• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Keys

104 posts in this topic

I think 10 is the biggest key from the first series. More so than 1.

#10 is an over-valued piece of garbage sumo.gif (and for that reason it's one of the few issues I'm missing from the series. frustrated.gif )

Speaking of Wolverine can someone tell me the deal with #90. It has that awesome wrap-around cover of Wolvie Vs Sabertooth. I remember the last panel had Logan with his claws going through Sabertooth's head in the last panel. What happened next?

The Age of Apocalypse.

But after that, Sabretooth spent a period of time recovering from the brain damage inflicted by Wolverine. He was very docile and lived in a special environment set up for him by the X-Men. He eventually recovered fully and became a member of X-Factor (against his will) until he was able to escape his special restraints.

#10 is an over-valued piece of garbage sumo.gif (and for that reason it's one of the few issues I'm missing from the series. frustrated.gif )

Speaking of Wolverine can someone tell me the deal with #90. It has that awesome wrap-around cover of Wolvie Vs Sabertooth. I remember the last panel had Logan with his claws going through Sabertooth's head in the last panel. What happened next?

The Age of Apocalypse.

But after that, Sabretooth spent a period of time recovering from the brain damage inflicted by Wolverine. He was very docile and lived in a special environment set up for him by the X-Men. He eventually recovered fully and became a member of X-Factor (against his will) until he was able to escape his special restraints.

Thanks Lazy! thumbsup2.gif

The Age of Apocalypse.

sounds like a good story.

#21 was a fantastic read.....er....look. I havent had a chance to read the new stuff. I have the first 5 or 6 of them but Ill probably buy the whole set and read them all at once. I hate waiting for monthly books.

issue 3. But there are like a quadrillion copies for some reason. Yeah, I know, there are tons of most copper comics. My LCS has about 10 of 'em in the dollar bin right now...I bought 3 sorry.gif

Theres tons of those. I bought a 9.8 for $25 a few years ago. If you could find a 9.9 or 10 you might have something.

. k, so MM #15 is not a key. That is why I started this thread since the Copper Age is still defining itself in some aspects.

IMO, there is no doubt that MM #15 is key. Print run is not what makes this comic so sought after. Many of the late MM issues are as scarcer than MM #15 so print run is only a small part of the equation. This book is a landmark for it's content. In many ways this was the culmination of Moore's revisionist view of superheroes. This ultra violent issue depicts shear chaos and destruction never before seen in comics.

It's tough to go into all the details here because there is really so much to the Miracleman saga leading into this issue, but many who have read the series will agree that this story is the climax of Moore's work on the series.

. k, so MM #15 is not a key. That is why I started this thread since the Copper Age is still defining itself in some aspects.

IMO, there is no doubt that MM #15 is key. Print run is not what makes this comic so sought after. Many of the late MM issues are as scarcer than MM #15 so print run is only a small part of the equation. This book is a landmark for it's content. In many ways this was the culmination of Moore's revisionist view of superheroes. This ultra violent issue depicts shear chaos and destruction never before seen in comics.

It's tough to go into all the details here because there is really so much to the Miracleman saga leading into this issue, but many who have read the series will agree that this story is the climax of Moore's work on the series.

Yes, however, the combination of the scarcity of the book in its original pamphlet form and the lack of TPB/reprinted editions will forever keep this from being a "key" book as not enough people will be aware of the greatness of the story.

Seems a bit contrary to the common wisdom regarding reprints and TPB editions, but I think this is a "special" case.

Just posing a question:

Is the Copper Age changing how we define or look at Key issues?

I really think so. I believe the keys from this age will be much more storyline based (i.e. Moore's Swampthing run, MM#15, DKR. etc.) as there wasn't a dearth of maor first appearances from this era. This period saw comics gain some ground in the literary world, and I think these issues will be looked upon with high regard.

Would Avengers Annual #10 (1st Rogue) be too early for consideration? It was pubbed in 1981, so that may still be late Bronze depending on where the cut off it. Regardless, this issue is probably a key.

I thought it was important enough to spend the extra money to get a 9.6 copy. So it has my vote for key. I can't believe I forgot about this one in my earlier posting. sumo.gif

Would Avengers Annual #10 (1st Rogue) be too early for consideration? It was pubbed in 1981, so that may still be late Bronze depending on where the cut off it. Regardless, this issue is probably a key.

I thought it was important enough to spend the extra money to get a 9.6 copy. So it has my vote for key. I can't believe I forgot about this one in my earlier posting. sumo.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I LOVE this book. It had a pretty big print run (but that's like most 80s stuff), but I could really see this book moving in the future. Rogue is pretty much a core X-character now, and pretty popular with guys and girls as well.

Yeah, that is what I figured. She is big in the comics and featured in the movies. Sure, her 1st app. may be over valued but she important. Either way, I got my 9.6 for dirt cheap.

Just posing a question:

Is the Copper Age changing how we define or look at Key issues?

i should think so. this is not an exhaustive list, by any means, but the traditional Key designation went to;

first issues;

the introduction/death of an important character/villain;

important/classic/eponymous cover;

amazing (and short) story arcs

with the Copper Age, many of the important books had already been fairly well established. I mean, all the great Marvel & DC titles had at that point been around for 10-20 years. combine this with a glut of new titles on the marketplace, very many of them boring or destined for failure (New Universe!) and we see a lowering of important number ones being considered true "keys." I mean, New Teen Titans 1 isn't a key, but 2 is. which leads us into...

a similar circumstance addresses the second item; look at the list of Most Important Copper Age character...it's a pretty short list. i mean, really, any "most important character" list that has John Constantine towards the top is a pretty chrappy list. no offense to JC fans. i think the dearth of great characters being intro'ed in the Copper Age helps shift the definition of "key issue" even further.

important covers...well, again, the CA is full of great covers, but few if any would be so great as to fall into "key" status. there's that Wonder Woman ish (89, maybe?) and a few others. a list of "key covers" from the CA would be even shorter than "French War Heroes, 1938-1945."

the Story Arcs is the one trait that i think translates well into the Copper Age. a good story is a good story, regardless of Age. it also tends to incorporate some of the other Key Features, such as intro'ing a character or artist, sometimes both at the same time.

so, my longish answer is "yes"

Yes, however, the combination of the scarcity of the book in its original pamphlet form and the lack of TPB/reprinted editions will forever keep this from being a "key" book as not enough people will be aware of the greatness of the story.

Seems a bit contrary to the common wisdom regarding reprints and TPB editions, but I think this is a "special" case.

I am in total agreement with both the above quotes. #15 is THE key of the best run of the Copper Age.

And, with the cost of buying just a "reader set" of the series, alot of people will stay away from the back issues. Release the trades, people love it, they may seek out the books. (I've done that with quite a few more recent series).

funny one of the biggest copper age keys was amazing spider-man 238 and that was the first marvel i ever remember buying off the newsstand with my own money!(dad used to buy me comics every sunday morning when i was just a lad!) what a great read 238 was and being as i was new at the time to the marvel universe i had no idea who the hobgoblin was!