• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which is the better movie, X2 or Matrix: Reloaded?

Which is the better movie, X2 or Matrix: Reloaded?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better movie, X2 or Matrix: Reloaded?

30 posts in this topic

Nope, I have come to understand that Matrix-Heads are not to be conversed with, like those surly hobos on the street asking for change.

Just lower your head and walk on by....

I thought the X2 movie was FAR FAR better than the Matrix-Reloaded movie.

MR had great fight scenes and a cool car chase, but nothing else.

Nope, I have come to understand that Matrix-Heads are not to be conversed with, like those surly hobos on the street asking for change.

Just lower your head and walk on by....

And X-Men Heads are OK? 27_laughing.gif

It's because they confuse "over your head" with "incomprehensible".

I don't think either scenario is great for a mainstream film, but I can respect a film that talks over my head. That's something that I didn't find to be a problem with MR. I didn't like it not because it was over my head, but because the choices they made were "incomprehensible" - that is, they made no sense at all.

Such as the first act's much hated Zion dance scene with the troupe from STOMP. Yes, from a story point of view I can accept that they would have a big party. From a viewer's perspective the scene is overlong and annoyingly edited with slow camera pans and pedestrian shots of people dancing right out of every video clip on MTV (except that we can see nipples!). And the fight scenes.... every time that rubbery CGI Keanu showed up I cringed. It took me right out of the live action and into a videogame. If I wanted to watch CGI clips I would have stayed home and played my XBOX games.

The middle act is silly. The Oracle tells us that there are older programs floating around, builds up our expectations for at least interesting visuals and foes and we only get Vampire bodyguards that do little (and die easy), the Casper twins, an annoying french guy that designs cakes that make women in the Matrix orgasm, a petty girlfriend who turns in her boyfriend because Neo gives her a good kiss, and a little guy that makes keys. The big Neo fight is like the third or fourth big Neo fight we've had. I did like the freeway scenes a lot - they started me thinking there might be hope to this film after all.

The final third of the film is a masterpiece of non-linear editing... a good thing if your film is MEMENTO and it is designed in such a fashion, but a bad thing if you are telling a linear story of action and reaction. Every incomprehensible time jump took me, as a viewer, out of the film again. Neo meets the Architecht and I no longer care. The Architecht scene is interesting and starts to open up new possibilities of just who and what Neo is, and just what the real world and Zion are but the journey to get there made the payoff dull.

Perhaps the problem is that we went into the film looking for another great, groundbreaking film like the Matrix and got merely more of the same (but not as well done or as fresh as the first Matrix was). A much different reaction than hearing that a film is bad and then trying to find redeeming things about it to disprove that negative reaction.

Kev

And X-Men Heads are OK? 27_laughing.gif

I wouldn't know, and as you probably already read, I've stated that X2 really doesn't have a story per say, and is more one big action scene.

It's not a great movie by any stretch, but if I had to pick between X2 and MR, X2 takes the day no doubt about it.

Dear god did someone actually like the last 2 matrix movies???????? what a pile of [!@#%^&^] and the thing that makes it most vile is i saw the whole cast on charlie rose talking about how there lives have changed and they see things differently now and how the new matix movies are changing the face of motion pictures and so on and this was before part 2 came out . after i saw it i was like "are u kidding me ?'what a farce, part one rocked but the ever elusive wachowski bros really licked u know what when they came up with part 2 and 3 boooooooooooooooooooo and so on. i didnt like it. however x 2 rocked , and the magneto escape scene was sweet. no contest here im afraid x 2 wins in my books

after reading some posts i feel i have to reply again about matrix 2. this is a rant no doubt about it. how many questions in the movie are answered with not one but 2 or 3 more questions? well thats intelligent writing. not to mention the beginning fight scene , before it began i said to myself i hope he doesnt just fly away after 10 mins of fighting and make the whole scene pointless and guess what he did after not 10 but 15 mins of fighting? he flew away. case closed, i understood the movie and was very dissappointed by it and the fact it had no ending which wasnt resolved any better after part 3 . what good is a truce, the humans still live in the ground and the machines still use people as power . stupid waste of my time and i didnt evern get to hear johhny utah say WHOA.

Well I finally saw X2 on dvd. Saw Reloaded in the theater. Did not like Reloaded. It felt like they could not properly progress the ideas so well put forward in the original and were reduced to undoing some of what the original did. It is a shoddy, lazy way of screenwriting.

X2? I was completely taken with it. In fact, I would rank it as the best of the current group of comic book movies. Beyond that, I would also rank it high simply as a movie. One of those timkes when the sequel is superior to a good original.

Best thinks about it? Better character development and insight. Smoother -script. Amazing conitnuity. No "over the top" climax that turns into a special effects show for 10 or 20 or more minutes. Very even pacing. And most important: I cared about and believed the characters and their relationship. A really well done film, not just a well done comic book film.

I really liked the original Matrix-it definitely had plenty of potential. With each sequel I was let down. I defintely think the car scene and the Merovingian scene were the best (along with the soundtrack). The third left me numb and angry. I think only Lucas could better the Matrix trilogy in terms of missing the vision of these movies. I mean, who really cares about Anakin! Turn evil already, you brat!

We probably should have replaced Matrix with "Lord of the Rings". Now that's a trilogy worth discussing!