• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

River City and Spokane Pedigrees

19 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me about or direct me to a thread where these peds are discussed? I've seen some copies recently and they are stunning. I'm basically looking at which ones have better production characteristics like white pages. Thanks-John

THE SPOKANE COLLECTION - In the heart of Spokane, Washington an individual in his 70s had been living a quiet and secluded life. From the mid-1940s until the mid-1950s he had amassed a hand-selected collection of comic books. He thought so highly of his collection, in fact, that he had a refrigerated meat locker built in his basement to house his beloved comics. As time went by, he knew that his collection had accumulated some value, but not until sometime in the late 1990s, when some friends of his made a detailed accounting of the books, did he realize just what kind of value they really had.

In early 1998 Steve Fischler, of Metropolis Collectibles, and Vincent Zurzolo, of Vincent's Collectibles, were contacted and eventually were able to purchase the entire collection. The ultra-high grade Spokane collection encompassed primarily the Science-Fiction and Horror genres, but also included superhero and various esoteric titles.

Identification - Spokane books are identifiable by their incredibly white pages and extremely clean glossy covers. They also have a very distinctive odor.

Desirability - Because Spokane books frequently rival Mile High books in their overall quality, the whole collection was gobbled up in record time. Spokanes now trade regularly in the 2x to 3x range and often for as much as 5x guide for the high demand titles and issues.

- Greg Manning Spring 2000 Comic Book/Comic Art Auction Catalog

RIVER CITY COLLECTION - The River City collection first came to light in early 1998 when a widow in Sacramento, California, contacted Charlie Zimmer and Ed Hanson, tow local estate dealers, to sell some material that her late husband had accumulated. In addition to comic books, there were comic strips, pulps, toy soldiers and guns. The woman did not want to sell the whole accumulation at once, so Zimmer and Hanson bought some of the comics, most of the comic strips, and all of the toy soldiers and pulps. They referred her to Brian Peets of A-1 Comic in Sacramento, who eventually bought the remaining comics. Peets, who introduced the books at the 1998 WonderCon convention, referred to them as the River City collection, named after Sacramento, "The River City". Soon after, Ed Hanson offered some of his comics on eBay. Several comic book dealers subsequently established working relationships with Hanson to buy and sell these books.

The River City collection primarily consisted of comics from the 1950s, covering all genres with an emphasis on horror and sci-fi. The collection was disseminated through many channels and, in the case of Hanson, with no reference to River City, so it is impossible to know how many books were in the original hoard. However, it is believed that there were well in excess of 4,000. The River City collection was discovered within a few weeks of the Spokane collection, which overshadowed it. For this reason, the River City collection never received the proper recognition to which it was justly entitled.

Identification - Most River City books bear a distribution marking on the front cover, handwritten in pencil, blue ballpoint or grease pencil, consisting of an "S" or an "L" followed by month and day separated by hyphens (for example, S-9-18).

Desirability - Because the River City collection was stored in boxes in an outdoor shed, quite a few of the books exhibit signs of exposure to the elements and many have interior covers with tanned edges. Despite these problems, the majority are flat and clean with excellent page quality, deep colors and stunning gloss. The very best River City copies rival, and sometimes even surpass, the other top pedigrees. They can sell for three to five times guide or even more, as in the case of Startling Terror Tales #11, which sold for ten times guide in Greg Manning's April, 2000 auction.

- Greg Manning February 2001 Comic Book Auction Catalog

In early 1998 Steve Fischler, of Metropolis Collectibles, and Vincent Zurzolo, of Vincent's Collectibles, were contacted and eventually were able to purchase the entire collection. The ultra-high grade Spokane collection encompassed primarily the Science-Fiction and Horror genres, but also included superhero and various esoteric titles.

Nice story, but false. Steve and Vinnie were contacted after Mark Haspel and I purchased approximately 220 of the best books from the collection. They bought the rest after finding out where the collection was from a third party.

Brian

Can anyone tell me about or direct me to a thread where these peds are discussed? I've seen some copies recently and they are stunning. I'm basically looking at which ones have better production characteristics like white pages. Thanks-John

What did you see? popcorn.gif

Meat locker=white pages. Shed=cream or worse. confused-smiley-013.gif

Knew that. What books did you see?

If you price books high enough, you get to keep them around longer. cloud9.gif

For reference:

Identification - Most River City books bear a distribution marking on the front cover, handwritten in pencil, blue ballpoint or grease pencil, consisting of an "S" or an "L" followed by month and day separated by hyphens (for example, S-9-18).

planetcomics70cgc9.0.jpg

Thanks for the info on the pedigree. Now I understand the marking with the grease pencil.

For reference:

planetcomics70cgc9.0.jpg

Thanks for the info on the pedigree. Now I understand the marking with the grease pencil.

hm, that arrival date almost looks like some kind of futuristic tatoo.