• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scoop Article on PCS

24 posts in this topic

Not new news, but it's now been reported in Scoop.

It's pretty much the CGC official announcement, but I was pleasantly surprised by the following bit of editorial input from Scoop which obviously was not in CGC's announcement:

"Because pressing can raise the grade of a book, PSC has been perceived by some collectors as being in conflict with Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC), also a member of CCG."

Run through the Scoop-trade-rag-happy-news-only filter, this roughly translates into: "there has been a raging controversy in the comic collecting hobby over pressing and the huge conflict of interest issues raised by a pressing service being under the same corporate roof as a grading service"

CCG Closes Its Doors in Comic Book Conservation

Industry News, Scoop, Friday, April 07, 2006

The Certified Collectibles Group, (CCG) has formally closed Paper Collectibles Services (PCS). Paper Collectibles Services was developed to meet the needs of hobbyists for reliable professional comic book conservation.

Because pressing can raise the grade of a book, PSC has been perceived by some collectors as being in conflict with Comics Guaranty, LLC (CGC), also a member of CCG. Paper Collectible Services (PSC), which was originally developed for reliable professional comic book conservation, performed comic book pressing treatment, which reduces certain paper wrinkles, dents and creases in the outward appearance of comic books.

In response to PSC closing its doors, many of its key personnel will be transitioning to CGC's restoration detection division, including Chris Friesen and Cantie Brevard. Friesen, who is among the foremost experts in comic books restoration, conservation and certification, and Brevard, also a restoration and conservation expert, will join CGC's restoration detection team.

Steven Eichenbaum, CEO of the Certified Collectibles Group, comments on this move: "Our primary purpose has always been to act in a protective role to the collectibles fields in which we operate. While I feel the value that PCS brings to the market has been misunderstood, we have always listened to all sides of every argument and responded to collectors and hobbyist as a fundamental component of our business development. Ultimately we did not feel that we were serving in the collectors' best interest if there was a perception of conflict between CGC and PCS."

"I'm extremely happy about this move," said Steven Borock, CGC's President and Primary Grader, "I was very unhappy when CGC lost Chris [Friesen] as our top restoration detection expert. I, and many others, consider him to be the best in the world at what he does. Now, not only is he back in the position I originally hired him for, but he also brings with him to CGC another top expert, Cantie Brevard. This is not only good news for CGC, but for the entire hobby as well."

CCG is a group of independent companies which focus on the impartial, independent and expert certification and grading of the collectible market.

Run through the Scoop-trade-rag-happy-news-only filter, this roughly translates into: "there has been a raging controversy in the comic collecting hobby over pressing and the huge conflict of interest issues raised by a pressing service being under the same corporate roof as a grading service"

27_laughing.gif

The Certified Collectibles Group, (CCG) has formally closed Paper Collectibles Services (PCS). Paper Collectibles Services was developed to meet the needs of hobbyists for reliable professional comic book conservation.

Um....which hobbyists were those? yeahok.gif

Um....which hobbyists were those? yeahok.gif

Former coin turned comics dealers? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Well think about it. It's a little nutty. Announcing the closing of a service that 99% of us were not invited to use. Does anyone know anyone on the customer list?

Crazy stuff I tell ya, crazy! screwy.gif

Well think about it. It's a little nutty. Announcing the closing of a service that 99% of us were not invited to use. Does anyone know anyone on the customer list?

And I would go even further to say that 99% of the hobby in general didn't even know it existed let alone be invited to use it.

And I would go even further to say that 99% of the hobby in general didn't even know it existed let alone be invited to use it.

I used PCS for a while until I got tired of Cingular's dropped calls and switched to Verizon Wireless. yay.gif

I like this line too:

Steven Eichenbaum, CEO of the Certified Collectibles Group, comments on this move: "Our primary purpose has always been to act in a protective role to the collectibles fields in which we operate.

I like this line too:

Steven Eichenbaum, CEO of the Certified Collectibles Group, comments on this move: "Our primary purpose has always been to act in a protective role to the collectibles fields in which we operate.

Well, love it or hate it, closing the doors gives them some credibility to that statement. Maybe not in the manner in which it had to happen, though.

well, its the same slogan they have always used. But generally speaking you have to substitute "money" as their primary purpose. But yeah, in the PCS case at least (and hopefully from now on...) they WILL be true to that stated purpose.

well, its the same slogan they have always used. But generally speaking you have to substitute "money" as their primary purpose. But yeah, in the PCS case at least (and hopefully from now on...) they WILL be true to that stated purpose.

Hubba Hubba...money money money....who do you trust?

Me, myself, and I....and a close knit of friends.

In response to PSC closing its doors, many of its key personnel will be transitioning to CGC's restoration detection division, including Chris Friesen and Cantie Brevard. Friesen, who is among the foremost experts in comic books restoration, conservation and certification, and Brevard, also a restoration and conservation expert, will join CGC's restoration detection team.

I had never heard Brevard's name before the recent announcement. Does anyone know the basis for this person's expertise? How much comic book experience has the person had?

And what training again has Friesen had?

I'm not looking to make any particular point here, but I simply don't know the answers.

I asked the question about Cantie Brevard when the announcement was first posted and received no response...I'll probably PM Steve about it. My guess is that Brevard will be doing a ton of work, so it would be good to know his/her experience, not to mention gender so I can get my pronouns right. I imagine it's someone who has worked closely with Friesen for a while? I imagine that's the only way to become good at this is to practice with someone with a great eye?

Dan

I asked the question about Cantie Brevard when the announcement was first posted and received no response...I'll probably PM Steve about it. My guess is that Brevard will be doing a ton of work, so it would be good to know his/her experience, not to mention gender so I can get my pronouns right. I imagine it's someone who has worked closely with Friesen for a while? I imagine that's the only way to become good at this is to practice with someone with a great eye?

Dan

I remember seeing your question Dan, and that no one responded. Does anyone even know the person? Let us know what Steve says. And definitely find out whether the person is male or female!

Looks like I've missed quite a bit in the recent months.

Ran into Harshen (and new hire Kerri hi.gif) at the Toronto Comicon where I found out about the closure of PCS, and although I'm coming to the party late, I think this is definitely a bright light in all rubble left behind by the Ewert scandal.

Friesen returning the resto helm is a solid move in my opinion. From a consumer confidence standpoint, I'd just like to see a little more transparency in the way things are being done at CGC moving forward.

For instance, with PCS being officially out of the pressing game, and people like Matt picking-up the money that has been left on the table, I do have concerns about the disconnect between Matt's services, and CGC's. In order for conservation/improvement efforts to work, it will require a high level of cooperation between CGC and folks like Matt.

But I also believe in giving things the benefit of the doubt.

To this end, and rather than using a wait-and-see approach, I'm entertaining the idea of submitting a book to Matt for pressing, and seeing how its handled from both sides. I'll let you all know how it goes.

In order for conservation/improvement efforts to work, it will require a high level of cooperation between CGC and folks like Matt.

Can you elaborate here? I think some would think that ANY level of cooperation could be as dangerous as just doing it in house...and minimizes goodwill from the closure of PCS. I agree we just can't ignore it (anymore) however.

In order for conservation/improvement efforts to work, it will require a high level of cooperation between CGC and folks like Matt.

Can you elaborate here? I think some would think that ANY level of cooperation could be as dangerous as just doing it in house...and minimizes goodwill from the closure of PCS. I agree we just can't ignore it (anymore) however.

What I meant is that if I hand a book over to Matt to have pressed, I'd like to know that there won't be any issues in handing the book off to CGC on my behalf. Many intimations can be drawn by the relationship, but I'm trying not to dwell on them. I'm looking at it from a procurement angle.

What we do know is that most press jobs handled by folks like Matt will make their way to CGC. I'm simply raising the point that in such a situation, there is an additional step prior to grading which will require logistical attention. A single hitch in the process, and by default CGC would automatically be thrown into the fray.

Didn't you mention in a thread that you had a partial list of their clients?