.

One big problem, as some critics have pointed out, is that it's really hard to identify with V - and relate to Hugo Weaving as an actor - due to him constantly wearing a mask. I much prefered Natalie, and thought that both Stephen Rhe and Stephen Fry (i think that's his name) brought the most humanity to the film.

I just saw the preview for the first time. I'm not familiar with the character at all, but it looks like it'd be worth seeing.

I imagine we'll get the film here in a couple of weeks, so I'll probably see it then.

A nudge? This country needs a bit more than a nudge. Not saying we need to take out the White House. But some things definitely need to change. The difference from the movie and today? We're not to that point yet and have a chance to ensure it doesn't get there. This will be one that I buy on DVD and watch many times to ensure I don't forget the point.

Pat

Saw it this evening. Utterly entertaining and thought provoking.

My favorite graphic novel is now one of my favorite movies.

Hugo Weaving was incredible as was Natalie Portman.

Can't wait for the DVD!