• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rarest Silver age comic???

53 posts in this topic

Yep.

#3 is the black cover. And guess who has the highest grade (9.0) on that sucker. smirk.gif Unfortunately, it's labeled restored due to a tiny bit of color touch on a corner. But it's part of my collection, so no big whup.

Scottish, I'm shocked you didn't chime in right away 'bout the significance of ish #4? blush.gif Too busy sharpening your grading skee-ills???

Rick

JLA - do you have a high grade 31? That's a black cover and I think I have a copy that has a darn good chance of grading high.

I just looked at the census and I'm guessing you have the 9.2 or the 9.4.

-- Joanna

How about Action 242 in grade? Black (dark purple?) cover makes it very tough. Census is very low for a key(1st Brainiac), 14 total, highest 6.5. Compare that to similar priced key #252.

Check my profile grin.gif This book is at the top of my want list. The purple cover shows all of the flaws. I've been to all of the big conventions on several occasions for the last ten years and have never seen anything over F or F/VF. I did see that the Goblin's Den (in CBG) was selling a NM copy though back in 97 or 98 for $2k!

i've always found high grade early f.f.'s to be very tough,even at today's astronomical bounties.i'm going to try to attach a file of the nicest f.f. # 13 i've found to date( no where near mint ).it sure is a glossy little booger ,though.

GOD BLESS...

-jimbo ( a friend of jesus )

52240-ff13.jpg.3e2af2f85b448223d37551a1dd6c15d7.jpg

I found this thread and thought it might be interesting to bring it back to life. I can think of plenty of books that have been tough for me, in grade or otherwise, but those aren't necessarily rare. I am interested to see what others say...

I'm sure it's nowhere near the "rarest" but one of the hardest SA Marvels for me to find is X-men #2 in 9.0+.

There are a few uber HG copies floating around and a bunch of 8.0ish copies but i almost never see 9.0-9.4 copies available or even posted for that matter.

What about a DC Silver-Age Flash 110 (First Wally West)?

Only 27 on CGC census and highest a 9.2. What would the value be for this book?

Comiclink lists this book as very scarce and under-priced.

Probably because they had one for sale - at well over guide.

;)

What about a DC Silver-Age Flash 110 (First Wally West)?

Only 27 on CGC census and highest a 9.2. What would the value be for this book?

Comiclink lists this book as very scarce and under-priced.

Probably because they had one for sale - at well over guide.

;)

i wish i had picked up a Flash #110 9.2 for over guide 8 years ago when this thread was active

House of Secrets 1 (the Silver Age key that came out right after Showcase 4) is extremely scarce in grade- just 1 in 9.2 and 2 in 7.5. When do you see this book come up for sale- take a look and see how many were sold on Heritage Comics. The last one that went for sale was a beautiful 7.5 on the Link for a grand.

This would be virtually impossible to determine....unless we have a technological advancement that allows a direct feed to the collective unconscious. Most SA books only seem scarce . If we could omnisciently become aware of ALL remaining SA comic books, I would say a good candidate will be some random, mid run copy of an obscure Teen, Romance, Western, or Funny Animal title. It almost certainly will not be a Marvel title....probably a Charlton. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree with jimbo, though I would expect that the rarest would be found amongst the alternative/underground comics...

That's unfair, I know :) Some of them are probably one-offs.

If we exclude undergrounds, the answer is probably a Charlton Romance.

Amongst DCs, I'd guess the rarest is....I'm gonna go with Buzzy #72...or Mr. District Attorney #63.

I'm tempted to say Charlie Chan #6, but it just ain't true. Also, World's Finest's are super rare, but not after about #75, which is still fairly pre-Silver Age. The 60's are silly rare, but not SA.

Marvel?

Probably Wyatt Earp #21.

Maybe Millie #78.