• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

Mark,

Do you still have your Tec #31. I think that should be one of your top 3. poke2.gif

Mark,

Do you still have your Tec #31. I think that should be one of your top 3. poke2.gif

Oh geez, I totally forgot!!!! Not only that one but my All American #16. Neither are on my website as they are not "truly" for sale or part of a specialized collection. I just decided to pull them back to allow their investment potential to rise.

You are absolutely right. Either one replaces the Crack ashcan.

My #1 personal grail is a book that has everything I could ever want. It is the rarest DC book, it has a Creig Flessel cover, and it is in amazing condition with bone-white pages. Double Action Comics #2:

1166789-DoubleAction2%282%29.JPG

Just awesome, just awesome. Each of your books. hail.gif

mad.giftongue.gif

I was disappointed you didn't bid on any of my recent Uncle Scrooge auctions!

how well did you do?

mad.giftongue.gif

how well did you do?

Oh, I did great (amazingly all of the books went to just 2 buyers), but Bonds bids on almost every book under the sun, so to not even get a token bid from him was heart rending. frown.gif

mad.giftongue.gif

how well did you do?

Oh, I did great (amazingly all of the books went to just 2 buyers), but Bonds bids on almost every book under the sun, so to not even get a token bid from him was heart rending. frown.gif

tonofbricks.gif I was going to bid, but by the time I was, all the books had pretty high bids. Glad you did well! yay.gif

mad.giftongue.gif

how well did you do?

tonofbricks.gif I was going to bid, but by the time I was, all the books had pretty high bids. Glad you did well! yay.gif

flowerred.gif I was just giving you a hard time. poke2.gif

In no particular order...

Action Comics #43 CGC 9.0. One of the classic Superman covers of the Golden Age. Picked this up many years ago for $1150. This was the highest graded copy until last year, when both a 9.2 and a 9.4 were graded.

action43.jpg

Thrilling Comics #11 CGC 9.0. This is the cover that got me interested in Nedors and Schomburg. Great cover showing Doc Strange decking a Nazi a full year before Pearl Harbor. This is the Larson copy, and having had dinner with Mr. Larson and his family at last years SD con forum dinner, I don't think I can ever let it go. LOVE this book. Picked it up about 5 years ago for $1100 from a fellow Nedor collector.

thrilling11.jpg

Fighting Yank #5 CGC 9.4. This copy is from the collection of Charles Strong, an editor for Nedor who kept a single copy of every book he edited. My Exciting #30 and Thrilling #33 & #38 are from the same collection. The orange cover is very unusual for the Golden Age. I love how Schomburg composed this cover. Lots of little details. I owned the book raw for many years before having it slabbed, and it's newsstand fresh, with amazing page quality. Purchased a long time ago for $220!

fightingyank5.jpg

Fighting Yank #5 CGC 9.4. This copy is from the collection of Charles Strong, an editor for Nedor who kept a single copy of every book he edited. My Exciting #30 and Thrilling #33 & #38 are from the same collection. The orange cover is very unusual for the Golden Age. I love how Schomburg composed this cover. Lots of little details. I owned the book raw for many years before having it slabbed, and it's newsstand fresh, with amazing page quality. Purchased a long time ago for $220!

fightingyank5.jpg

Jeff, what was the sales history of the collection, if you know? Did you buy the book from Strong or through a dealer. Sounds like a missed opportunity for a sweet pedigree designation by whomever secured the collection.

Bought the book from a dealer who ran ads with the collection in two or three issues of CBG many moons ago(early 90's?). I don't know if he got them from Charles Strong or not. Can't remember his name, but I have it at home. I can post his name and the year the books were offered when I get home tonight.

As for pedigree designation, I don't know if there were any keys present, or how many books were in the collection. But, the quality of the books was incredible. I suspect that the America's Best #6 that I purchased from Heritage originally came from this collection. The colors are extremely vibrant.

In fact, when I submitted them to CGC, Steve called me because he thought the Exciting #30 might be the Church copy. Maybe I'm too honest, but I told him about the Charles Strong collection.

I wish I'd had more cash at the time the books were released, as back then, many people didn't realize that Schomburg had done so much work for Nedor, and the prices were quite low. I picked up the Thrilling #33 because it was a Gerber no-show, and the Fighting Yank #5, Exciting #30, and Thrilling #38 because they were either Gerber 8s, or because the copies in the Photojournal were awful, signaling to me that they were tough to find in high grade. Turned out to be a good move, as these books rarely or never come to market.

I have an article about Charles Strong in my files somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. His name is really cool...sounds like a character out of a Nedor comic!

action43.jpg

thrilling11.jpg

fightingyank5.jpg

Incredible books! Those Action covers are starting to get to me.

I have been going through the Gerber journals and made a list of the ones I really like and there is one coming up in the Heritage Auction that i will be shooting for.

Please post more books.

Great idea for a thread, RHG, and very impressive books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

When I delve into collecting again, I hope to have a couple of nice examples to put up here.

My only complaint is that you limited it to your top three books. Personally, having spoken to you briefly about what is in your collection, I want you to make it "top 50 books." poke2.gifstooges.gif