• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,325 posts in this topic

While spending last weekend in Oklahoma City for OAF-Con I had an interesting conversation with a board lurker.

He asked me how much enjoyment I could get out of a collection made up entirely of slabs.

He thought since I generally post stuff in holders that that was all that I collected. Au contraire mon frere!

Here are a few...

groupshot1.jpg

Picked up the Foxhole 4 in Baltimore out of one of Marc Nathan's boxes.

I have been looking for a nice copy of that book for the last twenty years. Super geeked about that one.

The Liberty 15 came from a boardie at San Diego last year. It is a really cool cover. I had never seen one before and it just grabbed me.

The same thing happened with the Real Clue. Bought a collection about ten years ago that had a beat copy.

I fell in love with the cover and started looking for a nice one. I lucked into two in the last couple of years. It isn't a rare book.

I gave one to a friend as a present. Ah, the gift of comics!

Anyone who likes sci-fi should check out the ACG title Operation Peril.

The series contains mostly war stories but in the middle of the run (issues 4 - 10 or so) there are a group of incredible outer space and monster covers.

The issue pictured is #5. A super-cool book.

We bought a near complete collection of ECs through the store about nine months ago.

250 or so books, almost all well read, a small handful restored, a great batch of affordable books for inventory.

Except one...Haunt of Fear 17. For some reason that one book survived in absolutely gorgeous condition.

I have a few slabbed Gaines books but not that one. My second favorite Ingels cover behind 18.

You do have an excellent eye for great covers. As I scanned your group shot before reading the narrative, I was taken by the Foxhole, Real Clue and Liberty :applause:

The series contains mostly war stories but in the middle of the run (issues 4 - 10 or so) there are a group of incredible outer space and monster covers.

Those books are only for collectors with a high tolerance for boring and bland art and stories.

OperationPeril6.jpg

While spending last weekend in Oklahoma City for OAF-Con I had an interesting conversation with a board lurker.

He asked me how much enjoyment I could get out of a collection made up entirely of slabs.

He thought since I generally post stuff in holders that that was all that I collected. Au contraire mon frere!

Here are a few...

groupshot1.jpg

I have been looking for a nice copy of that book for the last twenty years. Super geeked about that one.

The Liberty 15 came from a boardie at San Diego last year. It is a really cool cover. I had never seen one before and it just grabbed me.

The same thing happened with the Real Clue. Bought a collection about ten years ago that had a beat copy.

I fell in love with the cover and started looking for a nice one. I lucked into two in the last couple of years. It isn't a rare book.

We bought a near complete collection of ECs through the store about nine months ago.

250 or so books, almost all well read, a small handful restored, a great batch of affordable books for inventory.

Except one...Haunt of Fear 17. For some reason that one book survived in absolutely gorgeous condition.

I have a few slabbed Gaines books but not that one. My second favorite Ingels cover behind 18.

Love 'em! I owned the Salida Foxhole 4 years ago & sold it for a song

Here are a few...

groupshot1.jpg

What is she doing on the real clue cover? Poisoning someone's cup of tea?

Here are a few...

groupshot1.jpg

She's adding creamer to her coffee.

Here are a few...

groupshot1.jpg

She's adding creamer to her coffee.

I wouldn't mind seeing a group shot of "Dan's Dirty Dozen"....... your 12 favorite books (at the moment.....) :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I wouldn't mind seeing a group shot of "Dan's Dirty Dozen"....... your 12 favorite books (at the moment.....) :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's like asking me to choose my favorite child! :o

My ACG and ACE collection at the moment. I used to have more but paired it down to these favorites. As much as I enjoy putting together runs of books and massive boxes together, I also enjoy boiling the collection to just a few prized issues.

26ED5EB2-F653-4676-9FC4-EE9DC88A5DE0.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

Fantastic Fears!

One of my favorite series of Precodes. Title shortened to simply Fantastic for the last two issues due to the incoming heat of the Code.

Favorite issues are:

5 (Ditkos early story "Stretchy Things")

6 (awesome cover and papercutter story).

987CEEE1-884B-46D8-82DF-55088DE53450_1.jpg

Edited by Darth Corgi

My ACG and ACE collection at the moment. I used to have more but paired it down to these favorites. As much as I enjoy putting together runs of books and massive boxes together, I also enjoy boiling the collection to just a few prized issues.

26ED5EB2-F653-4676-9FC4-EE9DC88A5DE0.jpg

Sweet group shots!

I forgot how much I like that Forbidden Worlds cover. Goes on list! And that Adventures into the Unknown looks tasty! :insane:

Here are a few Things!

Finally got all the gang together for a family photo.

Having read then all, I can verify what they say about this run of horror books is true. There isn't a clunker in the bunch. They ALL make great reads.

762AFA06-CAA6-4B4F-9B92-DE55A0ABE5F8.jpg

Simply amazing to see all those together!! :)