• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

your oldest comic...

89 posts in this topic

Ironically, I just picked it up today.

My first Tales From the Crypt.

I love my Bronze Horror, but this stuff is cloud9.gif

1134791-crypt46.jpg

Probably my all-time favorite -c period.

One of my favorites, too. Excellent colors, and nice horror theme without being gross.

This one is my oldest...August 1942:

Whiz33.jpg

...though with it being beaten and missing it's back cover crazy.gif, it sort of doesn't count (GREAT read though!).

This is one of my favorite books I own and is the second oldest...March 1943:

Wow11Front.jpg

Extremely solid book...looks much better than the scan gives it credit for. Once again, GREAT read.

Then definitely contact Bob Beerbohm b/c he has many beauties for sale. Of course, he knows the value so you end up paying for them. E-bay is not bad for Platinum b/c most people don't realize the value/significance. Personally, I think these books are undervalued and will only go up as people realize the historical significance, not to mention the rarity/scarcity.

Don't get me started. Of course Bob Beerbohm "knows the value" of Platinum Age books, because he's writing the price guide for them. Personally, I believe Platinum Age books are, outside of a very select few (Yellow Kid 1 and any Disney book) are wildly overvalued in the Guide, because there's very little demand for them.

There's a reason why they go cheap on eBay. Sure, the supply can be teeny-tiny, but nobody wants them, mainly because they haven't been collected for years and years and years. People who remember these books fondly are all dead.

And don't get me started on the "Victorian Age". Please.

sign-rantpost.gif

Then definitely contact Bob Beerbohm b/c he has many beauties for sale. Of course, he knows the value so you end up paying for them. E-bay is not bad for Platinum b/c most people don't realize the value/significance. Personally, I think these books are undervalued and will only go up as people realize the historical significance, not to mention the rarity/scarcity.

Don't get me started. Of course Bob Beerbohm "knows the value" of Platinum Age books, because he's writing the price guide for them. Personally, I believe Platinum Age books are, outside of a very select few (Yellow Kid 1 and any Disney book) are wildly overvalued in the Guide, because there's very little demand for them.

There's a reason why they go cheap on eBay. Sure, the supply can be teeny-tiny, but nobody wants them, mainly because they haven't been collected for years and years and years. People who remember these books fondly are all dead.

Good, less competition for me to buy them!!!

One word. Resurgence!

sign-rantpost.gif

Mutt and Jeff Book 2 - 1911

7Y249873.gif

Tom,

Those are just awesome - thanks for sharing . . . 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

-David

I do want to be clear that I think the Platinum Age stuff is very cool and interesting, and I'm not running down anything people want to buy. I'd love to get some Outcault stuff, and I'd really like some Little Nemo stuff. That being said, I think they are highly overpriced in the Overstreet.

Can you back up that statement about lack of demand with figures?

Are you on the Platinum Age yahoo group?

As far as I can tell, when one of the scarce Platinum or earlier books comes up on ebay, they're all over them like flies on stuff.

These books are genuinely scarce, not the artifical "scarcity" of Silver Age and later books. High grade be damned, these people are looking for any copy that won't turn to dust in their hands.

Does that really matter? Do you really think that the Golden Age collectors in this group are all over 65 years old and read Golden Age books in their youth? I doubt that.

I think there's a little bit of "I'm not very interested in them, so they must not be very interesting" in your arguments (and I've already read your later clarifying message).

Full disclosure -- I'm not a Platinum collector. I only have a few books that I picked up opportunistically, and in fact I traded one to Bob Beerbohm for much newer merchandise because I knew I didn't have a prayer of building up anything close to a reasonable Platinum collection. I'm still fascinated by the field though.

Jack

Mutt and Jeff Book 2 - 1911

7Y249873.gif

Tom,

Those are just awesome - thanks for sharing . . . 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

-David

Thanks, I really love the old ones. My scanner made them look worse than they really are, especially the Mutt and Jeff Book 2. It is in oversized comic bag that I had to wrap around twice and tape it.

I am one of the few Platinum age and earlier collectors here and I can say , with all due respect, that FlyingDonut is totally wrong. There is always a market for all collectibles and even though he may find no zealous interest or value in it - there is always someone who treasures it. There are may people who think there is no market for comics at all and cannot fathom anyone spending thousands if not millions for a "couple pieces of paper and some ink." Whether it is the loathsome Beanie Babies, baseball cards, or Pez dispensers - there is a market for it. In my opinion, the Platinum market and earlier is way undervalued and will continue to grow in value at a steady if not measured pace. It will never over take the Golden Age and beyond but it will garner interest from collectors like myself who appreciate the history they contain. Bottom line, different strokes for different folks.

If anybody has any interest, the disputed first true comic book is on eBay right now.

The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck

FD - if the market for these old books are overvalued - could you explain why this is already at 2 to 4 times guide and the reserve is not met?