• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery box of approx 150 - 200 GA Comics arriving today

1,277 posts in this topic

not another uncle...but that was just the shed...apparently there's an estate, that's all i've heard...i'm basically at the opposite end of this thing and getting information out of people is next to impossible. I wouldn't say the story changes every day, but a little more information comes out.

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

(For extra credit, imagine that he had just gone straight to Ebay with these books. Would anyone have noticed?)

I agree sumo.gif

Does that offend anyone? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

And then he began listing the books on Ebay. One at a time. Again, building anticipation, increasing awareness, and MARKETING HIS PRODUCT TO THE HILT.

(For extra credit, imagine that he had just gone straight to Ebay with these books. Would anyone have noticed?)

To be fair, some of us seem to be pretty jaded about the comic industry at this point. Whether this was a manufactured event (I don't think so) or not, it still allowed board members to experience something out of the ordinary. Heck, if I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars to go to a rock concert, I expect to be entertained since I paid for it.

Here, that entertainment was free.

If only for a moment, some of us vicariously experienced the joy of finding a comic stash. Comic Collecting for me is about the hunt, not about the ownership. I get more enjoyment coming across a 30/35 cent variant or a Pre-unity Valiant in a dollar/25 cent box than I do from owning a slabbed book. I own a lot of Superman vs Spider-man Treasuries because I like the process of finding and buying them... but when Comic Collector Shop or Heroes had a huge stack of them at their booth, I didn't buy a single one. Perverse, but true. insane.gif

Yes, this thread is now about the marketing of those books. None of us are here purely for the love of comics really. This is the CGC board after all. It's a commerce related board and essentially the marketing and online customer service component of CGC's operations.

What this thread HAS done is get me interested in GA books... Love those covers!

So I decided a long time ago the only ethical way to do this is to sell 100% of everything, pool the money and everyone takes their cut. That way you have no question asked and I sleep at night.

That's is great, JC. But you know what? That si YOUR decisiopn based on YOUR life and values. And when you talk like this you are essentially setting yourself up as God and the Only Role model to follow. The attitude is incredibly insulting to an individual.

You are so proud of your [embarrassing lack of self control] values that every time you try to slam someone on the head with them you diminish yourself and your integrity and end up looking like the pompus windbag you really are.

I agree sumo.gif

Does that offend anyone? insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Nope, it's been entertaining. If I was coming into ownership of this box, I would do whatever it took to market the heck out of it. Good for Krighton for not just merely listing these on eBay, to get lost in the flood of comics that get posted daily. There are books written about how to drive traffic to your eBay sales. Apparently, they should add this technique. Not only am I not offended, I have been entertained, and have learned something about marketing. I would dream about this kind of publicity for my auctions.

not another uncle...but that was just the shed...apparently there's an estate, that's all i've heard...i'm basically at the opposite end of this thing and getting information out of people is next to impossible. I wouldn't say the story changes every day, but a little more information comes out.

See what I mean, guys? 27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

But isn't it rather presumptuous to think that the only people bidding on these books on Ebay heard about them here? confused-smiley-013.gif

No one is presuming that, but if you think there isn't a disproportionately large number of GA collectors (and general Big Wheels) on this board as opposed to others, then you've got another thing coming.

If I were going to start an ad campaign, I'd start with where the money is, wouldn't you?

And look, he's even started talking about the NEXT "treasure trove" that is apparently contained in the "estate" (whatever the hell THAT means). Where was the mention of that in the initial story? Or has he heard more in the last two days from his uncle that he couldn't have learned in the "eight months" it took for the original set of books to get here?

Hopefully this helps

I just deleted one of posts from earlier in the thread to counteract your post padding..

And this post will self destruct in 15 seconds

flamed.gif

Ze-

Hopefully this helps

I just deleted one of psts from earlier in the thread to counteract your post padding..

And this post will self destruct in 15 seconds

Ze-

He did attach an image.