• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

Adam, those books are absolutely awesome! They look like they may be pedigrees. Is there an Allentown in there?

I used to have a high grade Lou Fine Allentown. Wonder where that one went. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

While I'm unable to pick only 3 comics, I will at least provide my 3 favorite Lou Fine and Charlie Sultan comics. This was easier than it sounds because these are my only comics with Lou Fine and Charlie Sultan covers.

Hey Adam, is that a miscut on the Wonderworld #7? poke2.gif

OK, just kidding. yay.gif

While I'm unable to pick only 3 comics, I will at least provide my 3 favorite Lou Fine and Charlie Sultan comics. This was easier than it sounds because these are my only comics with Lou Fine and Charlie Sultan covers.

Adam;

Some superb looking GA books you got here as part of your amazing collection! hail.gif

What kind of condition would you say the WW #7 is in and what would the page colours be? The book looks absolutely gorgeous to me, especially since I don't have a copy in my own collection. I had to changed my mind on completing my HG run from issue #3 to #13 since I was never able to pick up a nice looking #7 before the prices on the Fox books took off in the mid-90's.

How long have you had this copy for and did you have to pay over guide for it at the time? Most important question of all, any plans to sell it in the near future (for a reasonable price)? 893crossfingers-thumb.giftakeit.gif

Might inquisitive ....

for a man who posts no images. poke2.gif

Maybe if you take a pic of your Wonderworlds we can complete a virtual set? popcorn.gif

Still since you want the complete story, I'll start at the beginning. I was born at a very early age ...

Adam, those books are absolutely awesome! They look like they may be pedigrees. Is there an Allentown in there?

Alas, none of these are pedigrees, though each copy is very attractive. Having seen the MH copies of all 3 books and the Allentowns of the Wonderworlds (which I would prefer over the copies I've posted), I'm still pretty happy as I did not have a chance to buy any of the others, nor could I necessarily afford it without selling off beaucoup books.

The Wonderworlds are from the same collection and the only clue I'll give is "Gladiator."

Looking back I may have made the scans too big (my monitor is 1600 x 1200) so I'm providing the smaller "group shot".

FineTrio.jpg

The Detective #15 looks very nice, but does it have 2 creases in the upper right-hand front cover? If so, do you still grade it a VF/NM (either way, it is a truly beautiful book).

FYI - in case no one has mentioned this (I didn't read the entire thread) this classic "bad-guy-looking-in-the-mirror-at-the-good-guys-coming-to-the-rescue" is not a cover that was swiped from Flessel. In fact, it was swiped by Flessel. It came from a pulp entitled Phantom Detective (forgot the issue number, but I'm sure someone will be able to help). Two later (and very obvious swipes) are the covers of More Fun Comics #65 and Master Comics #48.

The Detective #15 looks very nice, but does it have 2 creases in the upper right-hand front cover? If so, do you still grade it a VF/NM (either way, it is a truly beautiful book).

FYI - in case no one has mentioned this (I didn't read the entire thread) this classic "bad-guy-looking-in-the-mirror-at-the-good-guys-coming-to-the-rescue" is not a cover that was swiped from Flessel. In fact, it was swiped by Flessel. It came from a pulp entitled Phantom Detective (forgot the issue number, but I'm sure someone will be able to help). Two later (and very obvious swipes) are the covers of More Fun Comics #65 and Master Comics #48.

The pulp connection to comics is still not completely documented or, necessarily widely understood. Steranko started his History of Comics with the pulps and I think that was appropriate.

I have always been a fan of Creig Flessel. His work was perhaps the finest out there in the 1930's. Some of his classic covers were swiped for years by other artists. This is one of them -- Detective #15:

1166775-Detective15%28MH%29%282%29.JPG

This is not the one you're thinking of, is it? - Phantom Detective 1933 v.1 # 1 - First issue -The Emperor of Death -

1175352-PD-V01N1s.jpg

1175352-PD-V01N1s.jpg.105cfb45d8c7b759663619c083f0ec61.jpg

Alas, none of these are pedigrees, though each copy is very attractive. Having seen the MH copies of all 3 books and the Allentowns of the Wonderworlds (which I would prefer over the copies I've posted), I'm still pretty happy as I did not have a chance to buy any of the others, nor could I necessarily afford it without selling off beaucoup books.

The Wonderworlds are from the same collection and the only clue I'll give is "Gladiator."

Those are the nicest Wonderworlds that I have seen that are not either Church or Allentown copies.

If you are referring to the crease that is in the yellow just above the "e", that is a "printer's crease," which occurred during production. This type of flaw is given much less weight than a crease caused by post-production handling. The only meaningful flaw in the book is the chip of color missing on the upper right hand corner. It looks like someone may have caught it on a piece of tape while taking it out of a mylar. Based on my experience with CGC's grading, that flaw would not be enough to take it out of the 9.0 range.

Learned Hand, we would love to see your top 3 books. Can you post them?

Those are the nicest Wonderworlds that I have seen that are not either Church or Allentown copies.

The WW 7 is the third nicest I know of, but not in the league of the Allentown or MH. Both the Allentown and Larson copies of the 11 have spine splits, while this one is about NM.

Adam, I've been admiring the Atom Age books you've been posting for a while now - but am equally impressed with that copy Wonderworld #7. Wow! hail.gif My favorite Lou Fine cover!

Do you have more incredible pre-1946 GA books you've yet to scan?

Adam, I've been admiring the Atom Age books you've been posting for a while now - but am equally impressed with that copy Wonderworld #7. Wow! hail.gif My favorite Lou Fine cover!

Do you have more incredible pre-1946 GA books you've yet to scan?

Not near as many as RHG or jbcomicbox.