• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC VS PGX GRADED COMICS. WHICH IS BETTER?

95 posts in this topic

Wait, you are putting your faith in the company that allowed, who knows how many, trimmed books to pass as unrestored, costing collectors potentially thousands, but can't validate one because you might get a bronze or modern age book that has been pressed. Also, I don't think CGC even cares about pressing. I recall reading an enterview with Borock a stating this. I can't quote him exactly. I will have to try to find the enterview.

Where did I say that? I don't remember stating anything about pressing being the reason why I'd chooses CGC. I'm afraid that you are mixing and matching my posts about RJ and the one why I'd pick CGC. Neither company apparently has a problem with pressing (which I don't agree with), and that makes it a non-issue for making a choice between the two.

First, I'm not thrilled about the trimming that CGC has missed with the Ewart books. Having said that, I'm not confident that PGX would have caught it either had Ewart utilized their service for his books. Who is their resto check person?

My point was that there are 110 CGC 9.9s right now on eBay compared to 155 PGX 9.9s and 128 of them are being offered by one seller. This has a funny feel to it in my opinion, especially when there is an overwhelming amount of CGC books that have been graded compared to PGX.

Did he tell you he presses books? What does he do?

Does he really send his moderns out to get pressed?

Yes, he has told me he presses books and has offered me the service. I don't know about his modern books. I am led to believe he does this either himself or in house rather than sending them out somewhere.

From a recent e-mail, he has indicated that he recommends Patrick Whitson of A1-comics if you have PRESSING needs. He no longer offers the service. Again, it's best to check with the dealer.

Considering that he did offer the service to me the last time I talked with him and that he hasn't taken his prep service off his site, I assumed he still does this work. If he had taken this off his site, I could see asking if he still does it or offers it.

Yes, he has told me he presses books and has offered me the service. I don't know about his modern books. I am led to believe he does this either himself or in house rather than sending them out somewhere.

From a recent e-mail, he has indicated that he recommends Patrick Whitson of A1-comics if you have PRESSING needs. He no longer offers the service. Again, it's best to check with the dealer.

Considering that he did offer the service to me the last time I talked with him and that he hasn't taken his prep service off his site, I assumed he still does this work. If he had taken this off his site, I could see asking if he still does it or offers it.

How long ago was that?

Jim

Reynold Jay - for people who have bought his raw " time capsule " books im curious as to what you thought of his grading.

I know he knows how to grade, otherwise his grades back from CGC would reflect that. That said, I've purchased one of his capsules, but wasn't happy. He returned it no questions asked and even returned shipping charges. As with all dealers, ask for a large scan and save yourself both headaches about a potential return. Of course, your mileage may vary. If you haven't purchased from him I do give him two thumbs up. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

One of the things that distinguish RJ from others is that he will actually work to build your collection, including send them to CGC at a minimum grade you specifiy. Call it collecting for lazy people. It's nice and he doesn't charge extra for it. Obviously, he specializes in early moderns, so don't call him up and ask him to help with GA and SA runs. In fact, he's helping me build my Jonah Hex collection...

My take on his time capsules is that if they actually were of the quality of a 9.8, then he'd already have had them submitted to CGC or PGX. RJ is no fool when it comes to spotting these.

While he does offer the service to build your collection, it does come at a cost. You can say he doesn't charge extra for it, but at his prices who would need to. I've tried working with him on several collections, but it hasn't worked out very well.

My business with him has been a mixed bag. At this point, I wouldn't put much faith or stock in his "Special Order" offers. I've lost out on that big time recently.

How long ago was that?

Jim

It's been a little while. I'd say a year and a half to two years ago. I just figured he still ran the same operation since the same service that was under is still on his site.

It was at this time that he explained to me how "pressing" wasn't resto and he had assurances from CGC that it was ok. The way he explained it was like he helped convince the CGC folks that it should'nt be considered resto. That's pretty scary in hindsight now. Back then, I was just a newbie making the switch to slabs and it didn't even register like it does now.

It's been a little while. I'd say a year and a half to two years ago. I just figured he still ran the same operation since the same service that was under is still on his site.

Year and a half ago...he sent out the message indicating he didn't do the "prep service" about 6+ months ago. My info trumps yours. You can always contact the dealer to get the real deal.

While he does offer the service to build your collection, it does come at a cost. You can say he doesn't charge extra for it, but at his prices who would need to. I've tried working with him on several collections, but it hasn't worked out very well.

One word: negotiation.

Year and a half ago...he sent out the message indicating he didn't do the "prep service" about 6+ months ago. My info trumps yours. You can always contact the dealer to get the real deal.

That's fine but once again, why would I contact him? First, I'm not interested in this type of service. Second, like I said he was offering it last I had heard. And third, it's still a service advertised on his web-site. He should think about taking that off his site if he doesn't offer it anymore. (He didn't send me the message, but I will take your word for it that he doesn't offer it anymore).

It's really not an issue between CGC VS PGX.

One word: negotation.

We'll see. I just emailed him about a few things. If anything worthwhile is related back to me, I'll let you know.

One word: negotation.

We'll see. I just emailed him about a few things. If anything worthwhile is related back to me, I'll let you know.

Well that pretty much guarantees he won't...

Jim

CGC -vs- PGX

Both have good and bad points. I am just suprised at the number of people who blindly hate or follow either company. Hopefully people trying to gain insight by reading these boards or posting questions can tell the difference. Remember, both are in business to make money. Both will take a corporate stance when confronted with a negative issue.

Unfortunately, there are always bad apples and crooks that can infiltrate or take advantage of any company at all different levels no matter what the security measures are.

Reynold Jay - for people who have bought his raw " time capsule " books im curious as to what you thought of his grading.

I bought one of his "Time capsule" books. An HOS 110. He said it was NM, He wasn't too far off. I thought it was a 9.2. I was hoping he could help me put together a run of Army of Darkness (DH) in CGC 9.8, but he was only able to get me the first issue. Those are the only dealings with him I've had so far.

That's fine but once again, why would I contact him?

You seemed interested since you were asking all of these probing questions. All I'm suggesting is that if you are asking in the interest in getting correct answers, as opposed to asking for the sake of asking, then I kindly defer you to the dealer in question instead of listening to possible wrong or out-dated information here. thumbsup2.gif

Good luck.

Both have good and bad points. I am just suprised at the number of people who blindly hate or follow either company. Hopefully people trying to gain insight by reading these boards or posting questions can tell the difference. Remember, both are in business to make money. Both will take a corporate stance when confronted with a negative issue.

Unfortunately, there are always bad apples and crooks that can infiltrate or take advantage of any company at all different levels no matter what the security measures are.

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Well said.

As of late, I fear that the appropriate question should not be, "What company is better?, " rather it should be, "What company is less worse?" It is a real battle of attrition. frown.gif

Too bad my college classes in marketing and PR are years behind me... one could author a great term paper on PR faux pas, communications bumbling and brand mismanagement using these two companies alone.

I hate seeing PGX referred to as "them". I've never seen any concrete proof than PGX is anything but Daniel Patterson in his garage. That's a minus for me. I want to know who's on the grading team.

Red

I hate seeing PGX referred to as "them". I've never seen any concrete proof than PGX is anything but Daniel Patterson in his garage. That's a minus for me. I want to know who's on the grading team.

Red

That's exactly the way I feel about PGX....a guy sitting on his toilet seat grading a comic! 27_laughing.gif

Just for reference.

"PGX" search on ebay yields 1142 items

"CGC search on ebay yields 32730 items

I would say that about answers it for me.

I'm sure there are a lot more CGC graded comics for sale on eBay...BUT...speaking of skewed statistics: How many of the auctions in your search popped up because they said something like "CGC ready" or "CGC candidate"...etc, etc... yeahok.gif

And of course it doesn't help that PGX has changed their name 3 times so you might have to search for PGX, CGG, PGA...NBA, CBS, ESPN.... insane.gif

But a VF comic is a VF comic, regardless of whose slab it's in. I have seen no evidence that PGX calls VG comics "VF", as I have with some eBay dealers. I don't own any PGX comics right now, but would not rule out a purchase for a deal on an otherwise higher-priced CGC graded book. Assuming the price break allowed for a 0.5 grade discrepancy.

But a VF comic is a VF comic, regardless of whose slab it's in. I have seen no evidence that PGX calls VG comics "VF", as I have with some eBay dealers. I don't own any PGX comics right now, but would not rule out a purchase for a deal on an otherwise higher-priced CGC graded book. Assuming the price break allowed for a 0.5 grade discrepancy.

On that same note though, I, or many of us here, could grade accurately enough to distinguish a VG and a VF book.

What concerns me most is PGX and their 9.9 grades. The fact that nearly all have been awarded to one seller and the fact that although grading less books, there seem to be more PGX 9.9s out in the marketplace.

I wouldn't want to pay ultra-premiums for a PGX 9.9 book that could turn out to be a CGC 9.8 book.