• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A note on selling and buying here (part 2)

161 posts in this topic

The CGC forums have gotten too popular...too many people here you don't know...too many worthless posters...we're a victim of our own success...the Golden Age of the forums has come and gone. frown.gif

Not taking sides and i have a lot of time for both Andy and Darrell but what i will say and what Darrell told me is that he himself had been counting on a completed sale that fell through for a substantial amount of money from another board member (whom i also have a lot of time for and is one of my favourite posters). These things happen unfortunately.

Add me to the list of forumites who took the time to provide multiple scans for svndst1030, only to result in a no-sale. Now, I'm not person_without_enough_empathying about that-- we never had a deal, so no harm no foul.

What I would like to see addressed is Andy's quote that svndst1030 was asking for scans because he was just with us. svndst1030 offered to tell "his side" but I notice that aspect has never been addressed.

I have had a lot on my plate lately and ithonestly slipped my mind until you send me another pm. I didnt go looking either. My LCS owner offered me the book out of his own collection.

If you've got that much on your plate and your finances are strapped because of having to fix your car, you should take the time to let the folks who you've offered to buy stuff from know about your situation, and then stop buying comic books until you can afford it. Honestly, it sounds like you're blowing people off because you can and because you think there's no repurcussions.

These were never books that were offered to the public. We were talking via pm's about Adams and October brought it up.

The book that he is talking about now is the Teen Titans 34 variant. That is a $10 book. I can not go out to lunch one day and save $10.

Something didn't quite ring true about your statement.

In any event, whether a deal was done publicly or offline doesn't make any difference. If you stiffed Andy on an agreed deal, you stiffed Andy on an agreed deal. The fact that the books you apparently stiffed him on were pretty small change (the 2 Ultimate X-Men that you said you would take in the thread I've linked to, along with the $10 "cost of a lunch" book) makes you look even worse, in my opinion. Maybe you should just have skipped the lunch, rather than get your reputation shot to hell here.

The books that were in question were never listed in that thread. You have no [embarrassing lack of self control] idea what you are talking about. I still wanted the Ultimate X-men books.

What gets me about the things that are happening here, is that there appears to be a sort of "taking advantage" of the sellers. What I mean is, these same people stiffing sellers on their takeit.gif BINS, would probably take it more serious and follow through if it were done on eBay and their feedback were at risk.

It's like because we have this sort of small "know each other" community here, that some feel they can nonchalantly throw out an takeit.gif, then back out just as easily.

I don't blame Andy (october) for being upset here. When this happens to us on eBay, we start a thread about the deadbeat bidder in comics general and out him to the whole forum. We do this cause it's frustrating to deal with people like that and we want to warn fellow forumites about such people. Why should our feelings about that be any different in this forum marketplace?

I'm of the belief that this marketplace should be a better experience for both buyer and seller over eBay and it bothers me to see it fall to some of the same types of headaches encountered there.

I hate to see wedges like this build between forum members over bad deals, but I think some need to get their priorities in order and think it through before pouncing on a BIN in a thread. I'd rather miss a book here and there than ruin my credibility here over a couple of books I couldn't really afford.

Just keep in mind that we have a great community here, but it's up to us to keep it that way. So let's all think about that going forward in our transactions with one another and go the extra mile to honor our word...cause that's all we got here.

Add me to the list of forumites who took the time to provide multiple scans for svndst1030, only to result in a no-sale. Now, I'm not person_without_enough_empathying about that-- we never had a deal, so no harm no foul.

What I would like to see addressed is Andy's quote that svndst1030 was asking for scans because he was just with us. svndst1030 offered to tell "his side" but I notice that aspect has never been addressed.

You are correct that we never made a deal. You approached me on some books, i asked for scans but they were not in the condition that I wanted.

As far as fcuking with someone else, that wasnt the case either. The other member and I were going back and forth and if he would have listed a book that I needed, I would have traded for it like he offered.

The CGC forums have gotten too popular...too many people here you don't know...too many worthless posters...we're a victim of our own success...the Golden Age of the forums has come and gone. frown.gif

Andy and I were just talking about this a week ago. I have only been registered here a year and a half but visited the forums for almost a year before siging up. In looking back the forum seems to have really changed about 6 mths ago.

sign-rantpost.gif

I'm making a generalization here but in my opinion there are too many new people who can't grade and are passing vf books as Near Mint in the marketplace. I've looked into getting some books but after viewing the scans I had to scratch my head and think what they were smoking.

I am also seeing alot of BIN with total junk listed in the thread. If you don't want your junk why would I want it.

Here is something that has really bothered me lately. If I sell a book I hope it goes to collectors hands to be kept until they find a nicer copy. It pains me to see a book I let go cheap and see it immedaitely flipped. I will let some books go at decent prices because I want to help out collectors not for someone to make a quick flip. If no one was interested then I could care less if you flip it as it didn't sell right away. However, if you flip it as soon as it gets to you bothers me and bugs me even more if you beat out several other collectores that truly wanted it.

...but I think some need to get their priorities in order and think it through before pouncing on a BIN in a thread. I'd rather miss a book here and there than ruin my credibility here over a couple of books I couldn't really afford.

I believe this to be the problem: People are hitting the takeit.gif quickly and then re-thinking their decision after the fact. Hitting the takeit.gif makes it a binding deal that the buyer should then follow through with. If the buyer than has remorse he's welcome to flip his new purchase, but not back out on his/her obligation to buy.

I also want to point out the fact that Andy has yet to mention that I set up a buyer on the deal. The book still sold. If Andy would like to quote a pm then I will too.

It's not a huge deal. My post in the marketplace was more about preventing it from happening again (as I said, several people backed out). I do appreciate you finding me the other buyer. thumbsup2.gif

I am the first to admit that I was wrong and should have asked for another week or so but the book sold.

Hmmm, I've seen this somewhere before.

My belief that "Everyone's a dealer" is clearly evident in how popular this thread is. It also is amazing how strongly some members are quick to defend it and keep the "real dealers" out.

Maybe this forum thread should be renamed a "co-op" and that you have to be a member to buy and sell in it.

Here is something that has really bothered me lately. If I sell a book I hope it goes to collectors hands to be kept until they find a nicer copy. It pains me to see a book I let go cheap and see it immedaitely flipped. I will let some books go at decent prices because I want to help out collectors not for someone to make a quick flip. If no one was interested then I could care less if you flip it as it didn't sell right away. However, if you flip it as soon as it gets to you bothers me and bugs me even more if you beat out several other collectores that truly wanted it.

how about all the people who were taking an april haitus take it, come back in a month and then things will be cooled down. These threads are not productive.

how about all the people who were taking an april haitus take it, come back in a month and then things will be cooled down. These threads are not productive.

I have to take a break in a few days. My roommate is having hard wood floors installed and we can't be there for a few days while the coat of whatever is applied and drying. I hate hotels but thats where I will be living for a few days. yeahok.gif

I was going to stop commenting until I read Buck's post and I thought to myself, what or who is he referring to?

Comment about the total junk in threads -- I guess my feeling is that people can put up total junk, it just won't sell, if it does sell, then someone wanted it. What's that saying? One man's trash is another's treasure... If you feel I or someone else is clogging up the Marketplace with trash, then don't bid. But what would you like to see? I've noticed that it's the books that are less expensive that tend to move.

Grading is loose -- I don't agree with this generalization. I think that I'm pretty accurate and tight. I think divad is. So is GA Collectibles, and I've always been happy with the Beyonder's grading. Nikos is always spot on. I think we've had the most volume of BINs lately... Who are these loose graders that leave you scratching your head?

Look, I understand Andy's frustration. Maybe I've been fortunate, but I have 100% sell through on my auctions (with the exception of slabs and then I am counting the package deal discount I did to move the rest), and more importantly, almost everyone has paid, and paid quickly. The only time people have deferred has been when I have said, more books are coming. Only one forumite backed out on me on a sale, and that was someone who I am friends with here, who is a class act, and truly ended up in a tough unexpected situation. This was for a book that was $100+. In the end, I bought a book from him.

However, I want to say I've been thrilled with the Marketplace BINs. I will continue posting, continue my way of running them, and hopefully continue running deals for people. I've had good transactions with almost everybody -- but I feel badly when I hear stories that other people's auctions are not treated with respect -- and then buyer/seller cannot work out their differences or problems. I just wanted to say that my experiences have been good with everyone and I hope that continues. As long as it does, I will continue to sell.

Brian like I have said before, your grading is spoit on. Hell I could send in those Batman books I bought from you and I would gurantee that they come back exactly as you graded them. Hell they may come back higher.

Am I now a dealer Bob? yes, I confess on some level I am. Except I am a dealer who is selling their own personal collection, and am not necessarily trying to turn a profit on every book. The mentality still, is dealer generated.

That said, I would hope that everyone's experiences as a "dealer" even in this limited capacity, would give them empathy for the full time dealers in making their living.

Andy --

I know you and I have a good relationship on the boards, but my question after reading the PM you sent Darrell is, you did not express how upset you were to him in the PM, and then launched this thread some time afterwards. What happened in between? Is it overall frustration? I just want to clarify and try to be fair. My experiences with Darrell have been good.

I'm guessing that PM came before Andy noticed him posting WTB threads and BINS in other's threads. In reading Andy's initial post it appears he was willing to accept the car situation for Darrell backing out but got a little pizzed after seeing continued buying elsewhere.

Just how I read it anyways.

What happened in between?

I said say seeing the same forumite that owes you money, who declined to honor a deal with you made on the boards, who gave you a semi major life altering event as the reason for non-payment, go forward and hit BINs on other forumites' books for sale, would be equivalent to a slap in the face.

And I think these threads are very productive in providing sellers a blocked buyer list.