• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Walking Dead....Over

61 posts in this topic

Me another forumite were just talking about how low the print runs are getting on titles. If the market on comic books should ever heat up(a longshot) some titles could be a little of challenge to put a run together.

An example are the marvel romance books that came out this past February. The print run on those was 7000-9000 of each if I recall. Should anyone down the road ever want to pick these up it could be a little difficult.

The thing is that almost everybody takes care of their books so getting nice copies may not be a problem. The problem could be that there is not enough to go around if you actually wanted the comic and not the TPB.

Just a thought. 893blahblah.gif

I don't really understand your title.

Anyway, print runs will definitely be an issue on formerly unpopular books or independants. When they do get popular, the prices will be out of control. I guess its nice if you have the books.

I've been trying to complete Walking Dead since nearly the beginning. I'm still missing issues 2 through 5. I have a lead on 5. Getting close but it will cost me a few dollars to close it out.

Pat

I just sold a run of 1-7, missing 6, but with issues 2-7 signed by Kirkman and Moore for $620.

Yes, that's right $620. Look up the completed auctions for brettsstuff (me) from last week. The guy paid instantly.

The Walking Dead is one of my favorite current series, but for the love of all that's holy, I'll take the money and a friggin TPB.

I noticed this a little while ago and just sold a run of 1-4 but didn't want to post about it because it would've been spammy. I can't understand bidders, though. I saw #1 going for $120, #2 for $75, and so one, so I listed 1-5 one week and only #2 sold. My #1 got no bids at $80. Disappointed, I relisted them and sure enough, #1 sold for almost $140. The others sold, too, except for #5. Weird, but I'm happy. $140 is better than $80.

Makes me wish I hadn't sold my #1 a year ago. I had no clue it was worth any kind of money. It was an afterthought to list it at all. Tossed it up at .99 hoping it'd get one bid, and it sold for $40. Naturally I had to peek around to learn why it had gone that high.

Wish I had kep buying it rather than wait for the trade.

When this series first came out, one of the local stores in Philly had plenty of number 1s just sitting there. I got issue one for cover price, I wish I'd purchased all he had on the shelf now. I've been reading it ever since, but missing issue 6 which I think has a very low print run. the trades are good but the individual covers just rock.

I think I paid $50 for mine, I forget exactly, but I got it over a year ago

Low original print runs + increase in popularity = increase in back issue prices, of course, just makes sense. And we've seen it before. How mcuh do first printing TMNT issues go for?

When this series first came out, one of the local stores in Philly had plenty of number 1s just sitting there. I got issue one for cover price, I wish I'd purchased all he had on the shelf now. I've been reading it ever since, but missing issue 6 which I think has a very low print run. the trades are good but the individual covers just rock.
Hey, I'm a philly local too, what store?

893scratchchin-thumb.gifm, there were a bunch of #6ses up on ebay for not huge money when i listed my not NM copy as a $3 BIN here in the marketplace. I figured $3 was ok for what was selling for like $5-$8 in higher grade.

I picked up a 9.8 (see the grading forum) for under $40 from my LCS a couple weeks back. It's a kirkman file copy as he supplied the LCS with a few runs. I plan on getting it graded, selling it and then buying another copy and get it SS for nothing.

Anybody think it's worth getting a real high grade copy of Purge graded?

I'm really beginning to think that it's time to unload my run...

I have a full run including #1-10 in NM to NM+, purchased from my LCS as they came out. I love the title and it's one of my very few "must have" new comics each month, but with the sort of numbers I'm seeing on Ebay I think I can find it in my heart to let them go. I knew the first couple of issues were in demand, but I had no idea that they were consistently breaking the $100 mark. Seems to me that a sharp #1 could soon be commanding $200.

PS- Seems to me that of the early issues, #3 should be a toughy in NM+. That white cover will easily pick up smudges (mine that has a couple of light smudges along the spine)

I'm really beginning to think that it's time to unload my run...

I have a full run including #1-10 in NM to NM+, purchased from my LCS as they came out. I love the title and it's one of my very few "must have" new comics each month, but with the sort of numbers I'm seeing on Ebay I think I can find it in my heart to let them go. I knew the first couple of issues were in demand, but I had no idea that they were consistently breaking the $100 mark. Seems to me that a sharp #1 could soon be commanding $200.

PS- Seems to me that of the early issues, #3 should be a toughy in NM+. That white cover will easily pick up smudges (mine that has a couple of light smudges along the spine)

If you are serious about selling then please send me a PM. I "purchased" a set and was scammed. The seller hasn't sent the books, refuses to answer e-mails and has a fake contact number on eBay. I've initiated a paypal chargeback. I'm distraught this has happened so if you would consider selling a set let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...N%3AIT&rd=1

I've been watching the prices on eBay as well the last couple of months with some agony. This is also one of my favorites series, and I've got a complete run of raw issues up to the current issue on the stands, including a couple of issue #1's, one of which being signed by Tony Moore. I had a set of dupes from issue #2 to #12 that I sold last year, and I'm kicking myself now.

The biggest question I'm grappling with right now, is whether or not to sell the 9.8 graded copy of issue #1 that I have. After watching 2 of them go for well into the $300 range, it's hard not to put it up for sale. Nevermind the 9.6 graded copy of issue #2 that I have.

I talk to other friends that are collectors, and one says SELL!, while the other says KEEP! Each time I see one sell for the prices they do, I keep the graded books out of the box just a little bit longer...

I've of course got the trades for reading, and I stopped actively buying new comics a few months ago, save for a very select few. So, I find myself questioning the logic of sitting on books that the market seems to want so direly. What's one to do? Christo_pull_hair.gif

The biggest question I'm grappling with right now, is whether or not to sell the 9.8 graded copy of issue #1 that I have. After watching 2 of them go for well into the $300 range, it's hard not to put it up for sale. Nevermind the 9.6 graded copy of issue #2 that I have.

Sell now while it's hot. You simply can't lose. The book could peak at $400 in CGC 9.8, but most likely it's already reached it's top price. Nine times out of ten, when books blow up in price like The Walking Dead 1-5 have, they'll come right back down to earth within a year.

Sure they have low print runs, but so does every other book these days and almost every copy has been preserved in NM or better condition.

I'm one of the biggest TWD fans on this board. I may never sell this Walking Dead collectible, but I sold off all my single issues last month. I'm happy with the TPBs and a pile of cash.

I'm one of the biggest TWD fans on this board. I may never sell this Walking Dead collectible, but I sold off all my single issues last month. I'm happy with the TPBs and a pile of cash.

But don't you find yourself still wishing you had them in your posession sometimes, being a fan of the series? I know that may sound kind of silly, but just being able to pull out the originals and thumb through them can be fun. Maybe it's just something I need therapy and medication for? confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess it's just that little voice inside that takes pride in the fact that you actually own something in the modern era that's actually gone up in price. Honestly, I don't know how to explain it. However, that's the voice I'm battling with. These days though, I don't know where my path as a 'collector' lies anymore. Since I stopped buying new comics (mainly due to it getting out of control (see medication notes)), I'm now looking at mostly sticking to graded books, or very specific titles that I truly loved.

This should be a no-brainer decision, and very easy, but how do you overcome that little niggling voice? makepoint.gif

Sure, I'd love to have copies of the originals, but right now, I'd rather have the (IMHO) stupid money they're bringing on ebay. Give it a year and the hype will die down. I'd be willing to wager that you'll be able to buy them back for 1/2 what you sold them for.

Sure, I'd love to have copies of the originals, but right now, I'd rather have the (IMHO) stupid money they're bringing on ebay. Give it a year and the hype will die down. I'd be willing to wager that you'll be able to buy them back for 1/2 what you sold them for.

not if the series is still going strong 893scratchchin-thumb.gif