• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinko's won't scan my OA anymore

27 posts in this topic

I brought a batch in to have it scanned and they agreed to do this job, but they said they won't ever scan OA again because of copyright issues. Have any of you ever faced this before? What other options would you use?

screwy.gif

I brought a batch in to have it scanned and they agreed to do this job, but they said they won't ever scan OA again because of copyright issues. Have any of you ever faced this before? What other options would you use?

screwy.gif

Tell them you produced the art yourself. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

screwy.gif

I thought of that, except that Marvel stamped the back of each sheet with a copyright.

screwy.gif

I thought of that, except that Marvel stamped the back of each sheet with a copyright.

I had this problem several years ago at 3 different places! I gave up and haven't tried since.

screwy.gif

I may have an answer for you. Could you do the scanning without having any one at Kinko's helping you??

If not just ask how it can be done but not what is being scanned. Same thing happened when I asked to

scan a CGC'ed comic, they said the same thing about copyright 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif, went back a week

later and did it without asking or telling them what I needed. From their point-of-view, it's about

OWNERSHIP. Hope this helps 893crossfingers-thumb.gif..... hi.gif

I had the problem getting the cover to Fantastic Comics #3 on my business cards. I finally found a solution that worked at one Kinko's but not another. Tell them it is public Domain. Theoretically this was a little more viable on a 65+ year old company that has been out of business since WW2. I don't know if it is as "truthful" (ie. believeable) on a Marvel or DC piece. But really If your not trying to make money and just trying to show the piece on CAF or similar who cares. Give it a try. Be very assertive and act like you know exactly what your talking about, It adds to your excuse.

Hope this helps and don't be afraid to try different branches of the same store.

I just started making reduced sized color and/or black and white copies at Kinkos and then scanning these on my regular sized scanner at the house.

For original art collectors this is the way to go 100%. You're not scanning this stuff to reproduce and keeping the proportions correct for the next person down the line isn't an issue, so just throw it on a photocopier. Then scan them with a regular scanner at home or on the self-service machine.

Doesn't scanning something for personal use, including online galleries, websites, blogs, etc. constitute Fair Use under Title 17 of U.S. Copyright Law? As long as you're not scanning it with the intent of selling those copies, I think you're ok. Maybe Kinkos doesn't care about intent and is just trying to protect itself with a blanket policy about copyrighted work.

Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code

§ 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include —

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

So if marvel decided they wanted all the art back you would have to fork it over? Are we paying these high OA prices just to be the custodian of the art or do we own it?

So if marvel decided they wanted all the art back you would have to fork it over? Are we paying these high OA prices just to be the custodian of the art or do we own it?

There are two different issues. The object, the piece of paper that you buy, is the artist's to sell and yours to keep. The copyright on the image, and the ability legally reproduce it in any way they see fit, remains with Marvel. That's true with "real" art too. When I sell a painting I'm not transferring any reproduction rights to the person who buys it. Those remain with me. All they're getting is the object.

I'm pretty sure they refuse to reproduce any image that the customer doesn't own the copyright to.

They did the image on my business cards after I said public domain even though I included Copyright info under the image.

Chris: Nice business cards, btw... ;-)
Thanks grin.gif

I'm pretty sure they refuse to reproduce any image that the customer doesn't own the copyright to.

They did the image on my business cards after I said public domain even though I included Copyright info under the image.

I can't answer for that, but this is their policy verbatim- "FedEx Kinko's requires written permission from the copyright holder in order to reproduce any copyrighted work."