• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How times have changed!

28 posts in this topic

Maybe, but I also remember exploring the woods near my house with friends, playing pickup baseball and football, looking for "treasure" on fall cleanup days, and just running around on weekend nights. With all the stuff kids have these days to keep them indoors and staring at a screen, are they really better off. I know I wouldn't trade any of those memories for ones where I watched DVDs or played X-Box. confused-smiley-013.gif

That really wasn't what I meant. I just took mine sledding this morning, and then to piano lessons, then we went out and tossed snowballs at the trees and each other. Great day overall, and we spent very little time in the house.

I simply meant that when we spent time inside, or on rainy days, we read comics, but today kids have access to things we only dreamed about. When I was a kid, I would have loved to come inside after a long day of playing, and having an entire Disney movie collection sitting on the shelf, waiting for me.

Having kids, I agree completely with your statement. The things todays kids have available to them, I would have loved to have growing up.

Maybe, but I also remember exploring the woods near my house with friends, playing pickup baseball and football, looking for "treasure" on fall cleanup days, and just running around on weekend nights. With all the stuff kids have these days to keep them indoors and staring at a screen, are they really better off. I know I wouldn't trade any of those memories for ones where I watched DVDs or played X-Box. confused-smiley-013.gif

Holy cow! Are you sure we didn't grow up together? 27_laughing.gif From exploring the woods near my house to playing pickup football and basketball, I know exactly what you mean.

Did you ever play Hot Box? Just got me thinking about the good ol days.

Having kids, I agree completely with your statement. The things todays kids have available to them, I would have loved to have growing up.

Holy cow! Are you sure we didn't grow up together? 27_laughing.gif From exploring the woods near my house to playing pickup football and basketball, I know exactly what you mean.

Did you ever play Hot Box? Just got me thinking about the good ol days.

Nope, but I played Ultimate in college. Aren't they close to the same thing?

That really wasn't what I meant. I just took mine sledding this morning, and then to piano lessons, then we went out and tossed snowballs at the trees and each other. Great day overall, and we spent very little time in the house.

I simply meant that when we spent time inside, or on rainy days, we read comics, but today kids have access to things we only dreamed about. When I was a kid, I would have loved to come inside after a long day of playing, and having an entire Disney movie collection sitting on the shelf, waiting for me.

Yep, that's true. The thing is though, kids don't restrict their gaming or DVD watching to rainy days anymore. There is one group by my house that plays football EVERY day, but other than that I never see kids outside. I mean never. I would love to have grown up with ton of awesome video games (though there is no dissing NES), I just meant that at this point there seems to be too much of a good thing. I think it's great you take your kid out, but there are a ton of parents who just plop theirs in front of a screen most of the time instead of kicking them out of the house to play with the other neighborhood kids. I just think that's a shame. I guess that's an unfortunate (but inevitable) byproduct of all the fancy electronics that are readily available.

I think I most excited about this post that you were watching Spidey and his Amazing Friends. The highlight cartoon of my youth. I would love a whole run of these on DVD's. Has this stuff been released or are they boots (legs)? I own 2 of the licensed VHS tapes that they relesed in the early 90's. Both have 1 episode each and my 5 year old girl loves Firestar. The first tape has the Amazing Friends vs the Beetle and the second tape shows Ice Man and Firestar attending an X-Men reunion. Unlike most cartoons and sitcoms from my youth, I still find these episodes being watchable.

As for children and comics, my nine year old has recently taken an interest in them and has been reading some of my TPB's. He truly loves the Death of Gwen saga. Anyways I guess he did some research on Marvel.com and asked me if I could go buy him a new Avengers comic (as Wolvie and Spidey are now members). No problem, we rush out to a LCS and I happily paid the $3.00. Well he hated it, I read it after and I could see why. As much as I want him to read and enjoy something I love, I don't know if he would save up his allowance and spend $3.00 a book on his own and I would definitely think twice before letting him try another title that doesn't appeal to me as well.

Jim

Has this stuff been released or are they boots (legs)?

I have seen them being sold on eBay from time to time...dont remember if they were bootlegs or not.