• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BARKS FC 367 Brings 10X Guide111

42 posts in this topic

Please please please please please crop your scans before you post them! Why do you insist on torturing us by forcing us to scroll right and left on all threads after you have posted a massive scan, most of which is black background? confused-smiley-013.gif

The Gaines books going for that price, YES, I can easily see that...the DUCKS, No......but he has all Duck collectors watching and again, ALL of his auctions go for TOP dollar.

Funny, I reach the exact opposite conclusion.

Gaines books: literally dozens in 9.6 or better for EACH copy, so why pay a huge premium for them? Supply seems to be virtually infinite, as evidenced by every Heritage Signature auction.

Ducks, particularly FCs, and WDC&Ss below 100, in HG, are very very difficult to find, with demand clearly outpacing supply. Makes lots of sense that collectors would therefore pay a premium on those rare occasions when they appear.

The Gaines books going for that price, YES, I can easily see that...the DUCKS, No......but he has all Duck collectors watching and again, ALL of his auctions go for TOP dollar.

Funny, I reach the exact opposite conclusion.

Gaines books: literally dozens in 9.6 or better for EACH copy, so why pay a huge premium for them? Supply seems to be virtually infinite, as evidenced by every Heritage Signature auction.

Ducks, particularly FCs, and WDC&Ss below 100, in HG, are very very difficult to find, with demand clearly outpacing supply. Makes lots of sense that collectors would therefore pay a premium on those rare occasions when they appear.

I'd agree fully with this statement.

The Gaines File copies (at least 12 of each book) make ultra-high grade EC books fairly easy, if somewhat expensive, to find. How many 9.8 Four Color # 9s exist? Zero. How many 9.8 Mad Comics #1 exist? Three! Granted there's like a 10-year gap in between the books, but you can say the same of like Four Color # 300 and Mad Comics # 1.

Duck books were kids books primarily and were treated as such. You can get beaters of the Duck books all day long but anything high-grade is pretty stinkin' rare. smile.gif And the universality of Donald Duck (and the entire Disney universe) makes for a large influx of new collectors. The stories Barks wove keep them wanting more...

Also, with some exceptions the Four Colors and other Dells were not part of any major Pedigree. I'm specifically thinking of the Church collection where supposedly these were the books that the family threw out before calling Chuck. How far back did the Dell/Poughkeepsie file copies go? I can't remember seeing many from the 40's.

The weird part about Disneys and Barks is that these were some of the first comics collected heavily in the pre Overstreet days. In theorey that should mean they weren't tossed around like some other GA books once they were discovered. Then again collectors and dealers can sometimes be the worst offenders in handling books.

Another thought is that if the collections were made in the 60's and 70's its likely that a bunch of high grades are off market as these collectors have owned them forever. Just a thought, based on two large Dell purchases which fit this description.

Also, with some exceptions the Four Colors and other Dells were not part of any major Pedigree. I'm specifically thinking of the Church collection where supposedly these were the books that the family threw out before calling Chuck. How far back did the Dell/Poughkeepsie file copies go? I can't remember seeing many from the 40's.

The weird part about Disneys and Barks is that these were some of the first comics collected heavily in the pre Overstreet days. In theorey that should mean they weren't tossed around like some other GA books once they were discovered. Then again collectors and dealers can sometimes be the worst offenders in handling books.

Another thought is that if the collections were made in the 60's and 70's its likely that a bunch of high grades are off market as these collectors have owned them forever. Just a thought, based on two large Dell purchases which fit this description.

I think that's a possibility, but unless those copies suddenly flood the market, the Duck books should remain very collectable and a good investment.

Please please please please please crop your scans before you post them! Why do you insist on torturing us by forcing us to scroll right and left on all threads after you have posted a massive scan, most of which is black background? confused-smiley-013.gif
Hi: I know, that you don't like my scans, and I would crop them, if I knew how. If you can give me exact instructions, I will give it a try. flowerred.gif

Was it a shinny cover Four color or dull cover no gloss? Yours looks like it had gloss and I've only seen the dull kind.

Ed

The colors in the cover were extremely bright, and it had white pages. I hid high intentions of keeping it, but the money was more important at the time. I would have gotten alot more for it, but I deleted the best scan, when the book was lying flat. The spine was so tight, that when not lying flat, it made it look liike a spine crease or stress mark.

I think the market is just catching up. The ducks books have been some of the worst 'blue chip' investments of the past 25 years so it's nice to see prices catching up to where they 'should' be.. IMO.

Hi: I know, that you don't like my scans, and I would crop them, if I knew how. If you can give me exact instructions, I will give it a try. flowerred.gif

Okay, sorry if I've come across as a about this, but it's gotten to the point where I dread seeing you post a scan (even though you've shared some nice books) because it means wrap around city for all posts below yours until a page is full.

If you have Photoshop, there is a function called "trim" or "crop", that you can use to cut a scan down. There are also ways to resize/shrink a scan. You can also do it on Microsoft Photo Editor, but it's not nearly as easy to do.

Alternatively, PM me your scans first. Although I don't have anything close to the skills of many other forumites, I'd be absolutely delighted to try to cut them down for you. flowerred.gif

Here's your scan after a little resizing.

donaldduck178COVER1.jpg

No comics were harmed in trimming this scan. tongue.gif

Okay, sorry if I've come across as a about this, but it's gotten to the point where I dread seeing you post a scan (even though you've shared some nice books) because it means wrap around city for all posts below yours until a page is full.

If you have Photoshop, there is a function called "trim" or "crop", that you can use to cut a scan down. There are also ways to resize/shrink a scan. You can also do it on Microsoft Photo Editor, but it's not nearly as easy to do.

Alternatively, PM me your scans first. Although I don't have anything close to the skills of many other forumites, I'd be absolutely delighted to try to cut them down for you. flowerred.gif

Here's your scan after a little resizing.

donaldduck178COVER1.jpg

Ok. If I can't figure it out, I will post a tiny scan through photobucket. Then, if anyone wants to view it, they can just click on the image. I have noticed that you do view the books that I post, so I will do my best to keep you interested in my posts. hi.gif

Mike

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm stunned at this price. As a long time Duck collector I can tell you we're notoriously cheap. I thougt my 6X Guide bid would do it easily. It's only a 0.4 and only has OW pages. It may be THE Barks Duck, it's certainly my favorite, but my question is, are 9.4 Barks books going to become good investments or was this an abbr\erration? Would have been a horrible investment for me as I'd never sell it

keith contarino

I'd say most high grade Barks books are good investments...I've seen them do nothing but increase in value over the last few years. 8.5/9.0 Four Colors come to auction so rarely that, yeah, I'd say anything high grade is probably a good investment if you can snag it at a fair price.

That being said, paying ~$6,000 for a 9.4 copy of a later Four Color issue is sort of insane. It's certainly not my favorite Barks duck book and a FC 199 or 178 in 9.4 would have certainly brought in even bigger money!

Wow, that is a rather shocking price for what is a relatively late Donald Duck issue, even though Barks duck books have been fetching multiples of guide the past couple of years. 893whatthe.gif

Any idea what a HG copy of WDCS #31 would be worth in the current marketplace today? I guess this book wouldn't be fetching multiples to guide since it is already priced so high in the guide at over $4K, even though it is a very early Barks duck issue. confused-smiley-013.gif

ft88;

Not sure how far back the Poughkeepsie file copies went with respect to the Duck issues. I have several issues of the Poughkeepsie file copies for Crackajack Funnies from issue #4 through to issue #43. So I guess they run as far back as 1938.

I was lucky to pick them up from a retired dealer in the Detroit area several years ago who had placed an ad in the CBG. He told me that he was selling them for a friend or acquintance, and gave me a sustantial discount to guide since I was picking up so many copies. Sent one of them in for grading (an issue in the teens or lower 20's) around when CGC first started up and it came back as a 9.6 NM+. thumbsup2.gif

Unfortunately, I missed out on his second ad when he had the rest of the run up for sale including issue #9 with the first Red Ryder which I had really wanted. When I called him, he apologized for misplacing my telephone number since he had wanted to give me first crack at the rest of the books. Oh well, I guess you can't win them all. frown.gif

Wow, that is a rather shocking price for what is a relatively late Donald Duck issue

Yes, but keep in mind that "relatively late" here means the 1950s, and if there`s one thing that`s become apparent in recent years, it`s that the 1950s are probably the most difficult period to find HG comics (with the exception of ECs because of the Gaines file copies, but take them out of the equation and ECs become equally impossible to find in HG).

whi is the seller, Execsec2??

I don't think he (she?) posts on here, but execsec brings some of the nicest Barks and EC books to eBay on a regular basis and ALWAYS gets top dollar.

Execsec is Paul Gambaccini, a UK seller. A real top notch seller. His duck auctions always generate a lot of interest. I`m pretty sure he does not post here.

As well as being a high profile comic collector, Paul Gambaccini is a famous D.J. and broadcaster in the .U.K.

Paul Gambaccini Bio

whi is the seller, Execsec2??

I don't think he (she?) posts on here, but execsec brings some of the nicest Barks and EC books to eBay on a regular basis and ALWAYS gets top dollar.

Execsec is Paul Gambaccini, a UK seller. A real top notch seller. His duck auctions always generate a lot of interest. I`m pretty sure he does not post here.

As well as being a high profile comic collector, Paul Gambaccini is a famous D.J. and broadcaster in the .U.K.

Paul Gambaccini Bio

Wow, very cool! I didn`t realize I`d been dealing with a celeb!

Hi,

I came in 2nd here: The night before this auction I ended up drinking with some other comic guys (not often in such a bad state!) and I think the plan was to go all-in on this one. The reason is that it is one of my 3 favorite Disney's.

I had already ordered a snipe for 5678 days in advance and I was expected to up that, but given the horrible state I was in (waking up shortly before the end of the auction) + the insane price raise on Disney ducks last 2 years I left it.

Of course I regret it now but I have a feeling the guy that won it probably had his snipe set up for quite a bit higher then what it went for. But I will give him a fight next time smile.gif

I've met the seller and he is a very friendly person. Top man!

Too bad these don’t come up that often frown.gif

robyx