• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

What I think about CMA, is that over all, is consistently fantastic. Fantastic in the sense that the covers(especially the later ones) are not your typical covers. You see Mole men and trolls, talking tigers, Robots and street posters all doing things that you don't see in real life(nor in most superhero comics). I had seen 3 copiesof 132 this year(it has to be one of my favorite covers). One of them was a Crowley copy that was up on Heritage in an earlier Signature Auction. Needless to say, I didn't buy that one because the reserve was too high(though it was a better copy except for page quality). I had a 147, which I should have back before the end of the year. The last 20 issues of CMA, really have an appeal to them that, in a lot of ways, is better than say the 51-90 run. I am happy to have my recent acquisition of 27 and 37. Unfortunately, the scans are dreadful. I will be reworking those before too long. Oh, yeah just picked up a Whiz Comics #126 CGC 8.5 Crippen "D" copy. Off-White to White pages cloud9.gif

Great display, Timulty!

I second the motion on the 132! thumbsup2.gif

At any rate, the collection consisted of mostly Disney comics. However, there were a few stunning golden age DC comics in there as well...

The disney's were astounding. They looked like they had just rolled off the presses. The crown jewel of the collection was a Walt Disney Comics and Stories #1 that was flawless. I don't know what it would slab for, or if it has ever been slabbed, but in my opinion it was 9.6 with an argument for 9.8. All of the comics had bone white pages.

I'll see if I can dig up any of those old crappy pictures. Steve Geppi bought the entire collection and to my knowledge he still has them all.

Wow! 893whatthe.gif You've got my undivided attention now. The pictures of all the great looking Duck books are awesome! hail.gif

I immediately had the same thought as tb had, whether the WDC&S #1 that you sold to Geppi is the one that he slabbed as a 9.4. It's hard to believe that there might be 2 9.4 copies of that book in existence.

Ciorac, are there any distinguishing characteristics of the Crescent City books? I have a few high grade slabbed copies of some of the books that are shown in your pictures and I am just wondering they might be from the collection.

Must have missed this post with your question originally. Sorry. There were no marks of any kind that I can remember on any of the books. However, if you send me scans of the ones you have I may be able to tell you if the are CC copies or not. I made note of some of the defects.

I thought I would make an updated contribution to this thread.

Sweet books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The top 3 are just back from CGC. How come there's White paper product,

hanging out of the bottom of the inside cover?

893whatthe.gif CGC missed loose pages! They should`ve given these books a Qualified Label!!!!

Just kidding. I`m sure that`s just the microchamber paper they put in every slabbed book between the cover and first page. Sometimes the paper shifts a bit and protrudes below the bottom edge.

How come there's White paper product,

hanging out of the bottom of the inside cover?

Hold the book bottom side up and gently top the bottom of the slab and the micro paper will magically return to it's proper place... thumbsup2.gif

I notice your Action 75 has "SN" on the cover. I believe that indicates it is a Cookesville copy. Many of Bob Overstreet's books came from that collection.

So THAT's what the "SN" is. I've often wondered. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

You have any info on Cookesville to share? popcorn.gif

I notice your Action 75 has "SN" on the cover. I believe that indicates it is a Cookesville copy. Many of Bob Overstreet's books came from that collection.

So THAT's what the "SN" is. I've often wondered. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

You have any info on Cookesville to share? popcorn.gif

Not much. When we sold the Crescent City Collection to Geppi, part of the deal was trade. He allowed us to enter the vault and find some books to make up the trade portion of the deal. As you know, he had purchased Bob Overstreet's collection and we were able to flip through a large portion of it. Bob hung out with us that weekend and he told me about the "SN" code on many of the books I saw there. I even acquired some of them because they were so nice. I'm afraid the exact details of who bought it and when are gone from my memory. Matt Nelson would probably remember, he rarely forgets details like that. SN meant something like Syndicated News or something like that.

I think Cookesville, or Cookeville (not sure which) is in central Tennessee.

Shoot Matt an email and ask him if he remembers.

Well, I have another shot's worth of GA material, so here is my third post to this thread. The RED RAVEN came in today, which is now the centerpiece of my collection. I have been very fortunate this year to be able to attain a lot of books I have wanted for years (ever since the Gerber Journals came out).

There has been so much amazing books turning up in various threads lately (my fav's being the FOX and CENTAUR threads)... its so hard to visit a thread and NOT get sucked back into a collecting vortex!

Hopefully this shot inspires some more group shots...

ENJOY!! cloud9.gif

1414874-groupshot3POST.jpg

1414874-groupshot3POST.jpg.6ae2e965d46905a3979e891c46e84dbc.jpg

Edited by RyanH

That is totally awesome! Your collecting tastes are phenomenal, IMO, and you've chosen very wisely on the covers you've gone after. I can't wait to see this collection grow!

Thanks loads CM!! Coming from someone who has an amazing array of books, that is high praise! Yes, I am very cover driven.

Unfortunately, the collection may not grow for a while... time to take a break for a while. Still a few good stragglers out there I need to pay for, so those will be posted when they get in. I think you in particular, CentaurMan, will enjoy them.