• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

Adam, Killer Wonderworlds!! hail.gif I have a # 7 & # 11 myself , nowhere close to the ones you have in condition. Beautiful!! cloud9.gif & that Scoop is no slouch either.that's a book you never see come up for sale . You don't think Charlie Sultan was inspired by Hit comics # 5 BTW? wink.gif You know they did work together in the same shop "Lou Fine" "Eisner & Iger. I met George Tuska some years ago & he was talking to me about Sultan , Fine ,etc. He told me that Louie was the "Best with a brush" in his words.You could see the twinkle in his eyes when he talked about Lou Fine. I then showed him my copy of Hit comics # 5 he first thought it was Gil Kane . I told him Gil was influenced by Fine , but no it was indeed a Fine cover. He could see it then. He then went on to show it to his Wife , Great lady BTW. Both were saying how beautiful Lou fine's art was. I really enjoyed talking with the Tuska's that day & sharing in the memories with someone who was there in the Golden age of comics.

"Same way Punch 1 was "inspired" by Fantastic Comics 5."

Jon, I forgot about that one . foreheadslap.gif Great covers also. Did Charlie Sultan do the Punch # 1? If not do you know who the artist was on that cover? I have a Fantastic Comics # 5 , I may have to check out some of those Punch & Dynamic Comics in the future. cloud9.gif

"Same way Punch 1 was "inspired" by Fantastic Comics 5."

Jon, I forgot about that one . foreheadslap.gif Great covers also. Did Charlie Sultan do the Punch # 1? If not do you know who the artist was on that cover? I have a Fantastic Comics # 5 , I may have to check out some of those Punch & Dynamic Comics in the future. cloud9.gif

GCD hints at Tuska for Punch 1 which I can't confirm. It doesn't look like Sultan.

Sultan's style is more evident on Punch 2, which is a better designed cover. Sultan clearly imitated Lou Fine's inking, but his designs are not direct copies. I love both Hit 5 (jb's copy is cloud9.gif) and Scoop 2.

Alas, none of these are pedigrees, though each copy is very attractive. Having seen the MH copies of all 3 books and the Allentowns of the Wonderworlds (which I would prefer over the copies I've posted), I'm still pretty happy as I did not have a chance to buy any of the others, nor could I necessarily afford it without selling off beaucoup books.

The Wonderworlds are from the same collection and the only clue I'll give is "Gladiator."

Those are the nicest Wonderworlds that I have seen that are not either Church or Allentown copies.

The WW 7 is the third nicest I know of, but not in the league of the Allentown or MH. Both the Allentown and Larson copies of the 11 have spine splits, while this one is about NM.

Adam;

Are the MH's and the Allentown's generally acknowledged to be the nicest copies of the early Fox books?

Probably never should have gotten rid of two of my Allentown WW's during one of the early Manning auctions. But curiousity got the better of me since I wanted to see how the CGC game worked.

Can't really complain since one of them got a 9.6 and sold in the auction for almost 7X OS guide. Strongly doubt that I would be able to get the same price now even though the mutiple would now be only just under 4X OS guide.

My gut feeling tells me there are just too many nice GA books out there with Heritage around, in combination with some other mitigating factors.

Alas, none of these are pedigrees, though each copy is very attractive. Having seen the MH copies of all 3 books and the Allentowns of the Wonderworlds (which I would prefer over the copies I've posted), I'm still pretty happy as I did not have a chance to buy any of the others, nor could I necessarily afford it without selling off beaucoup books.

The Wonderworlds are from the same collection and the only clue I'll give is "Gladiator."

Those are the nicest Wonderworlds that I have seen that are not either Church or Allentown copies.

The WW 7 is the third nicest I know of, but not in the league of the Allentown or MH. Both the Allentown and Larson copies of the 11 have spine splits, while this one is about NM.

Adam;

Are the MH's and the Allentown's generally acknowledged to be the nicest copies of the early Fox books?

Probably never should have gotten rid of two of my Allentown WW's during one of the early Manning auctions. But curiousity got the better of me since I wanted to see how the CGC game worked.

Can't really complain since one of them got a 9.6 and sold in the auction for almost 7X OS guide. Strongly doubt that I would be able to get the same price now even though the mutiple would now be only just under 4X OS guide.

My gut feeling tells me there are just too many nice GA books out there with Heritage around, in combination with some other mitigating factors.

Don't forget Larson copies or Nova Scotias. And the WW 3 that Heritage has tried to sell on more than one occasion is a smoking nice copy that is most definitely not the MH. Also, the Fox Allentowns are only the Wonderworlds and Mysterymen, so on other titles you need to look to a different pedigree/copy. I know of a few unpubliscized copies that are of very high quality, so I have to assume there are a few more, but not anything that would include all the Lou Fine issues. There there are issues like the 11 that seem to be prone to problems like the spine split and so you can't trust the usual suspects.

Which Wonderworlds and which sale, if you don't mind? I could go look it up but I'm too lazy to sift through my catalogs. 27_laughing.gif

Many people get prices that were ahead of their time due to philanthropic efforts of certain coin dealers.

Which Wonderworlds and which sale, if you don't mind? I could go look it up but I'm too lazy to sift through my catalogs. 27_laughing.gif

They were issues #6 and #13 and were in the Greg Manning auction sometime around October 2000 (I believe?).

As I've said before, decided to test the market by breaking up the WW run since I was never able to find a nice copy of issue #7. Decided to sell the #6 because I didn't really care for the cover. Believe this copy graded out to only a 9.2 and sold somewhere in the mid $4K range if I remember correctly.

Sold the #13 since it was the last issue in my run and it would just mean that my partial run would now end at issue #12 instead of issue #13. No big deal to me at the time. This one graded out to a 9.6 and sold for something like $5,750 (with the BP juice) when it was guiding for only $850 at the time. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif27_laughing.gif

Not a bad price since I had picked it up from Harley a few years earlier in trade for a couple of books at only double guide. Even better since those two books costed me only about $450 back in the early 90's. Actually, Harley also had the Allentown copy of issue #14 at the same time which I was stupid enough not to have picked up at the time. I was going through one of those phases around '96 where I was simply refusing to put anymore new money into comics. foreheadslap.gif

They were issues #6 and #13 and were in the Greg Manning auction sometime around October 2000 (I believe?).

As I've said before, decided to test the market by breaking up the WW run since I was never able to find a nice copy of issue #7. Decided to sell the #6 because I didn't really care for the cover. Believe this copy graded out to only a 9.2 and sold somewhere in the mid $4K range if I remember correctly.

Sold the #13 since it was the last issue in my run and it would just mean that my partial run would now end at issue #12 instead of issue #13. No big deal to me at the time. This one graded out to a 9.6 and sold for something like $5,750 (with the BP juice) when it was guiding for only $850 at the time. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif27_laughing.gif

Not a bad price since I had picked it up from Harley a few years earlier in trade for a couple of books at only double guide. Even better since those two books costed me only about $450 back in the early 90's. Actually, Harley also had the Allentown copy of issue #14 at the same time which I was stupid enough not to have picked up at the time. I was going through one of those phases around '96 where I was simply refusing to put anymore new money into comics. foreheadslap.gif

I almost bought the WonderWorld #13 from harley when he had it, it has HIGH ink reflectivity and is a real beauty, far nicer than the Allentown #14 IMO. I think guide was about $350 and he wanted $1400 when I looked at it (rough numbers I recall).

West

Adam;

Don't forget Larson copies or Nova Scotias. And the WW 3 that Heritage has tried to sell on more than one occasion is a smoking nice copy that is most definitely not the MH. Also, the Fox Allentowns are only the Wonderworlds and Mysterymen, so on other titles you need to look to a different pedigree/copy. I know of a few unpubliscized copies that are of very high quality, so I have to assume there are a few more, but not anything that would include all the Lou Fine issues. There there are issues like the 11 that seem to be prone to problems like the spine split and so you can't trust the usual suspects.

I love the pre-war Fox books (Lou Fine et. al.)

I have a significant number of Church Fox books (Mystery Men, Wonderworld, Fantastic- with descrete issues missing Still seeking the Church 4 and 5 I have

the Nova Scotia 5 Scattered Church of US Jones, Rex Dexter, Green Mask, Blue Beetle. Church Samson 1 and 2, Larson 3-5. Science Denver 1, Larson 2 and 3, Cosmic Aeroplane 4...You get the idea. My Wonder 2 is the Allentown, and my Wonder 1 (Overstreet copy)....is easily 9.4 or better (cannot figure out if it just is a nice book.....or from some pedigree) My Weirds are just some "nice copies" The #1 is the Comstock copy---gotta couple larsons andone Church

My one "pig out" is the MH Mystery Men 3 and WW 11 with also the Larson copies.

Interesting, when it comes to the end of runs like Weird 20 or Eagle 4, Rockfords are what I have found. Tough books in any condition.

Oh as to those "Gladiator" copies----Adam, you would have to agree that they truly have an "educational pedigree"!!!!!!!

Jon

I almost bought the WonderWorld #13 from harley when he had it, it has HIGH ink reflectivity and is a real beauty, far nicer than the Allentown #14 IMO. I think guide was about $350 and he wanted $1400 when I looked at it (rough numbers I recall).

West

At one time, it was listed as a Lou Fine cover in Overstreet. I ordered it from Harley, sent the check, received the book, and thought it was an ugly Lou Fine cover and sent it right back.

Here is my low grade WW7 and MM3. Not too nice, but clean and I own them.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

wonder7.jpg

Feel any better about your copy now? grin.gifflowerred.gif

At one time, it was listed as a Lou Fine cover in Overstreet. I ordered it from Harley, sent the check, received the book, and thought it was an ugly Lou Fine cover and sent it right back.

Adam, are you referring to the WW #13 or another book? Is the cover on #13 done by Fine?

Hey, at least you have a copy 27_laughing.giffrown.gif

Thanks, no worries here. thumbsup2.gif Believe me, I'm nothing but delighted to have found a WW #7 at all, after years of looking.

I had assumed you were all-Archie, all-the-time, 143ksk...you don't dabble in Fox books, do you?

I've actually owned a fair number of Fox books--mostly the GGA titles, but some of the early ones, too. I pretty much sold all of them to finance the Archie quest, though... But that doesn't stop me from being jealous of other people's books 27_laughing.gif

Adam, are you referring to the WW #13 or another book? Is the cover on #13 done by Fine?

I was referring to the #13, the same copy (Allentown) mentioned by Lou Fine and Timely.

13 is not Lou Fine, last I knew but Joe Simon.

West

West,

I assume you must have seen the book in 1995 when the guide had it listed for $375. GA books were so hot that year that Overstreet went and released a GA update mid way through the year in the fall. Just checked the GA update and the price had been raised to $600 by then with the full increase to $700 by the time of the annual guide in 1996.

Actually, that must have been THE year for Fox books since they all took a huge jump in prices during that year. For example, 1995 was the year that WW #3 went from $2,100 up to $4,200 in the GA update before settling in at $5,000 for the 1996 annual guide. If you think that was hot, that was the year MM #1 also went from $2,100 all the up up to $7,500 in the mid-year update on its way to $8,500 for the 1996 guide. 893whatthe.gif I guess Overstreet was just trying to prove to people that year that he was not so conservative and slow with price increases sometimes, although I personally thought that these rapid price increases kind of killed the Fox books for awhile. Never ended up buying another Fox book after early 1995 (except for the #13) since the prices had just gone too high by then.

Back to the Allentown WW #13, I must have bought it around early 1996 prior to the release of the guide since I remember a trade price of around $1,200 to $1,300 which worked out to roughly 2X guide at the time. I also agree that the exterior of the WW #13 was nicer than the #14, although I thought the interior pages may have actually been nicer on the #14. Should have bought them both since I would have sold off the #14 instead, and still have the #13 in my collection. foreheadslap.gif

Great books batman_fan and point five. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif