• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Favorite Covers Contest

235 posts in this topic

Upstaging Pontoon is not very nice! 893naughty-thumb.gif

sorry.gif

Mica, sorry haven't had time to keep up with this thread but will we be setting up a new thread just to list our nominations?
They are listed on this page which shows a thumbnail of each cover that was nominated. Silver Age Favorite Covers confused-smiley-013.gif It was the link from the first post, and has been updated as we've gone along.

Give it a few seconds to load as there are over 230 thumbnails.

Upstaging Pontoon is not very nice! 893naughty-thumb.gif

sorry.gif

No sweat! Better to get it up there sooner before the thread went elsewhere. thumbsup2.gif I don't have a scanner at home so I couldn't get to it until this morning when I brought the book to work. Besides, that's a sharper copy than mine.

Out of all the pre-pre-Marvel hero DC covers I've seen by him, that one is the most pre-Marvel heroesque. Some of his others have a DC house-style feel to them.

Are you going to put up a definitive list of nominations?
Well now that everyone has glanced at the old nominating page, I've also made an alphabetical page here--> Alphabetized Silver Age Favorite Covers The great thing about the old page was that it gave you a good mix and feel for the Silver Age.

And it made many of us glance at covers that we wouldn't normally notice as we hurriedly tried to find our favorite cover. cool.gif

Are you going to put up a definitive list of nominations?
Well now that everyone has glanced at the old nominating page, I've also made an alphabetical page here--> Alphabetized Silver Age Favorite Covers The great thing about the old page was that it gave you a good mix and feel for the Silver Age.

And it made many of us glance at covers that we wouldn't normally notice as we hurriedly tried to find our favorite cover. cool.gif

Mystery in space #90 has disappeared.............. 893whatthe.gif or has been mis-alphabetized........the one book i nominate - sure.......... insane.gif

Mystery in space #90 has disappeared
I found it. It's still on the old page.

Glad you spotted it.

It just didn't make it to the alphabetized page. (That took a lot of sorting to put those in order....and btw, Thor is in the T section not "Mighty Thor".

Mica, sorry haven't had time to keep up with this thread but will we be setting up a new thread just to list our nominations?
They are listed on this page which shows a thumbnail of each cover that was nominated. Silver Age Favorite Covers confused-smiley-013.gif It was the link from the first post, and has been updated as we've gone along.

Give it a few seconds to load as there are over 230 thumbnails.

Sorry what I meant was where do I list my top 10? On a separate thread?

Sorry what I meant was where do I list my top 10? On a separate thread?
Oh, OK, I gotcha. thumbsup2.gif

It's a couple hours early but I'll go ahead and post....Just a second.

news.gifnews.gif

Okay, everyone, this is it! Time to vote for your favorite Silver Age cover. (yes we're a few minutes early)

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

There are three simple steps for casting your vote:

1) Cut and paste the following ballot to your pm.

1st favorite cover (#1) = 10 points:

2nd favorite cover (#2) = 9 points:

3rd favorite cover (#3) = 8 points:

4th favorite cover (#4) = 7 points:

5th favorite cover (#5) = 6 points:

6th favorite cover (#6) = 5 points:

7th favorite cover (#7) = 4 points:

8th favorite cover (#8) = 3 points:

9th favorite cover (#9) = 2 points:

10th favorite cover (#10) = 1 points:

2) Add the TITLE AND NUMBER of your favorite cover after the appropriate choices on the ballot above.

3) Send a copy of the ballot to BOTH mica AND ComicBookGuy via a pm on these boards. We will each tally the votes separately to be sure the final tabulation is correct.

Be sure to send us your ballot by midnight March 28th.

Until then, thanks for participating, and... 893crossfingers-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

Personally, I don't think they had the best DC covers in the mix. There are quite a few Adams covers that are great. But, this is just my opinion.

To me, layout is what captures the eye in a great cover, and that was Kirby's forte. Adams was also awsome, but i think the colourfulness of Marvel's characters helped tip the balances. The only DC covers i found striking were the ones that had an interesting use of shade, or had the awsome colour/layout combo that Marvel mastered... headbang.gif

I had 9 Marvels, 1 Gold Key and 0 DCs. A bit different than the BA contest for me.

I had my wife (who doesn't now anything about comics or the publishers) pick out her 10 favorites for fun and her picks were quite interesting. She had 5 Marvels, 2 DCs, 1 GK, 1 Whitman, and 1 Classics Illustrated. Five of her picks made my list as well, which I thought was surprising given the number of great covers. Oh, and I didn't let her know any of my picks or favorites before having her vote.