• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BYRNE, MILLER or MCFARLANE?

FAVOURITE "RUN"?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. FAVOURITE "RUN"?

39 posts in this topic

X-MEN 108-143

thumbsup2.gif

I can't vote because I'm torn between the Byrne and McFarlane. The collector in me says Byrne- his work with Claremont is (in my opinion) the pinnacle of all that is X-Men. It was McFarlane, however, whose art I fell in love with as a kid and propelled Spidey to the front of my collection (next to Batman and X-Men). While Miller did breathe life into DD, I still never got into that character completely. Now... if you were to have suggested Miller's Year One, well, then we'd definitely have a 3 way tie. smile.gif

And regarding the debate from 4 years ago on Ditko and Romita... well, let's just agree that each has his place as part of the foundational pillars upon which all that is good in Spidey-dom rests itself.

Claremont X Men was where my vote went. Fair enough putting the Miller DD's but the Mcfarlane Spideys aren't even comparable sign-rantpost.gif.

A better run to try would have been Stan & Jack's Fantastic Four # 35 - 67. Now that was a comic run that was ground breaking cloud9.gif.

Definitely Miller's DD. Just read it for the 1st time!

A close second is the X-men run. Two of the best runs, IMO, in history.

McFarlane is super far behind. Maybe from an artistic perspective. But not from a reading perspective.

Pat

Never understood what people saw in Mcfarlane's artwork. :sick:

Most people saw how heads of the times he was. His corky style and has amazing detail.

The reason I am into comics is because of his artwork. I was 9 nine years old and just picked up an issue of ASM and thought "wow this is what comics look like!"

After his run its touch for me to actually like anyone else who draws Spdiy!!

Byrne/Clarmont's run was both goundbreaking and in my opinion saved the X-men Franchise, and not to say DD Miller's run didn't accomplish similar status, I just think the stories were more classic.

Even though TMc is my favorite comic artist of all time, his Spidy run was artistically amazing but the stories were not as good as DD or the x-men run.

nuff said!!!