• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what are you reading?

83 posts in this topic

That's very cool. Is it only available online or is it in bookstores? If it's in bookstores, I'll be sure to check it out the next time I go.

It's only going to be in stock in bookstores here in Orange County. But any bookstore can order it. Your local bookstore probably has books from the same series covering towns near you.

Of course, Amazon or B&N.com have it, too.

I'm currently reading "Will Eisner: A Spirited Life" by Bob Andelman. A couple chapters into it - pretty good so far, although I think I've read most of the anecdotes so far about Will previously.

I just finished Harry Turtledove's American Empire series. After I finish the Eisner book, I'll probably jump into one of the many sci-fi/fantasy novels I have piled up that I haven't had a chance to read - Dan Simmons Ilium or the latest Raymond Feist series....

Currently reading the last dozen or so issues of the 1st Marvel run of Captain Marvel. Always wanted to know how Rick and Marv-ell finallly got out the their symbiotic relationship with the Negative Zone.. now I know.

I just finished Voyage to the North Star by Peter Nichols, which had its moments but was in the end disappointing.

Also:

Queen & Country by Greg Rucka

Safe Area Gorazde by Joe Sacca

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

and a couple of old Little Orphan Annie BLBs I just picked up. (Man, I love the smell of old pulp paper)

9392.jpg

Any good? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Excellent. Since he's covering 30 years of history for both Stalin and Hitler it is a little light in places - there have been volumes written on both men, in some cases about a single year - but very well written, and a very good compare and contrast.

I just finished Voyage to the North Star by Peter Nichols, which had its moments but was in the end disappointing.

Also:

and a couple of old Little Orphan Annie BLBs I just picked up. (Man, I love the smell of old pulp paper)

i really enjoyed this. good choice.

thumbsup2.gif

Stevenson starts out slow in all his books. They get better about 300 pages in. I stopped reading Cryptonomicon because I was bored out of my skull, but picked it up on a plane again and read the next 900 pages in 3 days. I just don't have time to read now. confused-smiley-013.gif

Stevenson starts out slow in all his books. They get better about 300 pages in. I stopped reading Cryptonomicon because I was bored out of my skull, but picked it up on a plane again and read the next 900 pages in 3 days. I just don't have time to read now. confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't have the same problem with the Cryptonomicon. The Baroque cycle beginning was way too slow and simply didn't hook me in. Kinda watching Latitude, The Movie. sleeping.gif Maybe I'm missing out. I do hear you about the time factor ...

Also:

i really enjoyed this. good choice.

thumbsup2.gif

Me too. Angel of Darkness was quite good as well. Definitely the pinnacle of the detective/profiler genre. Light years ahead of Patterson and his ilk.

And sitting underneath it is...

8341030.jpg

Tough read, but worth it (sort of). I think Eco himself summed it up pretty accurately himself when he called the first 100 pages a test. A test is right. The long dialogues and paragraph after paragraph about the religious and political climate of the time get pretty tedious.