• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone with any exp. with comickeys?

217 posts in this topic

I purchased an Avengers #1 in VF/NM on September 18th, 2002 for $3805.55. I sent it express to CGC through Paradise comics, and it came back restored. I emailed Hammer about it, and he instructed me to send it back to him asap for a replacement copy in even nicer condition. As promised, I got a nicer looking copy. I sent it to CGC again, and it came back restored.

What a CO-INKY-DINK!!!

I'm stunned. Simply stunned. TWO restored books in a row that were BOTH represented as being UNRESTORED.

Of course, this is just a drop in the bucket. The French need MORE proof that Surgeon Richard sells restored books as being unrestored.

Hammer refunded my money, so I don't feel cheated.

Actually, you WERE cheated. Just because a thief returns what he stole doesn't mean you weren't robbed.

I simply don't see what he would have had to gain from sending me a second copy he knew was restored, when he knew I would send it to CGC via walkthu.

Because he's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person?

I'm stunned. Simply stunned. TWO restored books in a row that were BOTH represented as being UNRESTORED.

I'm stunned that there is finally CONCRETE EVIDENCE to support your claim. I'm less stunned that you had absolutely nothing to do with it coming out.

And AK, you are far more patient than I would have been. wink.gif

John gave me the page where it was first mentioned and I have it on my wall, next to my computer.

It's a shame she wasn't first mentioned in an X-Men story circa 1977... on a splash page... tongue.gif

Nah, it's a good thing. Because if I had that hanging on my wall, I'd just want to sell it because it would be worth a lot of bucks. And I don't want to sell the stuff John game me.

Actually, you WERE cheated. Just because a thief returns what he stole doesn't mean you weren't robbed.

I don't consider this being robbed. I placed the $3800 bid on my own reconiscance, and assumed the risk. I placed the bid with the knowledge that he would refund my money if the book was not as claimed. He did.

To me, being robbed would have been him taking the money and running, ignoring my emails, or not honoring the return etc.....

don't consider this being robbed. I placed the $3800 bid on my own reconiscance, and assumed the risk. I placed the bid with the knowledge that he would refund my money if the book was not as claimed. He did.

Maybe I missed this part... but did he also reimburse you for what you had to spend on the two CGC submittals?

don't consider this being robbed. I placed the $3800 bid on my own reconiscance, and assumed the risk. I placed the bid with the knowledge that he would refund my money if the book was not as claimed. He did.

Maybe I missed this part... but did he also reimburse you for what you had to spend on the two CGC submittals?

In non-specific terms, he offered to make it up to me on a future slabbed purchase, although I have not taken him up on the matter. It was my choice to slab the books. I purchased the book, I took the risk, I chose to send it to CGC, and I will accept that responsibility since I cannot prove either way, whether he was or was not aware of the resto. I haven't been in this hobby long, and don't have industry contacts to call, or consult, so to me it's all just hearsay. Despite the dissapointment of not getting a nice Avengers #1, I do not let emotions fog rational judgement.

Whatever happened to the "story" of some lawyer bringing up a lawsuit against him? I believe this was mentioned in the original thread and that was almost a year ago?

Wasn't that the guy stealing scans, ticking everyone off, and at the end, even his "friend" FF tossed him aside?

You mean Procrustean. He was an acquaintance I had been chatting with because he got ripped off by the only guy who's given me negative feedback; he sent me e-bay mail because in my feedback I wrote that the guy was serially restoring books. Procrustean wasn't suing comic-keys, he was filing a criminal complaint against this guy who sent him a mid grade X-Men 94 shoved into a broken-open CGC case with a CGC 9.4 label photocopied from a real label. I didn't exactly toss him aside, although he did act like a bit of an arse here when he was ripping on the guy he stole an auction scan from.

He e-mailed me a few months after he dropped off of here and told me the guy who ripped him off got arrested late last year.

I don't consider this being robbed. I placed the $3800 bid on my own reconiscance, and assumed the risk. I placed the bid with the knowledge that he would refund my money if the book was not as claimed. He did.

To me, being robbed would have been him taking the money and running, ignoring my emails, or not honoring the return etc.....

Hey AndrewKnight

I know everyone will be asking this, but did you get the CGC grading fees reimbursed? The walkthru service prices can be pretty steep...

Three things that I have observed that lead me to believe that there are a lot of people angry with comic-keys (and its not just from reading this post):

1) a few years back, I bought a book on ebay and sent it in to get graded. A few weeks after my submission, I recieved a call from the dealer who sent the book on my behalf asking me if I bought from comic-keys. That was my first run-in with the name, but I didn't buy the book from comic-keys, and it came back a purple label. This leads me to believe that the guys over at CGC are keeping an eye on purple label books, and probably have a better idea than we do about the number of books that are purchased from comic-keys, and are returning with a restored grade to buyers.

2) I was at a comic convention not too long ago and as I passed-by the CGC booth, I heard one of the CGC guys ripping a new one into a guy who had inquired about comic-keys. I don't know who the guy is exactly, but he had long hair and a pony-tail.

3) I happened to walk into a store recently when a gentleman (in his late 50's) was inquiring about a book he bought on ebay. If my memory serves me correct, it was Green Lantern 1. The store owner told him the book was restored, and when asked where he bought the book from, I overhead the gentleman mention he bought the book from comic-keys on ebay.

Again, these are things I have observed which lead me to believe there are a lot of people who are angry at comic-keys. I have never dealt with comic-keys, and quite frankly, most of the books he sells are beyond my reach. But reading what I have on these boards, and with my own observations, I would not be willing to take a risk like AndrewKnight has in dealing with him.

I don't know who the guy is exactly, but he had long hair and a pony-tail.

Sounds like Haspel incognito.

it wasn't me, im not an employee of CGC...sborock sighs heavily in relief 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gifstooges.gifgoodevil.gifacclaim.gif

His bidding habits are very curious, aren't they? (The white trash toilet seat, not withstanding.)

He likes bidding on books that are prime candidates for - GASP - restoration.

I guess that's just another co-inky-dink.

OUCH!

I just got poked by another coincidence. Everywhere I go, I bump into one.

Right...but what about the 9 other collectors who are not as savvy as you are? If a restored comic book tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it fall...does it make an unrestored sound? huh...does that make sense? 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifsumo.gif

Does he have pictures of some of you guys you don't want people to see?

He has a photo of me in a restaraunt in Nice with my girlfriend. I have managed to convince the board members she was actually a fancy dessert but Ham figured it out and now has me cornered like a 2 legged rat.

Me and Sally

Correct me if I'm wrong Pov........but that dessert looks more like a boyfriend. 893whatthe.gif

Does he have pictures of some of you guys you don't want people to see?

He has a photo of me in a restaraunt in Nice with my girlfriend. I have managed to convince the board members she was actually a fancy dessert but Ham figured it out and now has me cornered like a 2 legged rat.

Me and Sally

Correct me if I'm wrong Pov........but that dessert looks more like a boyfriend. 893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif but 893offtopic1.gifmakepoint.gif

...and if comic-keys is Dupcak, he's had well over a decade of experience at it. Dupcak was banned from advertising in Overstreet and CBG around 1991-1992 and served time for collectibles fraud in the mid-90s.

Wanna' know what a witch hunt feel like?

...and if fantastic_four is Dupcak, he's had well over a decade of experience at it. Dupcak was banned from advertising in Overstreet and CBG around 1991-1992 and served time for collectibles fraud in the mid-90s.

What in God's name are you eating there? I can only begin to guess and none of it is good

If I say "Sally" my post will be banned! grin.gif

Seriously - it was a brandied pear with vanilla ice cream made at the restaraunt. That tower is actually a caramalized sugar cone. Honestly - it was astonishing.

...and if comic-keys is Dupcak, he's had well over a decade of experience at it. Dupcak was banned from advertising in Overstreet and CBG around 1991-1992 and served time for collectibles fraud in the mid-90s.

Wanna' know what a witch hunt feel like?

...and if fantastic_four is Dupcak, he's had well over a decade of experience at it. Dupcak was banned from advertising in Overstreet and CBG around 1991-1992 and served time for collectibles fraud in the mid-90s.

let me just say this, if fantastic_four was daniel dupack, then im a friggin hermaphrodite! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifgoodevil.gifsumo.gifstooges.gifacclaim.gifflamed.gif893blahblah.gif